Oak Park Mall

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Oak Park Mall

Post by Tosspot »

kanasalumn wrote: They would take more seriously if they were in Chevy Broncos
The Bronco was made by Ford. The closest Chevy equivalent would be the Blazer.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i would take Oak Park security very seriously if they forced Chevy to make Broncos for them.  :o
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KCPowercat wrote: Oak park has dress codes as well. Those must be fine since the media types use oak park.
So where is the "P+L style" outrage? Where is the NAACP or the ACLU? Again, what if this happened at Mosaic? It's not that bad if OVERT racism happens in the suburbs, but a dress code at bar district is racist? We'd see picketing and an boycott of the entire Cordish development. Oak Park Mall has had shootings, car jackings, etc. and I'd bet has a higher rate of crime than P+L.

TKC is totally on the mark with this issue.
kanasalumn
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Oak Park Mall renovation + tenants (ongoing)

Post by kanasalumn »

either way, I would take them more seriously if drive other than a BMW or a Smart Car
kanasalumn
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kanasalumn »

I work at the mall but I only pass the B&N and entrance, looks like they are on time?  when B&N be open?
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

kanasalumn wrote: I work at the mall but I only pass the B&N and entrance, looks like they are on time?   when B&N be open?
This month. Does it look ready?
kanasalumn
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kanasalumn »

from a brief look on the street, looks like it.  I jsut have not been by taht wing for a while.  When I am at the mall, working, I am just in the Nordstrom wing the whole time.
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

trailerkid wrote: Bannister was built like an imitation Taubman center-- nice atrium-sized courts, large sculpures, much better aesthetic touches in terms of lighting and design. Architecturally it couldn't hold a candle to places like Galleria Houston, but still seems like a step up from the one size fits all aproach at Oak Park.

I really couldn't see anything like Neiman Marcus attaching its name to Oak Park unless there was a very extensive renovation.  There are malls in Nebraska and Oklahoma that have a lot more going for them architecturally than Oak Park. A good mall space should make you want to spend money and stay for a while-- that place has all the charm of an airplane hanger.

Nice shot of what Bannister offered in terms of aesthetics...notice the wood accenting, lighting on a red piping-type effect...

I wonder what ever happened to that sculpture? I kind of like it.
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

justin8216 wrote: I wonder what ever happened to that sculpture? I kind of like it.
It was moved to UMKC
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Apparently Oak Park now has Swarovski?

CBL is putting some pressure on the Plaza after they took over. Added Lacoste, Lush, Bare Escentials and probably more in the past months. If they got that Nordstrom wing firing on all cylinders I wouldn't be surprised to see Louis Vuitton, Kate Spade, Juicy and some other popular mid to higher end brands set up shop. Oak Park is still a nightmare in terms of aesthetics, but it doesn't seem to be scaring many tenants.
Last edited by trailerkid on Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
kanasalumn
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kanasalumn »

trailerkid wrote: Apparently Oak Park now has Swarovski?

CBL is putting some pressure on the Plaza after they took over. Added Lacoste, Lush, Bare Escentials and probably more in the past months. If they got that Nordstrom wing firing on all cylinders I wouldn't be surprised to see Louis Vuitton, Kate Spade, Juicy and some other popular mid to higher end brands set up shop. Oak Park is still a nightmare in terms of aesthetics, but it doesn't seem to be scaring many tenants.
Eddie Bauer was due to leave the Nordstrom wing this winter after the holidays to an unknown temporary locaation before the new location is ready, but they sign another year lease at current location in the Nordstorm wing until the new unknown location is ready for construction.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

trailerkid wrote: This month. Does it look ready?

CBL says B&N won't open until April along with the new main entrance facade. 

Also, Oak Park is the largest (over 1.5 M square feet) property owned by CBL.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Rainforest Cafe - GONE
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

They hope to replace it with another Restaruant or Retail. Thye are concentrating on the Rainforest Cafe they are opening in Houston,TX. They will accept Coupons/Gift Cards at T Rex or any Landry's Restaruant.
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

I still miss the Paradise Diner, where Rainforest is today. Anybody remember that?
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Rainforest Cafe - GONE
It sounds like Rainforest Cafe lost its lease? I always thought it was a bad fit. RC should now move to one of the gaping holes in the Legends.

Oak Park should bring in PF Chang's, Maggiano's or Grand Lux Cafe. I'm sure CBL has plans as its location is right in the middle of the new B&N and entrance area they're building.
kanasalumn
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kanasalumn »

KCLover wrote: I still miss the Paradise Diner, where Rainforest is today. Anybody remember that?
Yes  Great place.  Funny thing is.  I called Rainforest Paradise all the time when  explain where was Rainforest located at.  LOL
kanasalumn
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kanasalumn »

That is one of 10 store fonts that OakPark wants to move out or move to another location.  I know there are a couple store fonts are stubborn that they do not want to move to a new location. 
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

trailerkid wrote: It sounds like Rainforest Cafe lost its lease? I always thought it was a bad fit. RC should now move to one of the gaping holes in the Legends.
Don't the owners of Rainforest already own another themed restaurant out in the Legends (T-Rex)? 
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

KCLover wrote: I still miss the Paradise Diner, where Rainforest is today. Anybody remember that?
Wasn't that PB&J's first concept?
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain