GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Re: GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by mean »

im2kull wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:55 pm Did anyone see the president's tweet? A bit creepy, and no idea what the deal is. Intern gone wild?
The dumbest parts of the internet are leaking into reality anyway, they're just leaning into it in attempt to expose it for being dumb. I don't know if it's a smart move or not, but it's pretty obvious what they're doing if you're even slightly online.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

mean wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:52 pm
im2kull wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:55 pm Did anyone see the president's tweet? A bit creepy, and no idea what the deal is. Intern gone wild?
The dumbest parts of the internet are leaking into reality anyway, they're just leaning into it in attempt to expose it for being dumb. I don't know if it's a smart move or not, but it's pretty obvious what they're doing if you're even slightly online.
The tweet was simply a retort to the Super Bowl scripting conspiracies by the far right. I thought it was brilliant. Kind of clever even for Biden.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Yeah, that's what I said...? I thought it was freaking hilarious, I just don't know if it's effective in making them look as ridiculous as they are. They're already so ridiculous that it's unintentional self-parody. At that point what's left? How do you shame that which not only has no shame, but in fact seems to absorb attempts to shame it and use them to make itself even more of a joke while simultaneously taking the joke that is themselves literally deadly serious, like, possibly gonna shoot some people deadly serious? It's crazy stuff.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

mean wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:30 pm Yeah, that's what I said...? I thought it was freaking hilarious, I just don't know if it's effective in making them look as ridiculous as they are. They're already so ridiculous that it's unintentional self-parody. At that point what's left? How do you shame that which not only has no shame, but in fact seems to absorb attempts to shame it and use them to make itself even more of a joke while simultaneously taking the joke that is themselves literally deadly serious, like, possibly gonna shoot some people deadly serious? It's crazy stuff.
Well that's correct. The parody is wasted because there they cannot fathom themselves being nut cases or their position as being outlandish. But at least it's funny for the rest of us.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Call me a Boomer but it really irks me when people are at a Parade or Concert and all they are doing is recording the thing, they are not experiencing it or taking it all in, i just don't get it. It irritates me so much. Do you really need to see the video of a bunch of people walking by? How is it any different if a professional cameraman took the video
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Shooting reported at the parade. At least 10 injured. Initially hearing reports that this was planned.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm Shooting reported at the parade. At least 10 injured. Initially hearing reports that this was planned.
Several kids shot. Horrible.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Looks like 1 dead
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

https://apnews.com/article/chiefs-super ... 1c67afbd37

Local news reporting 10-15 people shot; one dead, three critical.
Last edited by FangKC on Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

Highly doubt it was planned. Gun sounds and randomness points to gangs running into each other at worst time possible.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

At Truman Med Center: 8 gunshot victims, six are stable, and two are critical. Nine children were shot according to KMBC.

Children's Mercy: 12 patients were treated, 11 were children, and nine were shot. Ages of children between 6 and 15 years.

St. Luke’s Hospital of Kansas City received one gunshot patient in critical condition and three walk-ins with injuries that were not life-threatening, spokesperson Laurel Gifford said.

Update: 1 dead. 22 hurt. Three people were detained.

Lisa Lopez-Galvan, a DJ from KKFI Radio, has been confirmed to be the fatality.

https://apnews.com/article/chiefs-super ... 1c67afbd37

Johnson County mom dies in KC parade shooting. Police still confirm one fatality

https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/c ... ium=social

https://kkfi.org/people/lisa-galvan/
Last edited by FangKC on Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

bspecht wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:15 pm Highly doubt it was planned. Gun sounds and randomness points to gangs running into each other at worst time possible.
Been watching CNN. As the witnesses are now describing the event and the capture of a couple of the potential shooters, that seems to be the case. The man who helped tackle one of the perps described the alleged perp as having a machine gun. Another alleged shooter or accomplice was described as having his jaw shot off.
bricknose
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by bricknose »

Highlander wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:27 pm
bspecht wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:15 pm Highly doubt it was planned. Gun sounds and randomness points to gangs running into each other at worst time possible.
Been watching CNN. As the witnesses are now describing the event and the capture of a couple of the potential shooters, that seems to be the case. The man who helped tackle one of the perps described the alleged perp as having a machine gun. Another alleged shooter or accomplice was described as having his jaw shot off.
How does someone carry a machine gun to a parade without being stopped or questioned? It would be one thing if it had been someone intending to do a mass shooting, but it sounds like the shooting was a crime of passion.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

bricknose wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:05 pm
How does someone carry a machine gun to a parade without being stopped or questioned? It would be one thing if it had been someone intending to do a mass shooting, but it sounds like the shooting was a crime of passion.
Because "Machine gun" is a terrible description of what the person was using. IE: Inaccurate description. The kid certainly wasn't carrying around an M249 SAW or anything in that likeness. He had a much smaller weapon that folks unfamiliar with weapons typically misclassify. Ever seen that clip of the news broadcaster calling a pistol a shotgun?
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

im2kull wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:07 am

Because "Machine gun" is a terrible description of what the person was using. IE: Inaccurate description. The kid certainly wasn't carrying around an M249 SAW or anything in that likeness. He had a much smaller weapon that folks unfamiliar with weapons typically misclassify. Ever seen that clip of the news broadcaster calling a pistol a shotgun?
I thought the guy CNN interviewed that followed the suspect said he had military experience so not necessarily unfamiliar with weapons. Here is the sound on video.
https://twitter.com/KCTV5/status/1757934660246462785 The shooting was extremely short duration for injuring 22 and killing 1. There may have been more than one gun being fired at the same time and some people could have been hit by the same bullet. It's somewhat irrelevant.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Highlander wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:21 am

