Bike Lanes

Transportation topics in KC
smh
Supporter

Re: Bike Lanes

Post by smh »

Did we just finish a multi-year update to the comprehensive plan? What does the KC Spirit Playbook say about the goals for Kansas City, Missouri?
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

smh wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:30 am Did we just finish a multi-year update to the comprehensive plan? What does the KC Spirit Playbook say about the goals for Kansas City, Missouri?
The KC Spirit Playbook has some great stuff in there. Just a matter of making sure the council and city leadership also agree those are the 20+ year priorities
bobthebiker
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by bobthebiker »

Rebrand on city website to "Personal Mobility Lanes"
https://www.kcmo.gov/city-hall/departme ... -community

Page definitely still a work in progress.

So don't think this link is accessible from the page above however, it is on the site navigation on the left.
https://www.kcmo.gov/city-hall/departme ... ementation

And more importantly. Gillham and TTT connector has a new meeting scheduled.
https://www.kcmo.gov/Home/Components/Fa ... y/278/1684

Admiral BLVD lanes also have a meeting scheduled.
https://www.kcmo.gov/Home/Components/Fa ... y/280/1684
SHPNeighbor
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by SHPNeighbor »

bobthebiker wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:19 am Rebrand on city website to "Personal Mobility Lanes"
https://www.kcmo.gov/city-hall/departme ... -community

Page definitely still a work in progress.

So don't think this link is accessible from the page above however, it is on the site navigation on the left.
https://www.kcmo.gov/city-hall/departme ... ementation

And more importantly. Gillham and TTT connector has a new meeting scheduled.
https://www.kcmo.gov/Home/Components/Fa ... y/278/1684

Admiral BLVD lanes also have a meeting scheduled.
https://www.kcmo.gov/Home/Components/Fa ... y/280/1684
Also note that you can provide feedback for the Gillham connector online if you can't attend the meeting this Friday.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Can someone explain why I still see so many people biking in traffic along Gillham? Why are they not using the cycle track?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:10 pm Can someone explain why I still see so many people biking in traffic along Gillham? Why are they not using the cycle track?
Anywhere in particular?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

smh wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:54 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:10 pm Can someone explain why I still see so many people biking in traffic along Gillham? Why are they not using the cycle track?
Anywhere in particular?
I’ve seen it in multiple locations in both directions, both individuals and groups.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

People are legally allowed to bike in any travel lane, except the interstate.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:39 pm People are legally allowed to bike in any travel lane, except the interstate.
:: Insert example of anything that you can legally do but is dumb here::
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

$880,000 in grant funding for planning, City match of $220,000. https://clerk.kcmo.gov/LegislationDetai ... FullText=1

bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Rode part of that Sunday. Very nice.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

shinatoo wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:32 am Rode part of that Sunday. Very nice.
Did you happen to ride through the intersection with 45th Street at the NE corner of the Nelson? I'm curious how that looks/is working given the slip lane. Originally the design closed the slip lane and converted the intersection to a 4 way stop but I'm hearing that didn't happen?
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

No, I was coming from MLK, through the Kauffman grounds, and down to Brush Creek. I'll try to ride up there tonight. Usually, if I'm going that far north I will cross Cleaver at that light then go through the Rockhill neighborhood to get to Gilliam. Riding on Cleaver is scary with the unprotected lanes, the sidewalk on the north side has light poles all down the middle so it's difficult to navigate (BIg pet peeve of mine). A crossing light at Harrison and Cleaver would be nice. That is also a pedestrian entrance to the Anita B. Gorman Conservation Discovery Center.

While I'm talking pet peeves about the Gilliam Cycle track, do you have to jog/walk in the cycle track? There are two or three sidewalks that run the entire length of the track where you will be safe. And we will both be safer when I'm passing you.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

Let us know what's currently built out, can update it in a few apps bikers tend to use.
SHPNeighbor
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by SHPNeighbor »

I noticed crews painted the bike lane lines on West Gillham down to where it turns back into regular Gillham yesterday. Really nice to see this project finally coming together.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

shinatoo wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:45 am While I'm talking pet peeves about the Gilliam Cycle track, do you have to jog/walk in the cycle track? There are two or three sidewalks that run the entire length of the track where you will be safe. And we will both be safer when I'm passing you.
I can appreciate this, but I tend to think of this too as an indication that the sidewalk is uncomfortable for running/walking possibly because it is uneven, or otherwise in poor condition versus the nice smooth cycle track. My personal opinion is that until our cycling or ped volumes are higher, we shouldn't worry too much about this (though you're allowed to keep as a pet peeve...that's why it is a pet! :D )
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

smh wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:28 pm
shinatoo wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:45 am While I'm talking pet peeves about the Gilliam Cycle track, do you have to jog/walk in the cycle track? There are two or three sidewalks that run the entire length of the track where you will be safe. And we will both be safer when I'm passing you.
I can appreciate this, but I tend to think of this too as an indication that the sidewalk is uncomfortable for running/walking possibly because it is uneven, or otherwise in poor condition versus the nice smooth cycle track. My personal opinion is that until our cycling or ped volumes are higher, we shouldn't worry too much about this (though you're allowed to keep as a pet peeve...that's why it is a pet! :D )
To be clear, I'm very nice to pedestrians. I never swear at them or try to kick them. That is reserved for cars.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

shinatoo wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:25 pm
smh wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:28 pm
To be clear, I'm very nice to pedestrians. I never swear at them or try to kick them. That is reserved for cars.
Hahaha, approved!