OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by shinatoo »

I park in that garage at least 4 Fri/Sat nights a month and have never had trouble finding open spots. Usually level 3 and up is wide open.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

pittsburghparoyal wrote: Whatever.  When was the last time you tried parking on the Plaza on a Thur, Fri or Sat nite?  Good luck.
are you kidding me?!?!!?  :lol:

there are ALWAYS multiple levels of space open in the Valencia and Saks garages on any night of the week, including in the spring and summer.

hell, when i was an undergrad, my friends and i would take six-packs to the top of the Saks garage and just stand there and drink, listen to music, watch the sun go down, etc. - THEN go to the bars or out to eat or whatever.  not only would we be the only people parked in the top 2 or 3 levels (save for a couple of employee vehicles), we wouldn't see a soul the entire time we were up there (including plaza security  :lol:). 

the wyandotte garage by Halls is usually pretty full, and maybe a couple of the others, but the Jefferson Ave, Valencia, and Saks garages are routinely half-empty.

i can understand people in the KC metro complaining about a lot of things about KCMO, but lack of parking is NOT one of them.  i have a more difficult time parking in columbia than in KCMO. 
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I go to the Plaza quite often, and parking may be more difficult to find than usual, but you can usually find a spot within 5 minutes or so. This ain't freakin DC. And the parking that is planned for the P&L seems to be a lot more than the Plaza - is that correct?
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

maybe someone should convince highwoods properties to install those open space counters, similar to the ones on the garages at zona rosa.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

^that'd be a great idea for the P+L District too.  Parking wayfinding system that would be so obvious no suburbanite could complain of not finding parking.

I'm going to second all the people saying parking at the Plaza is NOT a problem on any given weekend.  I regularly park in the garage next to Barnes and Nobles and will find parking on the ground level 95% of the time.  The 5% that i don't, i go to the virtually empty second level.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

i have never had a problem parking in the plaza or in westport, crown center or anywhere.
and its FREE. 

even downtown its possible to find on-street parking during the week that is NOT metered within at the most 5 blocks of a destination.

admiral boulevard and grand come to mind as a wealth of meter free spots, as does mcgee, parts of central, and the numbered streets east of broadway.
even behind the marriot downtown, on 11th street, is free parking.
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

anyhoo, back to the actual P&L district... walked the perimeter today and this thing is amazing. noticed several things:

1) on the 13th street side of the h+r block building, it looks like the steel beams will support a large (indoor?) stairway up to the second level
2) the jones lot (which unfortunately is not visible on the webcam) is almost completely excavated... is that block supposed to open in 2006?
3) appears they're also using pre-formed concrete sections to expedite construction (lots of them on flatbed near truman)
4) the lights/display that adorned the southeast corner of the block building are no longer lit. anyone seem them lately?
5) underground parking structure between walnut and grand is five levels underground
6) the midland is beautful, now that it's fully exposed. judging from the designs, it looks like the south facade will be permanently visible?

and finally, grand between truman and 13th is covered in at least 1-2 inches of muck...
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Last edited by Deleted User on Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

clever use of green there!
i like it!
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

DaveKCMO wrote: 1) on the 13th street side of the h+r block building, it looks like the steel beams will support a large (indoor?) stairway up to the second level
I think what you are talking about is actually the seating area for the MoRep Theater. 
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

LenexatoKCMO wrote:I think what you are talking about is actually the seating area for the MoRep Theater.
i thought someone had mentioned that on an earlier page in this thread. is that area shown on any official renderings? seems like a waste to have that area on 13th blank to passersby (assuming it won't be glass, like the theater in the time warner building on columbus circle).
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

here is a pic Xing took inside a Lucky Strike in Chicago.  looks like Cosmic Bowling for the River Market set....which is awesome. 

bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Maybe they'll let people play on week nights without being in a league. Here's to hope.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

bahua wrote: Maybe they'll let people play on week nights without being in a league. Here's to hope.
The forum needs some downtown neighborhood teams to go head to head.  River Market team, x-roads team, loop team, midtown team, etc. 
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

union hill team, longfellow team, crown center team.

i'll be on the W39 team...
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

Forgive my ignorance.

But all I've really seen talked about for the P&L are activities (bars, bowling alleys, theaters, etc) and dining/restaurants.

Any plans for shopping?  I know "the list" is a WIP.  chirzow got me thinking that an REI would be cool down there.  Right next to the 3 story Borders.  :-D
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Kard wrote: Forgive my ignorance.

But all I've really seen talked about for the P&L are activities (bars, bowling alleys, theaters, etc) and dining/restaurants.

Any plans for shopping?  I know "the list" is a WIP.  chirzow got me thinking that an REI would be cool down there.  Right next to the 3 story Borders.  :-D
There is supposed to be an upscale shopping area on Baltimore street. Refer back to the threads about each specific block and you'll find more info. In short, Cordish was promising "Plazaesque" retail in the northwest part of the development. Kate Spade was one name that was thrown around at one point.
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

Is the Power and Light District still supposed to be opening Fall of 06?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

pieces of it.  I think it's a rolling opening kind of like you have seen at the Legends.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc