OFFICIAL - Main Street Streetcar Extension

Transportation topics in KC
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: OFFICIAL - Main Street Streetcar Extension

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

smh wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:04 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:44 pm ^ dedicated lanes were already in the plans for the north and south end of the extension. What other places would this be possible and what would it look like? Streetcar over grass? Concrete barrier?
Definitely not streetcar over grass. I would not expect jersey barriers. Maybe some concrete curb stops in some locations? Otherwise, I think you're mostly looking at paint and signage which means it will all come down to enforcement. Others would know better, but there might be opportunity to add some signal priority/virtual transit lane technology...but given volumes on Main I don't know if that is warranted.
The proof of concept on Main between Pershing and 27th would be what I’d assume they’d use.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:33 pm
smh wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:04 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:44 pm ^ dedicated lanes were already in the plans for the north and south end of the extension. What other places would this be possible and what would it look like? Streetcar over grass? Concrete barrier?
Definitely not streetcar over grass. I would not expect jersey barriers. Maybe some concrete curb stops in some locations? Otherwise, I think you're mostly looking at paint and signage which means it will all come down to enforcement. Others would know better, but there might be opportunity to add some signal priority/virtual transit lane technology...but given volumes on Main I don't know if that is warranted.
The proof of concept on Main between Pershing and 27th would be what I’d assume they’d use.
I would want to see Jersey Barriers or Bollards at some points.... Maybe intersections at a minimum
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

If it’s modifying the existing construction, you’d have to take parking, because you can’t park in a space if it’s on the other side of a closed off streetcar lane. Would love to see extra sidewalks added in or blocked off bike lanes to take those parking spots.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

langosta wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:46 am What speed was the geometry designed to
Ideally, whatever was posted (mostly 35mph south of Pershing). Since this was designed as mixed traffic around lots of car shit, the streetcar speed will be lower in some spots. Again, another reason why this is such a missed opportunity to bring up during construction.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:07 pm
langosta wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:46 am What speed was the geometry designed to
Ideally, whatever was posted (mostly 35mph south of Pershing). Since this was designed as mixed traffic around lots of car shit, the streetcar speed will be lower in some spots. Again, another reason why this is such a missed opportunity to bring up during construction.
For sure. So many requests for this during design fell on deaf ears.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCSA reports 22% of the alignment is already dedicated lanes -- southbound from Pershing to 27th, southbound 45th to Cleaver, Cleaver to Volker, Volker to 51st.

The work may require additional consultant support. Focus will be on improving reliability of streetcar operations, no guarantee there will be travel time improvements. Since the project was designed to be mixed traffic running in/near the curb lane and the tracks are designed and 54% constructed, only "above ground" interventions will be possible (flexposts, lane markings for cars, extended sidewalks, etc.).
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

FLEXPOSTS! KCMO's solution to any transit problem.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

This may be a little too late, but it's awesome that they are looking at doing it now. I would think it would only take some minor rebuilds of some sections to bring it up to full LRT standards some day if needed to truly create a transit spine on Main. That way you could have more trams, larger platforms and more frequencies if needed if the system were expanded.

When they decided to go with curb running mix traffic, I always thought that would ruin the chances of Main St being anything more than a local and relatively slow and low capacity transit line, but if they move forward with giving the trams their own lane, then that's one step closer to more upgrades in the future. It's just too bad that the line meanders around parked cars etc. It really should have bee installed center running in a nice straight line at least in the midtown area. (the curb sections north of 27th and south of Pershing are fine).
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

GRID wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:17 am This may be a little too late, but it's awesome that they are looking at doing it now. I would think it would only take some minor rebuilds of some sections to bring it up to full LRT standards some day if needed to truly create a transit spine on Main. That way you could have more trams, larger platforms and more frequencies if needed if the system were expanded.

