Midtown fixture

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
macnw
Colonnade
Colonnade

Midtown fixture

Post by macnw »

A story in the Star this morning stated that the Church of Nazarene is considering pulling out of midtown. Guess what, they are giving serious consideration to moving to the cornfields of Lenexa and taking their headquarters out of midtown KC. Even though I'm not a huge religous person, this could be seen as a major impact. This midtown area(apprx 47th and Paseo) has been making great progress over the last few years. Churches do have a stabilizing effect on neighboorhoods. KCMO needs to find a way to keep this headquarters in KC. Not only for the economic benefit, but for the effect on the community and its surroundings. Let's get former mayor Cleaver's input on this. Any other comments from anyone? Is this a big deal or overblown?
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Midtown fixture

Post by tat2kc »

It is a big deal, but remember, as a church, it pays no taxes at all. The property is a prime candidate for a profit making company that pays taxes. It is a shame they are moving out, but since they don't pay taxes, I'm not sure what kind of incentives the city could offer them to stay in midtown.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Midtown fixture

Post by FangKC »

tat2kc wrote:It is a big deal, but remember, as a church, it pays no taxes at all. The property is a prime candidate for a profit making company that pays taxes.
Yeah, maybe a Berbiglia Wine & Spirits store will open on that location. :lol:
There is no fifth destination.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Midtown fixture

Post by bahua »

Or maybe the city will try to lure a company to open an office there, without having to pay any taxes.

It'd be nice if the Church stayed, though.
KCDevin

Midtown fixture

Post by KCDevin »

i think they should build a large church downtown or at midtown.
alot of cities have noticable churches/cathedrals (although catholic) in their skylines. Yes we have the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception but it is only 80ft tall (doesnt show up much in the skyline other than the gold shine)
Its not that I want something tall. I just want to see a beautiful church in the skyline (get some better looking spires too :))
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Midtown fixture

Post by KCPowercat »

http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc