OFFICIAL - Main Street Streetcar Extension

Transportation topics in KC
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: OFFICIAL - Main Street Streetcar Extension

Post by bspecht »

Westport Rd back open, southbound track completed in the area.
https://twitter.com/BuildKCSC/status/17 ... 7272961049
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Not opposed to the "light touch" but it's largely ignored where it is now (bus only spots) and no enforcement to be found. If we are doing it, why not just do it throughout the entire route downtown where possible too?
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I know some involved have pushed for that. I wouldn't dismiss the pull of pissy businesses and any loss of on street parking.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:20 pm Check this out:

https://cityscenekc.com/redesigned-main ... ndscaping/
Very good news.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

"medians and bump-outs also are planned for Main Street. The idea is to improve the appearance of the important artery that connects the major nodes of the River-Crown-Plaza urban core."

Yes I've noticed some of the new bump outs along Main, and I'm very happy to see them. This should be done everywhere along the original line and other places where we have 'street calming' AKA those stupid plastic bollards and striped pavement.

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

As with the starter line, we have a "continuous improvement" mantra. Worth noting that the downtown streetcar is faster, more frequent, and has higher ridership and customer satisfaction since it launched. We'll keep at it!
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I would sell my soul if they could fix the pulls up to a light and stops with no cross traffic problem just to cross again and stop traffic.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

WoodDraw wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:13 pm I would sell my soul if they could fix the pulls up to a light and stops with no cross traffic problem just to cross again and stop traffic.
That's being worked on! Unfortunately the city has a "set it and forget it" mentality but the struggle continues...
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:18 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:13 pm I would sell my soul if they could fix the pulls up to a light and stops with no cross traffic problem just to cross again and stop traffic.
That's being worked on! Unfortunately the city has a "set it and forget it" mentality but the struggle continues...
I bitch about it to Matt everytime I see him and he's like we know, we know.

I know it's a struggle.

As someone that bitched about the reliability of it as transit early on, it's gotten remarkably better. Using the app, I can pretty much nail my time now. Sometimes they get stuck at union station a bit, but it's good enough I rely on it now.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

What's the latest on making more of the Main Street extension in dedicated right of way? I thought the city passed some ordinance or something to improve that?
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

GRID wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:10 pm What's the latest on making more of the Main Street extension in dedicated right of way? I thought the city passed some ordinance or something to improve that?
You can watch it here: https://kansascity.granicus.com/player/clip/13551

22% was already designed as transit only. They talk a good bit about signal prioritization & types of "interventions" that can be applied to emphasize the transit-only areas. $2-3M cost for upgraded designs.

2/3rds of video is just Councilpeople talking about their pet issues w/ the extension. Robinson doesn't like white, plastic bollards, aesthetically. ha
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

bspecht wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:33 pm
GRID wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:10 pm What's the latest on making more of the Main Street extension in dedicated right of way? I thought the city passed some ordinance or something to improve that?

22% was already designed as transit only. They talk a good bit about signal prioritization & types of "interventions" that can be applied to emphasize the transit-only areas. $2-3M cost for upgraded designs.

2/3rds of video is just Councilpeople talking about their pet issues w/ the extension. Robinson doesn't like white, plastic bollards, aesthetically. ha
He's not wrong. They are dumb and we need a more substantial solution.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

KCPowercat wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:24 pm

He's not wrong. They are dumb and we need a more substantial solution.
100%. Oak through the crossroads looks stupid AF right now with all the plastic bollards. Replace them with real curbs and fill in the dead spaces with vegetation or decorative bricks. It was a good/cheap proof of concept, but now that we know it works and doesn't back up traffic, build a permanent solution.

TONS of intersections in the urban core need real curb bump outs to shrink the crosswalk widths. Even with that "road diet" the crosswalk across Oak at 19th is almost 60ft, when it only needs to be 35ft if they brought the curbs out to current traffic lanes. Also, the plastic ballards do nothing to prevent people from parking on the bike lanes, I see it constantly. heck, even 2 cars parked on the bike lane in this sat photo.... Won't be cheap to do but the city has a $2 billion dollar budget, the money is there.

Last edited by dnweava on Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Totally agree, but in the interim the posts are cheap and quickly installed. They offer no protection from cars, but they do delineate the space better than just a stripe.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Always assumed they were temporary, and we would start seeing curbs eventually. Probably not before Bobby Whitt Jr. retires though.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

Info here: https://kcstreetcar.org/about-streetcar ... nes-study/

Includes best map I've found showing how much of route will be marked transit only: https://kcstreetcar.org/wp-content/uplo ... _10_20.pdf
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

bspecht wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:56 pm
Includes best map I've found showing how much of route will be marked transit only: https://kcstreetcar.org/wp-content/uplo ... _10_20.pdf
Am I looking at that right? The whole extension north of 45th is transit only?
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

But unprotected, which means it will be obeyed as good as the green bicycle lanes at intersections.