OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by DColeKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:38 pm IN MY OPINION: I think Cordish is starting to realize that local businesses are the ticket for P&L. They seem to have maintained the longest, except for a few exceptions ie. Chefburger (great concept that did extremely well at the beginning but go wrapped up in a wave of craziness) and Kill Devil Club (terrible location). Cordish should take the long play with places like the Bristol instead of chasing the bigger chains that need more return. Fill all the locations and then slowly increase rent due to scarcity. They seem to be on the right path now. Wish they would have listened to people on this board earlier.
To be fair, it has been primarily local all this time. I completely agree that they came out of the gate chasing the bigger national chains and made some mistakes, hello Famous Daves! However they've been focused on local local local for the past decade or so.

In my opinion, you need that mix. Mostly local but a handful of national chains is great overall. Of course you're going to take shit from the local "organic growth" crowd by bringing in the nationals but PNL isn't just a local hangout. It's a tourist attraction and a huge regional draw.

They could have learned from this forum before they opened for sure.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I do miss Chefburger
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

smh wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:16 pm I do miss Chefburger
Still my favorite all time P&L tenant.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:17 pm
IN MY OPINION: I really wonder what would have happened had its legs not been cut. Lots of places start strong but then taper off. It was good though! I'm glad BRGR is there, and I like it but it's not quite as good.

Still wonder why we don't have a pizza place in the district. With as many volleyball tournaments and cheer tournaments and sports you'd think it would be prime for a traditional 1980s style joint.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:02 pm
IN MY OPINION: I really wonder what would have happened had its legs not been cut. Lots of places start strong but then taper off. It was good though! I'm glad BRGR is there, and I like it but it's not quite as good.

Still wonder why we don't have a pizza place in the district. With as many volleyball tournaments and cheer tournaments and sports you'd think it would be prime for a traditional 1980s style joint.
Johnny's and Pizza Bar (dumb name) sling a ton of pie. Could maybe use another one over on the west side of the district.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I've said a dozen times over the years that the never filled spot on the NW corner of 14th and Main was MADE for Mellow Mushroom (which still has no KC area locations). Not local of course, but tasty and knows how to serve a crowd.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:11 pm

Johnny's and Pizza Bar (dumb name) sling a ton of pie. Could maybe use another one over on the west side of the district.
I’ve talked with others about this, but those bays that exist on the N side of the alley at what would be the base of Strata would be great for some low lease rate hole in the wall type places. A walk-up counter pizza place being one that would excel, but also small boutique type things, a hole in the wall style bar. A lot of options in what seems from outside perspective to be a wildly underutilized space.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

IN MY OPINION: There needs to be a family style pizza place outside of the Live! (Why an ! ?) District. This would be a great opportunity to fill a second story piece with it taking up both a first for food and second for entertainment.
Last edited by beautyfromashes on Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:27 pm IN MY OPINION: (Why an ! ?)
So people know it's an adverb and not an adjective.
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC_Ari »

beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:27 pm IN MY OPINION: There needs to be a family style Pulitzer place outside of the Live! (Why an ! ?) District. This would be a great opportunity to fill a second story piece with it taking up both a first for food and second for entertainment.
What is Pulitzer place?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

There are several places downtown that a place like Shakespeare's Pizza could expand into from Columbia. There would be a built-in customer base of former MU students.

Does anyone know if Simmons Bank is taking over the entire Bonfils Building at 1200 Grand or just a portion of it?

They might also do okay in the corner space of the Professional Building at 11th and Grand where Jimmy Johns was, or the corner space in the Argyle Building at 12th and McGee.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

FangKC wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:18 pm There are several places downtown that a place like Shakespeare's Pizza could expand into from Columbia. There would be a built-in customer base of former MU students.
This would honestly be brilliant for P&L. They already have Johnny’s to cater to KU fans. Shakespeare’s would be the go to for any Mizzou fans on Gameday.

Maybe they could also get a Smitty’s Garage and get a place for OSU fans downtown
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

smh wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:11 pm

I've said a dozen times over the years that the never filled spot on the NW corner of 14th and Main was MADE for Mellow Mushroom (which still has no KC area locations). Not local of course, but tasty and knows how to serve a crowd.
dream tenant imo
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Who doesn't love a boozy milkshake?
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

wahoowa wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:25 am the naming decision at ice house has always been a little weird. it made more sense when they first opened as they had many more non bbq options (multiple taco offerings using smoked meats, mexican adjacent sides, etc). the pitch when they opened was more "joe's plus" than "joe's downtown". but they took basically all those menu items away during covid. the naming discrepancy between this and joe's makes even less sense on the consumer side now.
lol the tacos are back as of like the past 4 days. old brisket nacho recipe back too. covid's officially over lets go!!
bricknose
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by bricknose »

I went to Ice House the other night. I asked if they had fall-off-the-bone ribs and they explained that pork ribs don’t really do that, and that’s more what beef ribs do.

I’ve been to Texas Roadhouse many times and really enjoy their super tender ribs that you can eat with a knife and fork, no fingers required. There’s no way those were beef ribs. The rack bones were the same size.

So, what the hell?
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Pork ribs should not fall off the bone. If they do they are overcooked. That will.lose you points in any BBQ competition.

If you like them that way, go for it. But it's outside the standard.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

bricknose wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:41 am I went to Ice House the other night. I asked if they had fall-off-the-bone ribs and they explained that pork ribs don’t really do that, and that’s more what beef ribs do.

I’ve been to Texas Roadhouse many times and really enjoy their super tender ribs that you can eat with a knife and fork, no fingers required. There’s no way those were beef ribs. The rack bones were the same size.

So, what the hell?
They are correct. You ate boiled ribs. You may like that and all but consider the two places
bricknose
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by bricknose »

KCPowercat wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:42 am
bricknose wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:41 am I went to Ice House the other night. I asked if they had fall-off-the-bone ribs and they explained that pork ribs don’t really do that, and that’s more what beef ribs do.

So, what the hell?
They are correct. You ate boiled ribs. You may like that and all but consider the two places
Fair enough. I do like them that way.

Any recommendations for places in KC that do it that style, apart from Texas Roadhouse itself?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

they'd probably all go out of business in KC lol