Sporting Kansas City

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Sporting Kansas City

Post by dukuboy1 »

Just my opinion, but I think once the Royals go to the EV with their new stadium it fills up the area nicely and I think would be hard to drop another major sporting event venue in downtown. You'll have Current, Royals, and TMobile all jockeying for events and it will be interesting to see how things shake out over time when events overlap. I do like the idea of getting Sporting into a more centralized location within the metro. Perhaps West Bottoms could be a good spot or even the NKC site. But if we are being honest about the fan base a location within Johnson County, perhaps somewhat centralized JOCO would work best to allow for the other suburban metro areas to have it closer to them. I realize that there are a lot of people within KC urban areas that are big fans. A lot of those fans are younger, who most likely grew up playing the game in the suburbs but now as young adults choose to live in the Urban Core of downtown or close by. But I'd say the franchise knows the fan base and if they are looking to maximize revenue & sustain the team a stadium in JOCO would be best. I'll agree current location could be better but the stadium itself is nice. If memory serves me correctly it was one of the first soccer specific/soccer only stadiums build in the MLS. In fact I seem to recall it being a "crown jewel" of soccer stadium design for the MLS which was copied by other teams who were looking to build new stadiums. Maybe I'm wrong on that, but still goes to show they have a great place to play now.

I am not a huge soccer fan but do enjoy go to Sporting games. I have no real investment in this either way outside of wanting to keep the team here in KC and for them to be successful for a long time
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

You guys don't make sense. First off it's more like 15-30 miles for most of KC to get to sporting games. Unless you are in western Shawnee or something that stadium is a hike for 90% of metro KC.

I can drive 75mph for 15-30 miles here in DC and can quickly be in the middle of nowhere even here. Doesn't mean I want to.

That stadium is in a stupid location and even though it's developed around it, it's all suburban sprawl. I would bet a million bucks that people that do shop or dine before or after a game there get in their cars and drive to another area parking lot to do it.

But whatever you guys like...
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

I can tell you right now with first hand experience being a fan that all support would pretty much collapse if they moved to JoCo. MLS needs to be going away from the cutesy family outing that SKC switched to in about 2018-2019. They want to market the fans making noise, smoke bombs, tifo, but then want to push them out for cushy upper middle class.

JoCo would kill MLS in this city & we'd probably honestly lose the team in 10 years.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

TheSmokinPun wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 1:06 pm I can tell you right now with first hand experience being a fan that all support would pretty much collapse if they moved to JoCo. MLS needs to be going away from the cutesy family outing that SKC switched to in about 2018-2019. They want to market the fans making noise, smoke bombs, tifo, but then want to push them out for cushy upper middle class.

JoCo would kill MLS in this city & we'd probably honestly lose the team in 10 years.
That and like the royals, they are too dependent of suburban families only. Sporting needs to find a way to lure in all demographics, not just your soccer families. That's one reason why other cities are drawing 25-30k a game in both MLS and MLB compared to KC and continue to draw at least some fans when their teams are not doing well in the standings.

If Sporting were to lose a few years in a row, they would quickly drop down to the bottom in all of the MLS, just like the Royals. The have no drawing power for socializing etc.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

“But their fan base is suburban!” is the cope that is always said for just about everything in sports here. But at what point do people realize in order to *grow* the fan base and get non-suburban fans you need to go to the city. The Royals were smart enough to realize this!
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

dukuboy1 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 12:24 pm I'll agree current location could be better but the stadium itself is nice. If memory serves me correctly it was one of the first soccer specific/soccer only stadiums build in the MLS. In fact I seem to recall it being a "crown jewel" of soccer stadium design for the MLS which was copied by other teams who were looking to build new stadiums. Maybe I'm wrong on that, but still goes to show they have a great place to play now.
The first modern soccer specific stadium was build in Columbus 12 years before SKC. They just replaced it two years ago. It was a crown jewel when it opened, but it's quickly falling behind new stadiums. It's still a nice stadium, but I do think it will need either expansion/renovation or replacement within a decade at the longest.

I think there is no chance they put a new stadium in JoCo. Marketing to the suburban soccer mom is what MLS tried in the early days, and it was largely a failure. I'm pretty sure Children't Mercy Park was the last stadium build in a suburban area. Right around the time it was being built, the league realized they needed to focus on the young, (mostly) urban fan market.

