Sporting Kansas City

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Sporting Kansas City

Post by rxlexi »

Big-time playoff match between Sporting and STL City incoming. Didn't see that coming at the beginning of the season.

Strange and kind of frustrating that the first game of the series is Sunday at 9 PM CST. Will it be broadcast locally or only on Apple TV/MLS Pass?
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

Never underestimate MLS' ineptness in broadcast scheduling.

Sunday's game will also be on FS1/Fox Deportes.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

swid wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:42 am Sunday's game will also be on FS1/Fox Deportes.
Thanks
Imarealperson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Imarealperson »

GRID wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:53 pm So it looks like KC now has one of the smallest stadiums in MLS and for that reason KC's attendance has fallen down to 19th?

https://soccerstadiumdigest.com/2023-mls-attendance/

I'm sure on many weekends KC could draw 25-30k. Besides the terrible location, isn't this another reason to build a new stadium in a better location?
Who is going to pay for it? It’ll be $400MM.

Would you prefer they play at Arrowhead just so the capacity can be larger? Atlanta, Seattle, NYCFC, Vancouver, Chicago, New England and Charlotte all use non soccer specific stadiums.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/sporting- ... 13374.html

Quindaro Ruins stuff is cool and this also feels like the team is starting to finish off it's debt obligations to the UG. I think we'll see some movement soon enough now.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

Sporting looks to be getting office space in 300 Wyandotte, working with Multistudio (Gould Evans). Guessing this is a front office move, which has been at 1511 Baltimore and more recently 2020 Baltimore. https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... 583634bf0c
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Have the team play in Wyandotte, have your front office on Wyandotte.
KC is the way to be!
Imarealperson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Imarealperson »

TheSmokinPun wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:11 pm https://sports.yahoo.com/news/sporting- ... 13374.html

Quindaro Ruins stuff is cool and this also feels like the team is starting to finish off it's debt obligations to the UG. I think we'll see some movement soon enough now.
Not happening.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

Imarealperson wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:50 pm
TheSmokinPun wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:11 pm https://sports.yahoo.com/news/sporting- ... 13374.html

Not happening.
Moving? It's going to really pick up momentum in even the next few months.
Imarealperson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Imarealperson »

From guys playing RPG SimCity on a message board?
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

rxlexi wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:48 am Big-time playoff match between Sporting and STL City incoming. Didn't see that coming at the beginning of the season.

Strange and kind of frustrating that the first game of the series is Sunday at 9 PM CST. Will it be broadcast locally or only on Apple TV/MLS Pass?
It's just a one game playoff, no series. MLS playoffs are so weird. The first round is best of 3 series then the rest of playoffs is single elimination
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

It's never been a secret that Sporting wants to play in a downtown home stadium or near downtown. I think Current building their stadium really pushed back the timeline for Sporting now that there is no clear use for CMP if they leave.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

bspecht wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:10 pm Sporting looks to be getting office space in 300 Wyandotte, working with Multistudio (Gould Evans). Guessing this is a front office move, which has been at 1511 Baltimore and more recently 2020 Baltimore. https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... 583634bf0c
10-year lease. https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... roads.html
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

If sporting starts playing poorly, I think there is a good chance their attendance drops like a rock and they will quickly go to the bottom tier of attendance.

I think this is where location will hurt them, just like the Royals.

Weekday attendance, drawing from a younger more urban demographic etc will become a serious challenge, just like the Royals have.

I think even if the Royals lose 100 games in a year, they would draw substantially more than their weekday average of 11k to a downtown park (even after the new stadium honeymoon attendance boost).
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

It's an interesting point. A close friend of mine texted me awhile ago asking if I wanted to split his sporting KC season tickets or he was going to drop them. I said no mainly because of the stadium location.

One thing I hope for in stadium locations is to rethink how they're used. There's no reason a royals outfield shouldn't be bars where people go and the ticket is effectively a cover.

I would go to sportingkc but I'm not going to drive out there for a club I don't care that much about. An urban stadium could have other events.

It was a big failure by sporting KC. Their culture and base is all in downtown KC.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

They had nowhere else to go. It was lose the team or build there.

They are trying with the cheaper U-Pass system but the fact there are fewer young people driving is really going to ultimately kill that location.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

GRID wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:05 pm If sporting starts playing poorly, I think there is a good chance their attendance drops like a rock and they will quickly go to the bottom tier of attendance.

Weekday attendance, drawing from a younger more urban demographic etc will become a serious challenge, just like the Royals have.

I think even if the Royals lose 100 games in a year, they would draw substantially more than their weekday average of 11k to a downtown park (even after the new stadium honeymoon attendance boost).
Averages I was able to find across the league was about 5,000 average higher for urban stadiums with some equally as poor ball teams.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:17 pm
GRID wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:05 pm If sporting starts playing poorly, I think there is a good chance their attendance drops like a rock and they will quickly go to the bottom tier of attendance.

Averages I was able to find across the league was about 5,000 average higher for urban stadiums with some equally as poor ball teams.
I think people that aren't huge soccer fans underestimate just how fun urban soccer is as well. Having two downtown stadiums and arrowhead and multiple training grounds would cement KC as a constant host.

To the earlier poster who said they had no choice, I agree and disagree. KC government was fucked then. It's all sad. But the owners had little interest in downtown at that time. The other option was banister.

If it happens today this is downtown with no questions asked. Timing is everything and sucked all around.
Imarealperson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Imarealperson »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:17 pm

Did you adjust for population?
Imarealperson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Imarealperson »

TheSmokinPun wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:30 pm They had nowhere else to go. It was lose the team or build there.

They are trying with the cheaper U-Pass system but the fact there are fewer young people driving is really going to ultimately kill that location.
Fewer young people driving? Absurd. The base comes in off 435. It’s not the overweight neckbeards spilling out of tattoo parlors on Broadway.