I thought the guy CNN interviewed that followed the suspect said he had military experience so not necessarily unfamiliar with weapons. Here is the sound on video.
https://twitter.com/KCTV5/status/1757934660246462785 The shooting was extremely short duration for injuring 22 and killing 1. There may have been more than one gun being fired at the same time and some people could have been hit by the same bullet.
You really have to stop jumping to conclusions and making inaccurate statements if you are unfamiliar with firearms. Yes, there was somewhere between 20 and 40 shots fired. Not hard to do with a semi-auto weapon in that duration. Commonplace. If it was a "machine gun" or something that was "fully automatic".. you wouldn't even be able to distinguish the shots because it would happen so quickly. It'd be one great roar in a second or less.

Second, a pistol, PCC, AR-15 or other non-machine gun is not a machine gun. An M249 SAW is a great example of a machine gun. The weapon one perp had was an AR pistol (he actually had two, with 40 round mags.. if you want me to be specific) or PCC AR. Either way, illegal. Regardless, I saw it, and I assure you.. it wasn't a "machine gun". The looks of a gun don't determine its classification. Its construction, abilities, and purposes do. The other guns look like a few pistols. In any case it was illegal to do what these kids and this other idiot did, and I'm sure the weapons were all illegal. Especially if any were modified, had the actions adjusted illegally to allow for a true rapid fire configuration, etc. But.. surprise.. criminals don't care about laws.

Also, just because someone was "has military experience" doesn't mean they know jack about guns. Most people are very uneducated on the subject.

Lastly, I don't mean to sound like a jerk. My tolerance for misinformation is just extremely low and writing on here doesn't convey the sense of openness and education that I am trying to approach this with. So please, don't think I'm "Yelling" while you read this.
Last edited by im2kull on Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

im2kull wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:36 am
Highlander wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:21 am

https://twitter.com/KCTV5/status/1757934660246462785 The shooting was extremely short duration for injuring 22 and killing 1. There may have been more than one gun being fired at the same time and some people could have been hit by the same bullet.
You really have to stop jumping to conclusions and making inaccurate statements if you are unfamiliar with firearms. Yes, there was somewhere between 20 and 40 shots fired. Not hard to do with a semi-auto weapon in that duration. Commonplace. If it was a "machine gun" or something that was "fully automatic".. you wouldn't even be able to distinguish the shots because it would happen so quickly. It'd be one great roar in a second or less.

Second, a pistol, PCC, AR-15 or other non-machine gun is not a machine gun. An M249 SAW is a great example of a machine gun. The weapon one perp had was either a PCC AR or a an AR. I saw it, and I assure you.. it wasn't a "machine gun". The others look like a few pistols. In any case it was illegal to do what these kids and this other idiot did, and I'm sure the weapons were all illegal. Especially if any were modified into SBR's, or had the actions adjusted illegally to allow for a true rapid fire configuration. But, surprise, criminals don't care about laws.

Also, just because someone was "has military experience" doesn't mean they know jack about guns. Most people are very uneducated on the subject.

Lastly, I don't mean to sound like a jerk. My tolerance for misinformation is just extremely low and writing on here doesn't convey the sense of openness and education that I am trying to approach this with. So please, don't think I'm "Yelling" while you read this.
Man, you read a lot into my couple of sentences. I am simply stating what a witness said. I make no statement at all regarding what kind of weapon was fired (although I do know the differences). There's absolutely no misinformation in my statement, I'm not suggesting a particular weapon was used - just that the duration of shooting was very short.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Highlander wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:44 am Man, you read a lot into my couple of sentences. I am simply stating what a witness said. I make no statement at all regarding what kind of weapon was fired (although I do know the differences). There's absolutely no misinformation in my statement.
You asked how a machine gun could be carried into that area, so I clarified that a machine gun couldn't be brought in without anyone noticing, and that a machine gun was not used. An illegal gun, was hidden and brought in a backpack.

I'm more than happy to move beyond the subject now. Thank you for letting me straighten that out.
Last edited by im2kull on Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Only in the us after a mass shooting do we start talking about the dictionary.

Going to London where the police don't even have guns and can't wait.

Fuck this all.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

im2kull wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:36 am Also, just because someone was "has military experience" doesn't mean they know jack about guns. Most people are very uneducated on the subject.
There are more guns than people in this country and yet even the gun advocates admit that "most people are very uneducated on [guns]." Maybe that's...a problem?

And then we've got this gem, which I'll pull from the other thread because this discussion doesn't need to get drawn out in the Development Q&A forum (I'd have thought the sports forum wasn't appropriate for it either, but here we are, another day in America):
im2kull wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:38 am
Cratedigger wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:50 am Alright man - the state needs to reevaluate its policies. What is happening right now is obviously not working.

What the area DOES NOT NEED is more gun violence. It’s out of hand and this impacts the city’s reputation nationally. Important for people, companies and conventions that might come here.

Even more importantly, children ages 6 to 15 and an innocent Mother were caught in the crossfire.

This isn’t an isolated incident and it’s only getting more frequent.
I agree. Reevaluating policies like "catch and release" and bringing back "community policing" certainly needs to be done. Enforcement and punishment for violations of existing law would certainly help too. Whatever is being done right now has been extremely ineffective for some time.
You understand that "whatever is being done right now," which you admit is "extremely ineffective," includes mass proliferation of weapons, right?