When they decided to go with curb running mix traffic, I always thought that would ruin the chances of Main St being anything more than a local and relatively slow and low capacity transit line, but if they move forward with giving the trams their own lane, then that's one step closer to more upgrades in the future. It's just too bad that the line meanders around parked cars etc. It really should have bee installed center running in a nice straight line at least in the midtown area. (the curb sections north of 27th and south of Pershing are fine).
Looking back at many of the old LRT proposals from 80s and 90s, Highway 71 and Main were pursued as parallel corridors. Highway 71 would allow for higher speed N/S line while main was slower street running until Country Club ROW.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

langosta wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:45 am
GRID wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:17 am This may be a little too late, but it's awesome that they are looking at doing it now. I would think it would only take some minor rebuilds of some sections to bring it up to full LRT standards some day if needed to truly create a transit spine on Main. That way you could have more trams, larger platforms and more frequencies if needed if the system were expanded.

Looking back at many of the old LRT proposals from 80s and 90s, Highway 71 and Main were pursued as parallel corridors. Highway 71 would allow for higher speed N/S line while main was slower street running until Country Club ROW.
The city's plan for LRT from Vivion to SKC was two full blown light rail transit lines. The 71 spur would have been partially in the median, but also along the west side of 71 in its own RoW. The Main Street alignment was a full blown LRT dedicated RoW at least in preliminary designs. That plan didn't go far into the Country Club Right of way. It went to about Volker.

Even if were slower, you are talking about much higher capacity and a straighter alignment (would not meander as much around car parking etc) with LRT vs streetcar.

That was the only real plan other than the Chastain plans.

Really sucks it didn't pass. Had that passed, KC would likely have LRT to KCI by now along with something to the east probably serving the stadiums and maybe even into Kansas.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Is this change meant to improve speed, because that doesn’t seem like it’s ever been a priority for the existing section downtown. Turn on the signal priority and quit having vehicles waiting at Union Station 10 minutes to “fill up” before leaving. Run more vehicles all the time and don’t worry about them being “too close together”. Don’t stop at every stop even if no one’s at the platform or signals from the vehicle. There are lots of changes that would cost nothing but improve performance.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I think it is about reliability more than speed, but also about the opportunity to take a bit of space back from cars as we try to rebalance the transportation system to better support people who are not driving.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

smh wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:28 am I think it is about reliability more than speed, but also about the opportunity to take a bit of space back from cars as we try to rebalance the transportation system to better support people who are not driving.
So, this will allow more sidewalk and bike lane space?
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:57 am
smh wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:28 am I think it is about reliability more than speed, but also about the opportunity to take a bit of space back from cars as we try to rebalance the transportation system to better support people who are not driving.
Look at the plans posted online. I think it will be usable for expanded sidewalks or restaurant patios. Probably not bike lanes but idk
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

langosta wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:07 am
beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:57 am
Look at the plans posted online. I think it will be usable for expanded sidewalks or restaurant patios. Probably not bike lanes but idk
Where are those plans posted at?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

One of the annoying things between Pershing and 27th is that the new "multi-use trail" seems to end at the 27th St SB station platform. I hope there will be some way to either 1. Continue the trail up to 31st, or 2. better manage the transition back to sidewalk and into PVP. As is it just abruptly ends.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Yeah, I think that 'mobility lane' should just be an expanded sidewalk and/or green space next to the sidewalk.

Like you said, it just abruptly stops. As a cyclist myself, I much prefer to ride up through the park than go up main. This lane isn't going to change that for me.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Midtownkid wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:55 am Yeah, I think that 'mobility lane' should just be an expanded sidewalk and/or green space next to the sidewalk.

Like you said, it just abruptly stops. As a cyclist myself, I much prefer to ride up through the park than go up main. This lane isn't going to change that for me.
Historically, I used the space for running. I really enjoyed when a lane was closed a few years ago for work on the retaining wall. Was quite luxurious to be able to focus on running up the hill rather than dodging other users of the extremely narrow (and light pole filled) sidewalk. I'd need to think a little about how it might fit into my biking habits.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Why do the new poles for overhead streetcar power lines have to be set right in the middle of newly poured sidewalks?