Bike Lanes

Transportation topics in KC
earthling
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 4262
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: Bike Lanes

Postby earthling » Wed May 16, 2018 4:28 pm

Physically protected bike lanes would help but is still baffling to me that Grand was chosen for main bike path when it is also a major bus route. I use Walnut instead and have noticed others do too.

tower
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 173
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:45 am
Location: Midtown

Re: Bike Lanes

Postby tower » Wed May 16, 2018 5:08 pm

earthling wrote:Physically protected bike lanes would help but is still baffling to me that Grand was chosen for main bike path when it is also a major bus route. I use Walnut instead and have noticed others do too.


The car I saw was on the new Armour Blvd. lanes, but it is a problem on Grand as well.

I think that having bike lanes in a bus route is fine, as long as the bus stops float, like the proposed stops near 12th Street. As it is, I'm still a lot more worried about the cars than the busses on Grand.

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 16164
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: Bike Lanes

Postby DaveKCMO » Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

earthling wrote:Physically protected bike lanes would help but is still baffling to me that Grand was chosen for main bike path when it is also a major bus route. I use Walnut instead and have noticed others do too.


It will be less major without Main MAX, unless Independence MAX goes there (which *might* be in service by the time Main MAX goes away).

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 16164
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: Bike Lanes

Postby DaveKCMO » Wed May 16, 2018 7:59 pm


scooterj
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 5782
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 1:30 pm
Location: Northmoor
Contact:

Re: Bike Lanes

Postby scooterj » Thu May 17, 2018 10:33 am

tower wrote:I already saw a car in the bike lane yesterday- they were loading something up in their car. The parking spaces aren't fully painted though- maybe with the buffer, cars will do a better job of respecting the bike lanes.


I saw a truck parked in the bike lane on Grand with its hazards on last night around 7:30pm, and a parking control officer was in the process of writing it a ticket. I was impressed to see them actually working after 6pm, and I hope that's going to be a trend as part of their stepped-up enforcement because there is a lot more really terrible parking taking place in the evenings lately.

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 6433
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: Bike Lanes

Postby flyingember » Thu May 17, 2018 10:57 am

scooterj wrote:
tower wrote:I already saw a car in the bike lane yesterday- they were loading something up in their car. The parking spaces aren't fully painted though- maybe with the buffer, cars will do a better job of respecting the bike lanes.


I saw a truck parked in the bike lane on Grand with its hazards on last night around 7:30pm, and a parking control officer was in the process of writing it a ticket. I was impressed to see them actually working after 6pm, and I hope that's going to be a trend as part of their stepped-up enforcement because there is a lot more really terrible parking taking place in the evenings lately.


At least the driver admitted their truck was a hazard to bikes.

User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 28263
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: Bike Lanes

Postby KCPowercat » Thu May 17, 2018 6:24 pm

Drove paseo this week and imagined how cool a bike track would be ...be like a bike superhighway to anywhere I would ever want to go on a bike.

kcjak
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1855
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:02 pm

Re: Bike Lanes

Postby kcjak » Fri May 18, 2018 8:02 am

chaglang wrote:Armour bike lanes are being installed starting today.


If you haven't been on this stretch lately, the lane striping appears to be finished - parking 'bubbles' have been striped and bike lanes on each lane better parking and curbs. Between this and the work MAC did on the apartments, these few blocks look amazing.

kboish
Penntower
Penntower
Posts: 2261
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: West Plaza

Re: Bike Lanes

Postby kboish » Fri May 18, 2018 8:08 am

kcjak wrote:
chaglang wrote:Armour bike lanes are being installed starting today.


If you haven't been on this stretch lately, the lane striping appears to be finished - parking 'bubbles' have been striped and bike lanes on each lane better parking and curbs. Between this and the work MAC did on the apartments, these few blocks look amazing.


I think there is still quite a bit of striping to do on those sections. Green paint, buffer stripes, intersections, etc. But, yeah, they already look great.

