On-going downtown development projects

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
User avatar
beautyfromashes
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 4508
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:04 am

Re: On-going downtown development projects

Post by beautyfromashes » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:26 pm

TheLastGentleman wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:13 pm
I want tall buildings. All the infill is nice, but the skyline last changed when they built the skylons
Uh, you don’t count the Lights or Kauffman Center or Loews as part of the skyline?

KCTOGA
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 129
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:06 pm
Location: KCMO

Re: On-going downtown development projects

Post by KCTOGA » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:08 pm

beautyfromashes wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:26 pm
TheLastGentleman wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:13 pm
I want tall buildings. All the infill is nice, but the skyline last changed when they built the skylons
Uh, you don’t count the Lights or Kauffman Center or Loews as part of the skyline?
I consider a real skyline changer a 30 plus business tower. I say business tower because of the difference between business and residential floor heights. Hell yes I want something, anything, at least that will rival 1201 Walnut.Think that Strata building will be close as anything we've had in a while.Still holding out hope for the lot just north of Sprint Center. Course I still have that dream about 3 women and....................Oh well!

User avatar
beautyfromashes
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 4508
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:04 am

Re: On-going downtown development projects

Post by beautyfromashes » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:21 pm

KCTOGA wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:08 pm
beautyfromashes wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:26 pm
TheLastGentleman wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:13 pm
I want tall buildings. All the infill is nice, but the skyline last changed when they built the skylons
Uh, you don’t count the Lights or Kauffman Center or Loews as part of the skyline?
I consider a real skyline changer a 30 plus business tower. I say business tower because of the difference between business and residential floor heights. Hell yes I want something, anything, at least that will rival 1201 Walnut.Think that Strata building will be close as anything we've had in a while.Still holding out hope for the lot just north of Sprint Center. Course I still have that dream about 3 women and....................Oh well!
I can understand that dream...the first one, I mean. My dream has always been a situation where all the empty buildings DT have been already redone so developers have to actually start new construction of tall buildings. I guess I just want to bask in the glow that that is actually happening. It’s taken awhile. You can continue on with your equally good dream now.

User avatar
GRID
City Center Square
City Center Square
Posts: 14354
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:20 pm
Contact:

Re: On-going downtown development projects

Post by GRID » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:36 pm

moderne wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:34 pm
Some are easily impressed. Infill is nice in lieu of height.
Don't get me wrong, Downtown KC is seeing some nice infill. I'm just saying those two photos are nearly identical. You would have to be a development nerd to really find the differences without studying the photos and even then, there are not many changes.

If you were to take this same shot from a little higher elevation, you would notice a lot more of the new infill construction. This same shot pre P&L district would be a pretty substantial difference, but KC's skyline of signature buildings has not really changed at all since the late 1980's.

This video shows how much is going on in the Crossroads area (at least around Main St). Lots of infill. There is no reason that downtown KC couldn't get some office towers at the same time though. Well other than companies there being in love with suburban parking lots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJOf71fvGXo

Chris Stritzel
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:27 pm
Location: St. Louis/Kansas City
Contact:

Re: On-going downtown development projects

Post by Chris Stritzel » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:34 pm

GRID wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:36 pm
moderne wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:34 pm
Some are easily impressed. Infill is nice in lieu of height.
Don't get me wrong, Downtown KC is seeing some nice infill. I'm just saying those two photos are nearly identical. You would have to be a development nerd to really find the differences without studying the photos and even then, there are not many changes.

If you were to take this same shot from a little higher elevation, you would notice a lot more of the new infill construction. This same shot pre P&L district would be a pretty substantial difference, but KC's skyline of signature buildings has not really changed at all since the late 1980's.

This video shows how much is going on in the Crossroads area (at least around Main St). Lots of infill. There is no reason that downtown KC couldn't get some office towers at the same time though. Well other than companies there being in love with suburban parking lots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJOf71fvGXo
That video shows good progress on the City Club Apartments and 1800 Walnut. As for me being easily impressed, I see changes in my original pictures shared butt hat's because I'm, not always in KC.

User avatar
FangKC
City Center Square
City Center Square
Posts: 13538
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:02 pm
Location: Old Northeast -- Indian Mound

Re: On-going downtown development projects

Post by FangKC » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:36 am

I think the Mainmark Building is an example of how to do infill in Greater Downtown, and also get some height, instead of just a lot of 3-5 story infill buildings. It's a 12-story building on a narrow footprint. A building like this fits perfectly on corners, and mid-block between existing 1-4 story buildings. It's a good building type for apartments, and also smaller commercial offices that incubate future companies. The only challenge is providing parking for its' added height. That is where you can do interior block garages, and wrap those with a narrow band of apartments to hide them. However, each block is different, so it will be a situational application.

In larger, densely-built cities, you see a lot of buildings like this.

I'd like to see how much it would cost to build a duplicate-sized modern version of the Mainmark, and compare it to larger projects like One Light and Two Light in cost. A building of this size might be more manageable financially for smaller developers, and possibly more could get built than waiting for 20+ story buildings.

I'm not saying we shouldn't build 3-5 story infill buildings. I'm just saying the Mainmark is a good infill type in the right locations.

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 7198
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: On-going downtown development projects

Post by flyingember » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:24 am

approx 5700 sq feet per floor at 12 floots
~68000 sq ft

Two Light was $120 million for 520,000 sq ft at $230/sq ft.
A Mainmark copy would cost about $15.6 million.

Arterra is 200,000 sq feet. At $50 million that would be $250 per sq foot.
A Mainmark copy would be $17 million.

Post Reply