Sosa's on 39th (Nichols/Mama's location)

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Sosa's on 39th (Nichols/Mama's location)

Post by earthling »

Expected to open as an Italian/Mexi diner around November (owner is Latino Italian). He used to run a diner on NE Side. The counter will fortunately have stools again, which Mama's took away. Sounds like it will be a good old school counter diner. Not clear yet if open 24 hours.

Maybe this should go in rumor section?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Sosa's on 39th (Nichols/Mama's location)

Post by earthling »

No longer a rumor, there is a sign in front of the place saying Sosa's will open soon. Doesn't look nearly ready though.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

New opening date for early Jan. Word is will be 24hour on thu/fri/sat, 10pm other nights. Will supposedly have beer/wine, not sure about full bar. The stools are in, nice to have more counter diners, which are a dying bread.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

earthling wrote:The stools are in, nice to have more counter diners, which are a dying bread.
Are they anchored and attached to the floor? If not, I imagine a common line heard here during those late nights/early mornings will be, "Mind if I push in your stool?"
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

taxi wrote:
earthling wrote:The stools are in, nice to have more counter diners, which are a dying bread.
Are they anchored and attached to the floor? If not, I imagine a common line heard here during those late nights/early mornings will be, "Mind if I push in your stool?"

Does your reappearance here, mean that you've been released, Taxi?
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

loftguy wrote:
taxi wrote:

Does your reappearance here, mean that you've been released, Taxi?
Not yet, but I've been granted internet access for exemplary behavior.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

taxi wrote:Not yet, but I've been granted internet access for exemplary behavior.

Good for you. I heard you were making fast friends. Tell Tyrone hi.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

Opening a week from today.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

enough
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by enough »

still no sign, but sosa's opened for business yesterday.

i had "breakfast" there this afternoon. quite satisfactory.

more important, the owners were on the premises and in active listening mode.

i'm encouraged

ps - move this thread to urban core?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Encouraging first visit. Very unusual diner. Was concerned about the giant menu as most places can't do anything well with a menu that big but they've got something here. The menu is bizarre and all over the place - there's mostly classic old school diner food (even liver/onions), Italian diner food, Mexi items but what makes it work is that they do enough things from scratch. I was kinda hoping for a fresher spin on preparation but it's overall pretty basic yet solid.

Had the South of Border omelette with chorizo, which came with warm salsa verde that they make on site (though not spicy, I added my own). Most classic diners overcook eggs but my omelette was not. Potatoes are real, small thin slices, not the frozen cubed crap in most classic KC diners - liked them. They serve Parisi coffee (local) and will have espresso machine soon. The biscuits are made on site but mine was too dense and hard, hopefully they figure out how to do fluffy. They actually have a 12 egg omelette for 30 bucks - weird! I imagine most would throw up.

They will have a full bar in a couple weeks and will focus on boozed up coffee/espresso based drinks. The back seating area was partly converted to a standalone bar for mixing drinks and espresso bar, but not up and running yet.

Way doable classic diner with some unexpected twists (but experience based on only one item so far). So nice to have the counter seating back at that place. Preferred the one experience over Chubby's, Winsteads, City Diner and the old Mama's/Nichols, but need to try a few more things.

Open til 1:30am weekdays and 24 hours weekends.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

I may have to get drunk tonight, so I can give it a fair assessment.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

We appreciate your dedication.
enough
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by enough »

what are people thinking about sosa's? i've been concerned to see so few cars outside when i have gone past at 7:30.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

They haven't announced opening yet, it's technically still in soft opening. I think they are waiting to get liquor license, which is another week or so.
Repete
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Repete »

Tried it for lunch the other day, it won't disappoint the 39th street locals if they are willing to make the trek a few blocks. I'll go back It's one of the better places I've tried in the area. Another good place in the area is that mexican place next to that new bar going in, can't remember the names of either one of them. Been there a few times by far the best lunch spot or mexican food in the area. It's next to that old pizza joint the closed on the east end.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

After a couple more tries, is my new goto place for classic diner food (though I like character/peoples at City Diner and will go, but food not this good). Haven't had an open faced hot beef sandwich in years and gave it a shot. It's not lunch meat on bread, the beef chunks fall apart and have just enough melted fat to give it flavor. Has texture of being crock potted overnight. Was pretty decent for something so basic. It came with not too heavy onion strings, which were great but a bit too much since its comes with spuds. Tried the bfast burrito and was just OK, there are better out there. What I like most about the place is that they don't overcook eggs like most diners do. They were packed this weekend. Owner said they will be serving booze next week. So good to have this traditional Midtown hangout back, with counter and much better eats than last two places.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Pretty excited that he's keeping the diner concept. Hope he can emulate the success of Anton's in this space - will be a great addition to the neighborhood. I'm guessing the hours are posted incorrectly and it's actually 10AM to 2AM?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

kcjak wrote:Pretty excited that he's keeping the diner concept. Hope he can emulate the success of Anton's in this space - will be a great addition to the neighborhood. I'm guessing the hours are posted incorrectly and it's actually 10AM to 2AM?
I thought that was odd too, but maybe its a breakfast/late diner place?