Yes, I would say that suburban families outnumber young urbanites at Children's Mercy Park and maybe every stadium in the league, but the league really values the younger fans who tend to be more passionate and create a better stadium environment for everyone to enjoy. The league has been clear about preferring urban stadiums and has made it a requirement for expansion teams. I'm not sure how much input the league would have for a non-expansion team stadium location, but I'm sure they would prefer SKC go somewhere urban (if they are to move).
GRID wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 1:22 pm If Sporting were to lose a few years in a row, they would quickly drop down to the bottom in all of the MLS, just like the Royals. The have no drawing power for socializing etc.
Sporting has had terrible records 3 of the last 4 years. The years they haven't be horrible have mostly seen early and disappointing playoff exits since the 2013 championship year. Attendance is down, but the official number is still right around capacity (although actual butts in seat is lower, and the capacity is higher than the official number).
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Good points all around. I think it’s kind of silly to expect the MLS to become an analogue of European/Premier Soccer leagues with hooligans and all. Those leagues are what they are primarily because there are no other pro sports teams. Yes I realize there is basketball, rugby, maybe a few other sports but nothing to the level of the USA major sports. Imagine if the NFL was the only huge pro sports in this country. I wish MLS nothing but the best & even as a non-fan I enjoy a match every now & then & I can see the major strides the MLS has made in the last 10-12 yrs. They are & continue to build a better product. So keep it up!

Question for those more in the know. Where would you put a new MLS soccer stadium downtown? Assuming Royals go to EV.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

dukuboy1 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:59 pm Good points all around. I think it’s kind of silly to expect the MLS to become an analogue of European/Premier Soccer leagues with hooligans and all. Those leagues are what they are primarily because there are no other pro sports teams. Yes I realize there is basketball, rugby, maybe a few other sports but nothing to the level of the USA major sports. Imagine if the NFL was the only huge pro sports in this country. I wish MLS nothing but the best & even as a non-fan I enjoy a match every now & then & I can see the major strides the MLS has made in the last 10-12 yrs. They are & continue to build a better product. So keep it up!

Question for those more in the know. Where would you put a new MLS soccer stadium downtown? Assuming Royals go to EV.
MLS has the chance to connect the biggest global sport with the biggest sports entertainment market. I think MLS in 2035 is a league with higher tier global talent and TV revenue flowing in from across the world.

WSP, Paseo West, North Loop for a soccer stadium. Would be cool to play Sporting KC in a new Chiefs stadium at Paseo West.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Downtown KCK would be a great option if the UG ever gets serious about focusing on downtown/east side development.
Imarealperson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Imarealperson »

GRID wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 12:59 pm You guys don't make sense. First off it's more like 15-30 miles for most of KC to get to sporting games. Unless you are in western Shawnee or something that stadium is a hike for 90% of metro KC.

I can drive 75mph for 15-30 miles here in DC and can quickly be in the middle of nowhere even here. Doesn't mean I want to.

That stadium is in a stupid location and even though it's developed around it, it's all suburban sprawl. I would bet a million bucks that people that do shop or dine before or after a game there get in their cars and drive to another area parking lot to do it.

30 Miles? Read a map.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Imarealperson wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:36 am
GRID wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 12:59 pm You guys don't make sense. First off it's more like 15-30 miles for most of KC to get to sporting games. Unless you are in western Shawnee or something that stadium is a hike for 90% of metro KC.

30 Miles? Read a map.
Huh? Why don’t you read a map? I said 15 TO 30 miles and honestly I should have said 40 miles because some of the eastern suburbs are a 40 mile drive to Village West. But much of the suburban MO side from Grandview to Liberty are 30 plus miles to VW. Even South Overland Park is around 30 miles, so is South Olathe/Gardner. Even 435 and State line is like 25 miles from Sporting stadium. And like 80% probably drive 20 plus miles to that stadium since the ten mile radius from VW is the least populated area of metro KC.

So I’m not the one that needs to read a map.
Imarealperson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Imarealperson »

Liberty. Ha. Excellent point.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Move SKC to the Crossroads at 19th & Grand
Jblanco
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Jblanco »

Washington Square Park is where a new MLS stadium should go. That entire area including the old BC blue shield building could become a high-rise residential soccer mini-hood. This would tie into the other great family-friendly attractions a minute away; Crown Center, Union Station, WW1 and best place to take full advantage of the streetcar. That's real critical mass.

I wish people would wake up and stop mentioning Paseo West and other disparate places. Paseo West will not be developed for another 100 years - not a chance. Putting anything there would be worse than Kemper going to the West Bottoms back in the 70s. And why, if the Royals are going to EV would anyone want to have another stadium across the highway? That's insane.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

GRID wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:30 am

30 Miles? Read a map.
Huh? Why don’t you read a map? I said 15 TO 30 miles and honestly I should have said 40 miles because some of the eastern suburbs are a 40 mile drive to Village West. But much of the suburban MO side from Grandview to Liberty are 30 plus miles to VW. Even South Overland Park is around 30 miles, so is South Olathe/Gardner. Even 435 and State line is like 25 miles from Sporting stadium. And like 80% probably drive 20 plus miles to that stadium since the ten mile radius from VW is the least populated area of metro KC.