User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 28263
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: Bike Lanes

Postby KCPowercat » Fri May 18, 2018 8:47 am

So is this the final product?

kboish
Penntower
Penntower
Posts: 2261
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: West Plaza

Re: Bike Lanes

Postby kboish » Fri May 18, 2018 9:05 am

When I drove by yesterday there was only the outline of the parking spots. They still need to add a door buffer on the curbside. As it is now, cars park all the way to the lines closest to the curbs and this makes it narrow for bikes. The buffers should help prevent that. Also, green paint and intersection treatments still need to be added according to the plan.

Image

Image

tower
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 173
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:45 am
Location: Midtown

Re: Bike Lanes

Postby tower » Fri May 18, 2018 9:17 am

I read somewhere that the striping will be completed in a couple weeks.

Having no buffer is a bigger problem than I anticipated, but at least no one is parking in the actual bike lane.

mykn
New York Life
New York Life
Posts: 436
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:33 pm

Re: Bike Lanes

Postby mykn » Fri May 18, 2018 9:25 am

Not having the buffer currently sucks, it's very tight because a lot of cars are parking on or over the line. Traffic has realllly slowed down though which is awesome!

earthling
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 4262
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: Bike Lanes

Postby earthling » Fri May 18, 2018 9:48 am

DaveKCMO wrote:
earthling wrote:Physically protected bike lanes would help but is still baffling to me that Grand was chosen for main bike path when it is also a major bus route. I use Walnut instead and have noticed others do too.


It will be less major without Main MAX, unless Independence MAX goes there (which *might* be in service by the time Main MAX goes away).


There are about a dozen other bus lines that pass Grand through Xroads.

kboish
Penntower
Penntower
Posts: 2261
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: West Plaza

Re: Bike Lanes

Postby kboish » Fri May 18, 2018 9:50 am

mykn wrote:Not having the buffer currently sucks, it's very tight because a lot of cars are parking on or over the line. Traffic has realllly slowed down though which is awesome!


It has become a much more pleasant road!

tower
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 173
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:45 am
Location: Midtown

Re: Bike Lanes

Postby tower » Fri May 18, 2018 10:50 am

KCPowercat wrote:Drove paseo this week and imagined how cool a bike track would be ...be like a bike superhighway to anywhere I would ever want to go on a bike.


Agreed. the paseo would be a really nice ride, and as a bonus, it has the most gradual slope of any of the north/south streets between downtown and midtown: http://en-us.topographic-map.com/places/Kansas-City-19133/

It also has a lot of excess capacity, with no Max line.

User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 28263
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: Bike Lanes

Postby KCPowercat » Fri May 18, 2018 10:55 am

Yeah I looked up the grade when I got home and was impressed...even I could ride that on a heavy bcycle

User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 28263
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: Bike Lanes

Postby KCPowercat » Fri May 18, 2018 10:55 am

Is armour traffic like 24x7 backed up now?

mykn
New York Life
New York Life
Posts: 436
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:33 pm

Re: Bike Lanes

Postby mykn » Fri May 18, 2018 11:01 am

KCPowercat wrote:Is armour traffic like 24x7 backed up now?


I can hear the honking 2 blocks away.


No, nothing has changed with traffic, I go by armour multiple times a day.

User avatar
rxlexi
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1833
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2003 10:30 pm
Location: Columbia MO

Re: Bike Lanes

Postby rxlexi » Fri May 18, 2018 11:09 am

Drove paseo this week and imagined how cool a bike track would be ...be like a bike superhighway to anywhere I would ever want to go on a bike.


This is actually an awesome idea. At least, the kind of thinking that I'd like to see applied to the east side.

Paseo is beautiful, wide enough that you could place a spacious paved path right down the center median, has the aforementioned gradual slope, and with the right infrastructure (lighting, hub facilities) could be a destination cycling/walking corridor. It connects with the Brush Creek paved path, Swope Park via Meyer and runs close to Rockhurst and Plaza. Could rename MLK Cultural Trail and connect with civil rights history in some way.

Thinking the Indy Cultural Trail as an example, but median running rather than then street.

As a bonus, perhaps sadly, it would probably be significantly easier to make some dramatic changes to the character of the boulevard because it IS Paseo, and not Ward Parkway or similar.


Return to “Kansas City Transportation”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests