GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: 2012 CHIEFS!

Post by bobbyhawks »

KC-wildcat wrote:So yeah, bobbyhawks, any thoughts on Cassel's performance? Any thoughts on drafting Geno Smith after this 3-13 season wraps up?
Sorry if I'm not one of the "fans" who relishes every interception and sack, hoping that Cassel implodes because RG3 evidently is available in every draft. If you had paid attention to anything I said, you would note that I never dismissed drafting a QB in the first round. I'd love Geno Smith. I'd also love it if Cassel finished the season strong and we made the playoffs. Anything we say right now about the draft is just worthless conjecture not knowing our position or who will be healthy and available. To say right now that we will draft a QB in the first round is like saying you will back a kickstarter campaign for a slick-looking project. Sometimes, you are better off going with the proven track record. I outlined before that more franchises in the last 20 years have won Superbowls without their own first round drafted QB than with one. Those guys are still rarities. Matt Cassel is also irrelevant to the 1st round draft pick conversation. I think we need to consider someone else next year, regardless of if it is a draft pick or a free agent. We can't draft a 1st rounder in week 4, though we do have one sitting on the bench who sucks. Personally, I think we need to stick with Cassel through the season as I still think he is the best QB on our team.

Cassel was pretty terrible yesterday, but I find it hilarious how many people think he alone is losing us these games. He threw two pretty bad interceptions, and McCluster flubbed the third. If you really break down the team's performance, though, you will find that our defense can't stop anybody after a turnover or in the first quarter, that our backs fumbled the ball away 3 times, and that our coaches have no concept of game management. This is a problem that permeates the entire team, and erasing Cassel's suckage would probably make no difference to the outcome of the game. Cassel put up 250 yards and 2 TDs under near constant pressure. His line had more ole blocks than a matador in a stampede. A good coach would have the team better prepared, but Cromeo hasn't proven anything to me so far. I was a fan of the promotion, but this team looks like it has no direction. Some of this certainly falls to the QB, but Cromeo needs to whip them into gear. I'll also bet you there is no way we go 3-13. We will still probably land around 8-8 and have no shot at Geno.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

In 2012 Matt Cassel has the third lowest QB rating in the NFL. The two players worse are rookies.

Let that sink in.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

bobbyhawks wrote:
KC-wildcat wrote:So yeah, bobbyhawks, any thoughts on Cassel's performance? Any thoughts on drafting Geno Smith after this 3-13 season wraps up?
Sorry if I'm not one of the "fans" who relishes every interception and sack, hoping that Cassel implodes because RG3 evidently is available in every draft. If you had paid attention to anything I said, you would note that I never dismissed drafting a QB in the first round. I'd love Geno Smith. I'd also love it if Cassel finished the season strong and we made the playoffs. Anything we say right now about the draft is just worthless conjecture not knowing our position or who will be healthy and available. To say right now that we will draft a QB in the first round is like saying you will back a kickstarter campaign for a slick-looking project. Sometimes, you are better off going with the proven track record. I outlined before that more franchises in the last 20 years have won Superbowls without their own first round drafted QB than with one. Those guys are still rarities. Matt Cassel is also irrelevant to the 1st round draft pick conversation. I think we need to consider someone else next year, regardless of if it is a draft pick or a free agent. We can't draft a 1st rounder in week 4, though we do have one sitting on the bench who sucks. Personally, I think we need to stick with Cassel through the season as I still think he is the best QB on our team.

Cassel was pretty terrible yesterday, but I find it hilarious how many people think he alone is losing us these games. He threw two pretty bad interceptions, and McCluster flubbed the third. If you really break down the team's performance, though, you will find that our defense can't stop anybody after a turnover or in the first quarter, that our backs fumbled the ball away 3 times, and that our coaches have no concept of game management. This is a problem that permeates the entire team, and erasing Cassel's suckage would probably make no difference to the outcome of the game. Cassel put up 250 yards and 2 TDs under near constant pressure. His line had more ole blocks than a matador in a stampede. A good coach would have the team better prepared, but Cromeo hasn't proven anything to me so far. I was a fan of the promotion, but this team looks like it has no direction. Some of this certainly falls to the QB, but Cromeo needs to whip them into gear. I'll also bet you there is no way we go 3-13. We will still probably land around 8-8 and have no shot at Geno.
cliff's notes version - Cassel sucks, so does the coaching staff and team. Thanks for the insight.

The question remains. Do we draft a QB in the first round?

FWIW, I don't relish in Cassel's horrible performances. I just change the channel in disgust. Same way with the Royals. I don't relish in the franchise's misery, I share in it. Hence, my desire to replace underperformers like Franceour, John Sanchez, Luke Hochevar, etc. Cassel is not solely responsible for our suck, but he's the largest contributor.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

I just don't understand how anyone could be sure at this point in the season that we should draft a QB when we have no idea who will be there or where we will draft. Would an MLB team say they need to draft a shortstop after 40 games of a season and then pass up Stephen Strasburg because he isn't a shortstop?

To date, if Geno is available and we are picking, I think we'd probably have our decision made for us. I've never said we shouldn't do this, but reaching for someone we don't think is worthy of a 1st round pick is a terrible idea. We could end up with Brodie Croyle picked in the first round.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

FWIW, as of last week, Mel Kiper had two QBs in the 1st round. Barkley was #2. The other QB (it wasn't Smith) was in the high 20's. Looks like a very strong year for defensive players at the top of the draft.

Joe Flacco is at the head of the 2013 free agent QBs.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

bobbyhawks wrote:I just don't understand how anyone could be sure at this point in the season that we should draft a QB when we have no idea who will be there or where we will draft. Would an MLB team say they need to draft a shortstop after 40 games of a season and then pass up Stephen Strasburg because he isn't a shortstop?

To date, if Geno is available and we are picking, I think we'd probably have our decision made for us. I've never said we shouldn't do this, but reaching for someone we don't think is worthy of a 1st round pick is a terrible idea. We could end up with Brodie Croyle picked in the first round.
I'm just asking if we should make it a priority. Obviously, this is a rhetorical question.

We are 25% into the season and KC is one of the worst teams in the league. If we finish the season amongst the worst teams in the league, should we prioritize drafting a QB with our first pick? Pretty simple question.

We know that there will be 2-4 QBs taken in the 1st round. Matt Barkley, Geno Smith for sure. Maybe Tyler Bray, Tyler Wilson, EJ Manuel depending on how the rest of the season shakes out. We also know that several (currently shitty) teams won't take a QB in the 1st round (0-4 Saints, 1-3 Lions, 1-3 Panthers, 1-3 Bucs, 1-2 Steelers, 1-2 Colts, 0-4 Browns).

If the Chiefs finish in the bottom 25% of the league, should we prioritize a QB and trade up if necessary to get one. Or, are we content adopting the Scott Pioli party line yet again - Matt is the guy?
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/09/30/38 ... -must.html

Mellinger blasts Chiefs and Cassel. Sam may just be one of those "fans" who relishes every interception and sack, hoping that Cassel implodes. I dunno.

When you get right down to it, Cassel's "woes" are probably just the product of a bad offensive line, or really good defenses, or bad running backs, or bad coaching. Little evidence to suggest that Matt's problems are caused by being a bad football player.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

KC-wildcat wrote:http://www.kansascity.com/2012/09/30/38 ... -must.html

Mellinger blasts Chiefs and Cassel. Sam may just be one of those "fans" who relishes every interception and sack, hoping that Cassel implodes. I dunno.

When you get right down to it, Cassel's "woes" are probably just the product of a bad offensive line, or really good defenses, or bad running backs, or bad coaching. Little evidence to suggest that Matt's problems are caused by being a bad football player.
There are a ton of Chiefs fans out there who don't like Cassel's play, but I really doubt many of them relish his implosion. The more he implodes, the more their team stinks. Who wishes for that?

At best, Cassel can be a top 10 QB in the right situation. At worst, Sunday. But whether Cassel is good or bad is irrelevant, because as you note, he needs a team with a better O-line, better receivers, and better coaching in order to do well. I'm totally comfortable saying that he should go because he's in the wrong situation and there's no evidence that the current Chiefs organization can get him the players to be the guy he was in 2008.

Also: the fact that this is year 4 of this debate - Whose Fault Is It Anyway? - is evidence that large portions of the team and organization need to go.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

chaglang wrote: There are a ton of Chiefs fans out there who don't like Cassel's play, but I really doubt many of them relish his implosion. The more he implodes, the more their team stinks. Who wishes for that?

At best, Cassel can be a top 10 QB in the right situation. At worst, Sunday. But whether Cassel is good or bad is irrelevant, because as you note, he needs a team with a better O-line, better receivers, and better coaching in order to do well. I'm totally comfortable saying that he should go because he's in the wrong situation and there's no evidence that the current Chiefs organization can get him the players to be the guy he was in 2008.

Also: the fact that this is year 4 of this debate - Whose Fault Is It Anyway? - is evidence that large portions of the team and organization need to go.
It was a snarky response to bobbyhawks. just messin around. I am one of those fans who doesn't like Cassel's play who doesn't relish his implosion. I want him to be good so that the team is good. However, I also realize that as long as he is bad, the team will be bad.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

chaglang wrote:[At best, Cassel can be a top 10 QB in the right situation. At worst, Sunday. But whether Cassel is good or bad is irrelevant, because as you note, he needs a team with a better O-line, better receivers, and better coaching in order to do well. I'm totally comfortable saying that he should go because he's in the wrong situation and there's no evidence that the current Chiefs organization can get him the players to be the guy he was in 2008.

