OFFICIAL - Main Street Streetcar Extension

Transportation topics in KC
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: OFFICIAL - Main Street Streetcar Extension

Post by langosta »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:54 pm Why do the new poles for overhead streetcar power lines have to be set right in the middle of newly poured sidewalks?
I was wondering If they will add lights to these poles and remove the stand-alone street lights
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:54 pm Why do the new poles for overhead streetcar power lines have to be set right in the middle of newly poured sidewalks?
Can you cite a specific location? Then I'll check.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

DaveKCMO wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:15 am
The new poles they just started installing south of Pershing, half of them are right in the middle of the sidewalk. I know there's not a lot of space, especially on the east side of Main, but it seems they could have expanded the sidewalk there to make enough room for the poles and enough sidewalk for people to go north and south at the same time without being obstructed by the poles.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Where are the signal priority discussions?
Imarealperson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Imarealperson »

beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:19 pm
The new poles they just started installing south of Pershing, half of them are right in the middle of the sidewalk. I know there's not a lot of space, especially on the east side of Main, but it seems they could have expanded the sidewalk there to make enough room for the poles and enough sidewalk for people to go north and south at the same time without being obstructed by the poles.
So, basically all of the new poles. Awesome.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Imarealperson wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:03 am
beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:19 pm

So, basically all of the new poles. Awesome.
It's far from all the poles but definitely a good amount, especially around the Westin but further up the hill there a few on the east side as well. It just makes me worried that this will be the standard for the rest of the extension. I know there might not be a huge amount of foot traffic right now, but there will be significantly more with people walking to stops. I don't have young kids anymore, but I always think, "could I get a large stroller through this tight sidewalk?". In a few of the places, it wouldn't be possible.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

That stretch -- which hasn't a sidewalk since Crown Center was built -- has a severe slope in multiple directions and probably a lot of drainage issues. Yes, I'm making excuses but that's the reality of a grade change. It is definitely an outlier compared to the rest of the corridor due to the big hill it straddles before it hits the curb.

The OCS poles won't move, so that leaves widening the brand new sidewalk. It meets ADA (48" clearance) and most of it is the city standard of 60".

My guess is that this sidewalk will be used by those going to Santa Fe Place (which doesn't have a sidewalk to its front door anyway). If you're going to Crown Center you'll want to walk east on 27th and north on Grand. If you're going to the park or the WWI museum you'll want to walk south to cross at 27th. If you're going to Union Station you'll want to ride to the next stop (unless there's maintenance or an incident that causes services to short-turn at the new Pershing crossover, in which case there will probably be an accessible bus bridge to go north).

Being one of the few people who have used this sidewalk the moment the concrete was dry months ago, I've had a chance to think about it!
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:19 pm The OCS poles won't move, so that leaves widening the brand new sidewalk. It meets ADA (48" clearance) and most of it is the city standard of 60".
I don't know if tearing out new sidewalks or moving the poles really makes sense at this point. I'd guess the main concern is just looking at every pole placement for the rest of the extension. I agree with your assessment that this probably isn't the busiest section of the streetcar line. It's on a huge hill, most people will be walking on the other side of the street next to the memorial which seems to have more space and there isn't much in that area where people would want to climb the hill to the Memorial stop. Looking at the next grouping of poles that are being placed right now, they mostly look to be in the grass between the sidewalk and the curb. There is one in front of the vet office on the east side of Main that is kind of right in the sidewalk. I just wish the sidewalks were significantly widened to allow sufficient room for both. The road in front of the car wash, for example, there is a 4-foot wide street gap between the curb and the streetcar tracks. Not enough space for a car to park and I'm just curious why they didn't use that as an opportunity to expand the sidewalk, especially in light of where the poles appear to need to be.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Has anyone seen an ETA for new vehicles? Progress photos?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

langosta wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:08 am Has anyone seen an ETA for new vehicles? Progress photos?
This fall! Probably October for the first arrival.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:10 am
langosta wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:08 am Has anyone seen an ETA for new vehicles? Progress photos?
Yay! What changes if any from the first order?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

langosta wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:37 pm
I know for sure there will be better onboard screens. They'll have what's called a "route ladder" that shows where you are in relation to the route. MAX routes are supposed to have that but the system they chose has been buggy.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:39 pm

I know for sure there will be better onboard screens. They'll have what's called a "route ladder" that shows where you are in relation to the route. MAX routes are supposed to have that but the system they chose has been buggy.
Amazing. Will those be horizontal across the walls Ala the static printed maps of today?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Really wish we could fix the "PA Message" on the current cars and the call button interrupting the announcements. A visual ladder would help riders in this regard.

I personally thing "next stop" announcements indicate it's stopping versus like "next station" which just lets you know what is coming up seems confusing for new riders but that's a tiny thing.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:22 am

Really wish we could fix the "PA Message" on the current cars and the call button interrupting the announcements. A visual ladder would help riders in this regard.

I personally thing "next stop" announcements indicate it's stopping versus like "next station" which just lets you know what is coming up seems confusing for new riders but that's a tiny thing.
This is a debate we've had off and on for years. In my book, a rail system stops at every stop, period and request buttons should be unnecessary. I can appreciate the reasons this isn't the case on a streetcar and I can almost agree with them, haha. But I don't like it! :-D
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Aura nightclub using the coned-off section of Main for their valet service tonight with cars literally inches from the two-foot deep pit where track and concrete are being laid. Just curious what happens when someone tries to leave later tonight after a few drinks and dumps their car in the pit.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:10 pm Aura nightclub using the coned-off section of Main for their valet service tonight with cars literally inches from the two-foot deep pit where track and concrete are being laid. Just curious what happens when someone tries to leave later tonight after a few drinks and dumps their car in the pit.
One wonders if they have a valet permit...
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

That’s a sizeable change in sidewalk depth into the road. Love to see it become a much more pedestrian friendly environment all around this corridor
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Impressed by the south end of the Streetcar line. That stretch from about 44th to UMKC was very well thought out and will be really nice.

I'm a bit confused by the part from Pershing to 27th. That multipurpose lane is very wide. I guess I need to see it with pavement markings. I hope it's marked with bike and walking or something because the sidewalks on both sides of main are full of poles.

It seems like those sidewalks could have been done differently since they had a chance to redo all that and get the poles out of the sidewalks.