18th and Vine connecting to 12th and Vine?

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Gates is trying to build a monument honoring 12th and Vine in addition to plans of connecting 12th and Vine to 18th and Vine into one larger district. I think this would be incredible addition to see the eastern edge of the downtown area strengthen and grow. It will take a lot of work, but improving this area will improve greater downtown.

[quote]COMMENTARY
Gates seeks to jazz up 12th, Vine
STEVE PENN

When tourists come into town, they sometimes venture over to 12th Street and Vine.

Once there, some might try to recall the area's heyday.

Unfortunately, there is nothing today at 12th and Vine streets to remind anyone of the corner's link with history or with jazz.

Ollie Gates, owner of Gates Bar-B-Q at 12th Street and Brooklyn Avenue, wants to change that, and I applaud him for having such a vision.

Gates has come up with a comprehensive plan that involves erecting a permanent reminder of the historic street and creating a connection between 12th and 18th streets and Vine.

By making the area more appealing, Gates thinks it will create a more compelling reason for tourists to visit that section of the city.

Gates wants to place a “Goin' to Kansas Cityâ€
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

This would be awesome. Every time I have out of guests they ask to see 12th and Vine, and it's always such a letdown to them when I show it off.
macnw
Colonnade
Colonnade

Vine

Post by macnw »

I like the idea. =D> KC needs to remember the days of the street cars. I visited San Francisco the other day and I am amazed at how many people rode the cable cars/trolleys, even on a cold winter day. Looked at some historical books on rail transit and there were pages on Kansas City. Something to the effect that KC had a prominent role in the development of rail transit. We need more vision, more historical references to the past.
LyRiCaL GanGsTa

Post by LyRiCaL GanGsTa »

These are good ideas, but all of these things should be at 18th & Vine, not spread out over 6 blocks from 12th to 18th. Spreading crap out is Kansas City's stupid style... Instead -put everything in one area, so you have a critical mass. Who cares if you have to be right on 12th & Vine, there isn't a real intersection there anyway. Make everything discussed in this thread right in and around 18th so you have a real critical mass.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Gangsta...you're complaints are the story of the city. It seems that our "grand schemes" often crumble and we're left with cool chunks of town spread out all over. I am all for Gates vision; I'd love to see 18th and Vine stretch to multiple blocks all over. But if 18th and Vine has yet to reach it's small scale potential, will the extended 12th to 18th area materialize in our lifetimes?

Hell, if you can't easily walk from the Plaza to Westport (KC's most popular and touristed districts) how can we expect to connect other area of the city?
UMKCgal
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by UMKCgal »

This plan of Gates sounds awesome! I'm all for it being spread out on 6 blocks.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I just hope it can. That's a neighborhood I'd *love* to see prosper.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

I think it's an awesome idea and excellent for the Eastside. They need some development to spread out beyond 18th & Vine.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.