Coffee

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Coffee

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Coffee

Post by ColumbusParkian »

I was at a media event today at Parisi in Park Place and Pete made for all of us his drink from that competition. It's just ridiculously good. While definitely tasting like coffee, it also somehow seemed to taste like chocolate covered lemons. Hopefully it'll be on the menu after he comes back from the world comp.
Volker Dad
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Volker Dad »

I ran into Pete at "About the Coffee" the other day. Great guy. I haven't had his coffee yet but I'm sure it's ridiculous.

Which reminds me about two things. First, the Parisi coffee shop in Union Station is really good. I don't think this place gets enough attention. Second, everyone interested in coffee should go check out the goods at About the Coffee (https://www.facebook.com/AboutTheCoffee). I bought my Chemex there and they've got all sorts of awesome equipment to browse. They also try to stock some of the best beans from around the country...which they brew for you the second you walk in the door.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Agree on Parisi in US. And I'm glad to see that every time I go by it seems like they have a steady stream of customers.

While we're here I guess, name your top five coffee shops in KC.

1. Broadway Cafe
2. Filling Station
3. Latte Land on the Plaza - great place to people watch
4. Black Dog Coffee in Lenexa - I used to work there a lot when my kid went to preschool near there. Got to know the owner and its a great indie coffee shop in the burbs
5. Parisi in Union Station
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

I think Quay Coffee has to be on my top-five list.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

KCMax wrote:name your top five coffee shops in KC.
1. oddly correct (the best coffee in town, cool space, feels "2013")
2. broadway cafe (nostalgia, people watching, good product, cheap)
3. roasterie - BKS (great product, nice patio, also great people watching)
4. filling station (cool space, good coffee, bonus b/c it's a lunch or juice option)
5. bourgeois pig in lawrence (intimate, cool, and has the bonus of serving liquor as well - KC needs a place like this)
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

chrizow wrote:5. bourgeois pig in lawrence (intimate, cool, and has the bonus of serving liquor as well - KC needs a place like this)
Does Quay Coffee have a liquor license yet? I thought they were trying to get one.

I believe the Opera House has a liquor license.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

kboish wrote:
chrizow wrote:5. bourgeois pig in lawrence (intimate, cool, and has the bonus of serving liquor as well - KC needs a place like this)
Does Quay Coffee have a liquor license yet? I thought they were trying to get one.

Quay Coffee does not... yet.

Opera House does now have a liquor license.
Volker Dad
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Volker Dad »

1. Broadway Café - great coffee, but #1 mostly due to the atmosphere
2. Mud Pie – excellent Americano and standard joe. Also, vegan pastries are great, who knew?
3. Parisi at US -great coffee and exceptional location to drink coffee
4. Oddly Correct - still my favorite cup of coffee in the city, but it’s too pricey for daily consumption and bit too hipster
5. Filling Station – Probably my most regular stop due to proximity and quality of joe, espresso, and juice. Always seems to be crazy busy (a good thing).
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

kboish wrote:

Wait, is Quay Coffee trying to get a liquor license? or are you perhaps confusing it with Opera House?

I'm just saying...a Quay Coffee that sold drinks and stayed open until 10-11pm would might receive a few of my dollars...
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

It would be the Cup and Saucer again, basically
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Volker Dad wrote:I ran into Pete at "About the Coffee" the other day. Great guy. I haven't had his coffee yet but I'm sure it's ridiculous.

Which reminds me about two things. First, the Parisi coffee shop in Union Station is really good. I don't think this place gets enough attention. Second, everyone interested in coffee should go check out the goods at About the Coffee (https://www.facebook.com/AboutTheCoffee). I bought my Chemex there and they've got all sorts of awesome equipment to browse. They also try to stock some of the best beans from around the country...which they brew for you the second you walk in the door.
So, do they sell coffee by the pound? I've been to their website and facebook page - kind hard to tell what they're trying to do. I'll stop by sometime and check it out.

Good, locally roasted beans by the pound are my go-to for coffee. Roasterie is good, but Filling Station/Oddly Correct are the best for my taste.

Broadway Roasterie is also good, but they charge $14-$18/lb and that's just too steep for me. However, they are the only ones that seem to sell good espresso roasts by the pound (Roasterie does, but I don't like theirs as much).

Oddly Correct/Filling Station is $12/lb.
Volker Dad
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Volker Dad »

WSPanic wrote:
Volker Dad wrote:I ran into Pete at "About the Coffee" the other day. Great guy. I haven't had his coffee yet but I'm sure it's ridiculous.

So, do they sell coffee by the pound? I've been to their website and facebook page - kind hard to tell what they're trying to do. I'll stop by sometime and check it out.

Good, locally roasted beans by the pound are my go-to for coffee. Roasterie is good, but Filling Station/Oddly Correct are the best for my taste.

Broadway Roasterie is also good, but they charge $14-$18/lb and that's just too steep for me. However, they are the only ones that seem to sell good espresso roasts by the pound (Roasterie does, but I don't like theirs as much).

Oddly Correct/Filling Station is $12/lb.
Oddly Correct from Oddly Correct pushes $16+. It's the sh!t, for sure, but pricey. I think it's the best in town, better than the roasts they sell to others (again, imo).

About the Coffee appears to be reaching out to baristas and coffee nerds. It's a place to go to find out what's hot around the country and scope out the best equipment available. They're not trying to compete with local coffee shops. At least that's my take. They do sell beans, though I've yet to buy any.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

KCMax wrote:name your top five coffee shops in KC.
1. oddly correct: liked the old space, and with any luck the new space is going to spark a revitalization of Westport & Main.
2. filling station: the one is Westport is charming.
3. hi hat (50th & state line): really, really good Americanos. occasionally George Brett rides over on his little silver scooter.
4. parisi (union station): yep, underrated.
5. broadway cafe: of course.

I can't get into the Roasterie's coffee, especially their espresso drinks. A little too bitter for me.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

Volker Dad wrote:4. Oddly Correct - still my favorite cup of coffee in the city, but it’s too pricey for daily consumption and bit too hipster
I'll see your Oddly Correct and raise you a Thou Mayest.
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

I'm a regular at Quay Coffee and asked the owners this morning if there was any truth to the liquor license rumor. Alas, there is not. They have no plans for selling booze.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

ColumbusParkian wrote:I'm a regular at Quay Coffee and asked the owners this morning if there was any truth to the liquor license rumor. Alas, there is not. They have no plans for selling booze.
Good to know.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kimchi
Pad site
Pad site

Post by kimchi »

My favorite thing about PT's is their refillable glass growlers of "Cold Front" cold brew coffee. Good value - $10 to refill, $17 initially to buy growler. Lasts me 4-5 days & especially convenient to have on hand at home during warm months. http://www.ptscoffee.com/learn/pts-at-the-crossroads
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

good to know! i'd love to have iced coffee at home. i guess this means PT's is open?