Nobody is saying the Legends is a wonderful place. It is indeed sprawl. But it's uncongested Kansas City. My home in Leawood is only 24 miles from the Legends and I can literally get out there is 20 minutes. If this was Houston, going across town to attend a game/match on the opposite side of town would indeed be an ordeal. But it's Kansas City. With a few exceptions, I can drive almost anywhere in the metro on highways at or higher than the speed limit at any time with almost no impediments. When I lived in Houston, the first thought in considering a trip anywhere in town was traffic and do I want to deal with it - aggressive driving and congestion 24/7 almost everywhere. It absolutely influenced where we went on a daily basis. Not the case in KC. There is little impediment other than the cost of gasoline to driving all over the metro. It doesn't take me very long to get to the Legends, Liberty, Lees Summit or even KCI.

And again, as shitty and suburban as the Legends is, it's kind of success story for KCK. They created a critical mass there against all odds. Had KC invested in the area around TSC early on, NASCAR, NFM and other venues could now be in Missouri instead of at the edge of the metro in KCK. Had it happened as such, I doubt if downtown would even be in the discussion now for the Royals. But the Legends area is not difficult to get to from most points in the metro. It's even a pretty straight shot from Lees Summit albeit long but on weekend it's a pretty easy uncongested drive.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Highlander wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:55 pm My home in Leawood is only 24 miles from the Legends and I can literally get out there is 20 minutes.
Nobody who lives in Leawood ever goes to the Legends.

Source: someone who grew up in Leawood my whole life. And recently.

Sporting KC being way out in the Legends is a big reason we never went to games actually. If it were actually in JoCo I may have grown up a fan. But instead, SKC cost themselves fandom from everyone in Missouri, and most of JoCo because they chose to go where hardly anyone lives except some northern JoCo people.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 2:14 pm
Highlander wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:55 pm My home in Leawood is only 24 miles from the Legends and I can literally get out there is 20 minutes.
Nobody who lives in Leawood ever goes to the Legends.

Source: someone who grew up in Leawood my whole life. And recently.

Sporting KC being way out in the Legends is a big reason we never went to games actually. If it were actually in JoCo I may have grown up a fan. But instead, SKC cost themselves fandom from everyone in Missouri, and most of JoCo because they chose to go where hardly anyone lives except some northern JoCo people.
I rarely go to the Legends as there's no point; there's really nothing other than NFM there that I need to visit. I have family members, however, in southwest Johnson County and also Leawood that go to MLS games and Legends quite a bit.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Highlander wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:55 pm
GRID wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:30 am

30 Miles? Read a map.

Nobody is saying the Legends is a wonderful place. It is indeed sprawl. But it's uncongested Kansas City. My home in Leawood is only 24 miles from the Legends and I can literally get out there is 20 minutes. If this was Houston, going across town to attend a game/match on the opposite side of town would indeed be an ordeal. But it's Kansas City. With a few exceptions, I can drive almost anywhere in the metro on highways at or higher than the speed limit at any time with almost no impediments. When I lived in Houston, the first thought in considering a trip anywhere in town was traffic and do I want to deal with it - aggressive driving and congestion 24/7 almost everywhere. It absolutely influenced where we went on a daily basis. Not the case in KC. There is little impediment other than the cost of gasoline to driving all over the metro. It doesn't take me very long to get to the Legends, Liberty, Lees Summit or even KCI.

And again, as shitty and suburban as the Legends is, it's kind of success story for KCK. They created a critical mass there against all odds. Had KC invested in the area around TSC early on, NASCAR, NFM and other venues could now be in Missouri instead of at the edge of the metro in KCK. Had it happened as such, I doubt if downtown would even be in the discussion now for the Royals. But the Legends area is not difficult to get to from most points in the metro. It's even a pretty straight shot from Lees Summit albeit long but on weekend it's a pretty easy uncongested drive.
I get it, but it's still far. I mean, I can be in the middle of Washington or Baltimore from where I live in 30 minutes as both are 25 miles away. The difference is, I can't stand the Village West area. That area is literally repulsive to me. It's about as opposite you can get as far as areas I like to be in, so if I lived in KC, I would probably rarely ever go to games there. If it were in Washington Sq Park, I would probably have season tickets. That's how much I hate the location. But even if you don't hate that area as much as I do, I don't get why people would want to drive out there. It's just worth the drive to me, but I have a different opinion on what I think is worth driving to I guess.

And for the record, the DC-Baltimore area is huge and I will drive all over the place here, but the closest thing to an exurban shopping district like that is probably the National Harbor and even though that area is a bit too touristy/suburban for my taste, it blows VW out of the water because it's not rednecky rural people touristy like the VW area is (that's how it feels to me anyway).
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

:shock:

mlssoccer.com
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »