Main Street (MainCor) Streetscape

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
Stockton
Colonnade
Colonnade

Main Street (MainCor) Streetscape

Post by Stockton »

I couldn't find a thread on this subject, so here is the website with information including the master plan:

http://www.maincor.org/?page=plans

Anyway, what do you all think of the progress so far?

While I generally prefer classical design over modern, I'm mostly happy with the results of what's been completed. However, I do think they've been obsessive with the excessive use of the MainCor or Main Street logos, and maybe wasted money. On every light pole, seriously? And I've even noticed what look like decorative elements that have been installed atop every light pole. Interesting, but possibly excessive. The worst thing about the whole project that I've noticed recently is they've replaced all the street signs on at least the overhead stoplight masts with smaller, less visible signage. That's not good for folks finding their way who aren't familiar with the area.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Main Street (MainCor) Streetscape

Post by lock+load »

Agreed about the street signs. No reason each part of town needs their own street signs, and even if they do, they should be as readable as the ones they are replacing.
ThaMexican
New York Life
New York Life

Post by ThaMexican »

I think it is progress but some of the stuff they are doing is interesting. I was having a coffe at Oddly Correct and I thought they had some bike raks but the owner told me it was a bench. I tested it and all you can do is sorta lean on it, I think it would be useful if you are tired but not as comftable as a regular bench.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

ThaMexican wrote:I think it is progress but some of the stuff they are doing is interesting. I was having a coffe at Oddly Correct and I thought they had some bike raks but the owner told me it was a bench. I tested it and all you can do is sorta lean on it, I think it would be useful if you are tired but not as comftable as a regular bench.
The benches were made like that to prevent homeless and those types of people from camping out. It is even quoted in MainCor as to why these benches are like this. Not sure if it's a good thing or bad thing, I mean the bums have to go somewhere.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

walked this whole stretch over the weekend. perfect balance of utilitarianism and style. gobs of LED streetlights at pedestrian level. can't wait for the whole stretch to complete.
ThaMexican
New York Life
New York Life

Post by ThaMexican »

The benches were made like that to prevent homeless and those types of people from camping out. It is even quoted in MainCor as to why these benches are like this. Not sure if it's a good thing or bad thing, I mean the bums have to go somewhere.

Oh yes I forgot to mentioned that, I was told that was the main reason and on all honesty I like it, it is a good idea while providing a place to rest, but as I mentioned before not as good as a regular bench. Would I used it absolutly if I am tired :)
AF
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by AF »

bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Great news overall. The redshirts sound like a great addition. My only beef would be that the logo looks way too much like a Metro symbol for any city in the world. I could see this confusing people who aren't familiar with our transit system, depending on where the logo is placed.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

It looks so much better than it used to. And, I'm happy Cap Fed is moving in as that's my bank and the closest branch is 75th and StateLine.

Gotta love Stackhouse's comments about the project being way overdone with "too many baubles and trinkets to maintain." I guess if new concrete and trees are baubles and trinkets, then Angie is right on track. Otherwise, I have no idea what she's talking about. The project is very basic, fundamental and in good taste, IMO.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

KC-wildcat wrote:It looks so much better than it used to. And, I'm happy Cap Fed is moving in as that's my bank and the closest branch is 75th and StateLine.

Gotta love Stackhouse's comments about the project being way overdone with "too many baubles and trinkets to maintain." I guess if new concrete and trees are baubles and trinkets, then Angie is right on track. Otherwise, I have no idea what she's talking about. The project is very basic, fundamental and in good taste, IMO.
i assume the "baubles" would be the many "M" signs, the historic photo marker things everywhere, the "artistic" looking lights in the sidewalks, the wacky painted crosswalks, etc.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

chrizow wrote:
KC-wildcat wrote:It looks so much better than it used to. And, I'm happy Cap Fed is moving in as that's my bank and the closest branch is 75th and StateLine.

i assume the "baubles" would be the many "M" signs, the historic photo marker things everywhere, the "artistic" looking lights in the sidewalks, the wacky painted crosswalks, etc.
Probably. But, are these things any more difficult or expensive to maintain than those found on an ordinary thoroughfare?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

KC-wildcat wrote: Gotta love Stackhouse's comments about the project being way overdone with "too many baubles and trinkets to maintain."
Why that woman is quoted for anything is beyond me. Crotchety old bitteresses should be ignored.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

yea, talk about reaching to find something to dislike about it. :roll:
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

She gets quoted because she's a former city council member and parks and recreation commissioner.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

FangKC wrote:She gets quoted because she's a former city council member and parks and recreation commissioner.
And is good for a complaint sound bite. "To provide balance to this story, we need to find someone opposed to this. Quick, call Aggie!"
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

I take my comment back. In the 1980's, Kansas City was falling apart, with midtown becoming the home of crack cocaine, prostitutes, decaying buildings and general filth. I'd rather be a crotchety ol bitch than a sellout runaway. At least she stayed when others ran away from the problems. But, maybe this shoe leather tough exterior needed to fight the underbelly needs to lighten up and become a better cheerleader. I've found the hardest thing in life is realizing when to pass the torch and celebrate the renewed ideas of a younger generation.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

beautyfromashes wrote: I've found the hardest thing in life is realizing when to pass the torch and celebrate the renewed ideas of a younger generation.
The torch is passed only when one dies. Just because a younger generation has different ideas doesn't mean they are better, or worse. Just different. And much like the younger generation can be critical of the ideas of the older generation the older generation can be critical of the ideas of the younger.

In other words, just because you are older doesn't mean one has to keep his or her mouth shut and mind closed.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

aknowledgeableperson wrote:
beautyfromashes wrote: I've found the hardest thing in life is realizing when to pass the torch and celebrate the renewed ideas of a younger generation.
The torch is passed only when one dies. Just because a younger generation has different ideas doesn't mean they are better, or worse. Just different. And much like the younger generation can be critical of the ideas of the older generation the older generation can be critical of the ideas of the younger.

In other words, just because you are older doesn't mean one has to keep his or her mouth shut and mind closed.
Yeah, I probably would have guessed you for a torch hog. :) The thing is, when you keep the power for yourself when you get older, you lose the invaluable opportunity to teach. You also don't get the chance to challenge your mind with new thought, thus keeping your mind young. Stagnation of thought is a big killer. So, AKP, I'm sure youve been extremely successful in your life. Maybe, it's time to become a mentor. Put aside your traditional thoughts on development, religion, politics, business, or raising children. It might be a good challenge and give you the opportunity to totally reinvent yourself. At the end of your life you might be able to say that you were successful twice over in the same field/ category.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

It's amazing how much those changes have improved the look of the area. The buildings are exactly the same but they somehow look nicer.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

beautyfromashes wrote:In other words, just because you are older doesn't mean one has to keep his or her mouth shut and mind closed.
Put aside your traditional thoughts on development, religion, politics, business, or raising children. It might be a good challenge and give you the opportunity to totally reinvent yourself. At the end of your life you might be able to say that you were successful twice over in the same field/ category.[/quote]

Notice at the end I said "doesn't mean one has to keep his or her ... mind closed." In many areas my mind is open, maybe not a opened as others, but maybe open as much or more as many that would be younger. Many young people have rather closed minds, may you be one?

Anyway, no matter one's age one is entitled to express one's opinion even if it doesn't agree with yours.

Besides, I have very little power anyway.