Well said.
KC-wildcat wrote:It was a snarky response to bobbyhawks. just messin around. I am one of those fans who doesn't like Cassel's play who doesn't relish his implosion. I want him to be good so that the team is good. However, I also realize that as long as he is bad, the team will be bad.
You're right. It is unfair of me to classify fans as enjoying Cassel's poor play, though I've been a Royals fan for too long to think otherwise. There is a sick joy that many KC fans exhibit when we are this bad. It's the only way many can stay involved in the season. I still think that people are fooling themselves if they think that Cassel is the source of all problems at the moment. He is absolutely a source of some big problems. Nobody wants their starting QB to throw 7 interceptions in 4 games, but not everyone is booing their starting QB at a MLB softball game, either. It is not unheard of for a great QB to throw 2 bad INTs in a game (the third was not Cassel's fault), though it is pretty crazy to fumble the ball away 3 times in perfect weather.

No question Matt needs to make much better decisions. I still think, if he is allowed to start the rest of the season, his QB rating will climb to the mid 80s, and the Chiefs will reach 8-8. I will never be willing to say, 4 games into the NFL season what we should or shouldn't do in the draft from a position standpoint, but we need to bring in a new QB next season no matter from where. This is clear.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

KC-wildcat wrote:
chaglang wrote: There are a ton of Chiefs fans out there who don't like Cassel's play, but I really doubt many of them relish his implosion. The more he implodes, the more their team stinks. Who wishes for that?

It was a snarky response to bobbyhawks. just messin around. I am one of those fans who doesn't like Cassel's play who doesn't relish his implosion. I want him to be good so that the team is good. However, I also realize that as long as he is bad, the team will be bad.
Oh, sorry. That's what I get for jumping in the middle of conversations I'm not paying attention to.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

Cassel isn't a top 10 NFL quarterback in any situation. Let's make that abundantly clear.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

MidtownCat wrote:Cassel isn't a top 10 NFL quarterback in any situation. Let's make that abundantly clear.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/playe ... asontype/2

Edit: Jeff Garcia!?
KCRoyal
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCRoyal »

Chiefs lose 9-6 to Baltimore. Cassel left the game with a head injury.

Eric Winston had some pretty strong words to the fans who were cheering Cassel's exit.
macnw
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by macnw »

Cassel sucks, but the fans suck even more. What a cruel and pitiful manner in which to act. As frustrating as it is, football is just a game. Cassel is still a human being. I think Winston has guts to call out the fans.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

macnw wrote:Cassel sucks, but the fans suck even more. What a cruel and pitiful manner in which to act. As frustrating as it is, football is just a game. Cassel is still a human being. I think Winston has guts to call out the fans.
I think Winston is an idiot for making stuff up. The fans did not cheer when Cassel was taken out of the game, the cheered when he got up from his injury (showing that he was ok.) Seriously, who would cheer an actual injury?

This video shows the Chiefs fans cheering the play, then quite as people realize Cassel is hurt, then cheering AS SOON AS CASSEL GOT UP. At that point, for all they know, he was coming back into the game.

Video: http://www.kctv5.com/story/19761458/is- ... witterfeed

Nothing classless happened at Arrowhead yesterday, at least not by the fans.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Besides, Cassel didn't even play in the game! That was Tim Tebow at QB, right? That explains the ridiculous play-calling.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

AllThingsKC wrote:
macnw wrote:Cassel sucks, but the fans suck even more. What a cruel and pitiful manner in which to act. As frustrating as it is, football is just a game. Cassel is still a human being. I think Winston has guts to call out the fans.
I think Winston is an idiot for making stuff up. The fans did not cheer when Cassel was taken out of the game, the cheered when he got up from his injury (showing that he was ok.) Seriously, who would cheer an actual injury?

This video shows the Chiefs fans cheering the play, then quite as people realize Cassel is hurt, then cheering AS SOON AS CASSEL GOT UP. At that point, for all they know, he was coming back into the game.

I'm sorry, but the impression I got from CBS was cheering for a concussed QB. I didn't need Winston's comments to think that. You can also hear boos in that video you cited when he walks off the field. Fans don't want to hear criticism, but I think yesterday was embarassing.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I was sitting in Johnny's Tavern in PnL when Cassel went down. A good chunk of (if not most) people started cheering when he appeared to be hurt. Most everyone else laughed at the cheering. Hope he is OK, but also don't want to see that guy play another game in that stadium. That is an embarrassment.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

AllThingsKC wrote:

I was at the game (in fact, sitting on 6th row at the 20 yard line where Cassel got crushed). I can tell you that the dude was booed all day (rightfully so). The only time, the single instance, when he was cheered was when he got destroyed on that play.

Now, I was a corporate guest. I didn't say a word the entire game. Didn't boo anybody. But, when the cheers reigned down on Cassel, I yelled at a guy in my section for being classless.

The video you posted doesn't change the reality of the situation. If you were there in attendance, there was no question that a sizeable number of Chiefs fans took out their frustration with this season, this coaching staff, and with Matt Cassel by cheering his injury.

It was absolutely ridiculous, but considering the number of drunk, beligerent, white trash assholes in Arrowhead Sunday, it wasn't very surprising.