2011 - 2012 College Football Season

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
MoMan
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: 2011 - 2012 College Football Season

Post by MoMan »

bobbyhawks wrote:Sorry, but a KSU win by that margin would be 10x the victory that MU had that year. That Arkansas team was in the top 25 by reputation alone and had zero interest in playing in that game. The two teams this year are both legit top 10. MU's 2007 team played a similar schedule to this year's KSU team, even though KSU had to navigate the Big 12 round robin, and Arkansas has 3 top 15 victories.
I don't have the strength of schedule stats handy, but I do remember that Mizzou played three BCS bowl teams that year and defeated two of them. Kansas State played two BCS bowl teams this year and lost to both.

And what on earth makes you claim that Arkansas (which defeated eventual national champion LSU in Baton Rouge in 2007) was a top 25 team by reputation alone that year, and that they had "zero interest" in playing in one of the most prestiigous non-BCS bowls? That makes absolutely no sense at all.

EDIT: Kansas State played one game against a BCS team this year, and lost. Mizzou played four games against BCS teams in 2007, and won twice.
Last edited by MoMan on Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

MoMan wrote:
bobbyhawks wrote:Sorry, but a KSU win by that margin would be 10x the victory that MU had that year. That Arkansas team was in the top 25 by reputation alone and had zero interest in playing in that game. The two teams this year are both legit top 10. MU's 2007 team played a similar schedule to this year's KSU team, even though KSU had to navigate the Big 12 round robin, and Arkansas has 3 top 15 victories.
I don't have the strength of schedule stats handy, but I do remember that Mizzou played three BCS bowl teams that year and defeated two of them. Kansas State played two BCS bowl teams this year and lost to both.

And what on earth makes you claim that Arkansas (which defeated eventual national champion LSU in Baton Rouge in 2007) was a top 25 team by reputation alone that year, and that they had "zero interest" in playing in one of the most prestiigous non-BCS bowls? That makes absolutely no sense at all.
Two of the three biggest jokes to ever make the BCS. Congrats.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

MoMan. Lol.

bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

MoMan wrote:I don't have the strength of schedule stats handy, but I do remember that Mizzou played three BCS bowl teams that year and defeated two of them. Kansas State played two BCS bowl teams this year and lost to both.
So, does that mean you are legitimizing KU as a BCS-worthy team, or will you admit that the "how many BCS teams you played" stat is misleading? Illinois finished #30 in the Sagarin rankings that year, however Kansas did finish #2. You were 2-4 against "BCS" teams. So, yes, 3 teams, but 4 games. You were 3-2 against Sagarin Top 25. As things stand now, KSU is 4-2 vs. Sagarin Top 25 with a chance to be 5-2. So, yeah, BCS teams and such. The "BCS" label is certainly an honor, but this year more than any other, the BCS has proven it is only a label. The Cotton Bowl can be a great matchup, and this year it is certainly better than two of the BCS games, but that Arkansas/MU matchup was just ugly.
MoMan wrote:And what on earth makes you claim that Arkansas (which defeated eventual national champion LSU in Baton Rouge in 2007) was a top 25 team by reputation alone that year, and that they had "zero interest" in playing in one of the most prestiigous non-BCS bowls? That makes absolutely no sense at all.
Arkansas was 1-4 vs. Sagarin Top 25 opponents that year. As for interest, they had no head coach and McFadden and Jones were both already focused on the NFL draft. I spent a lot of time working in Arkansas that Fall and Winter, and I listened to sports radio during commutes, so that's what made me think that people were not excited about the Cotton Bowl... actual people in Arkansas. They were already talking about next season and who their coach would be (Petrino was hired in the middle there but didn't coach the game) from late November through the bowl game with very little of the conversation, if any, focused on MU. There were so many distractions for the players, it was rumored that some of the NFL talent essentially did not play 100% in the bowl game for fear of injury. Arkansas was #25 in the Sagarin, so they were on the border legitimately, but they were in total disarray by the bowl game.
MoMan
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by MoMan »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote:Two of the three biggest jokes to ever make the BCS. Congrats.
No argument there. I mentioned it since BCS appearances (or lack thereof) seem to be cited frequently in here as some sort of measure of a football program's strength. It very clearly isn't.
MidtownCat wrote:MoMan. Lol.

LOL?? Let me in on what's so giggle-worthy. I'm confused.
bobbyhawks wrote: So, does that mean you are legitimizing KU as a BCS-worthy team, or will you admit that the "how many BCS teams you played" stat is misleading? Illinois finished #30 in the Sagarin rankings that year, however Kansas did finish #2. You were 2-4 against "BCS" teams. So, yes, 3 teams, but 4 games. You were 3-2 against Sagarin Top 25. As things stand now, KSU is 4-2 vs. Sagarin Top 25 with a chance to be 5-2.
It's telling that you use the Sagarin (!) rankings as the basis for your argument. They currently have Oklahoma at #4, Texas A&M at #13, and Mizzou at #15. Those rankings are a joke, this year as in every other year--none more infamously than 2007 when a Kansas team that had one victory all year against a team with a winning record finished at #2.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

MoMan wrote:
I'm confused.
We know.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

MoMan wrote:I don't have the strength of schedule stats handy, but I do remember that Mizzou played three BCS bowl teams that year and defeated two of them.
EDIT: Kansas State played one game against a BCS team this year, and lost. Mizzou played four games against BCS teams in 2007, and won twice.
MoMan wrote:No argument there. I mentioned it since BCS appearances (or lack thereof) seem to be cited frequently in here as some sort of measure of a football program's strength. It very clearly isn't.
MoMan wrote:It's telling that you use the Sagarin (!) rankings as the basis for your argument. They currently have Oklahoma at #4, Texas A&M at #13, and Mizzou at #15. Those rankings are a joke, this year as in every other year--none more infamously than 2007 when a Kansas team that had one victory all year against a team with a winning record finished at #2.
OK. So you want to cite BCS records when convenient, and you want to cite SOS based rankings when convenient. What computer rankings do you use? I will compare MU 2007 to KSU 2011 in any of the legit rankings. In the 2007 BCS rankings, MU was 2-2 vs. top 25 teams. In the BCS this year, KSU is 2-2 vs. top 25 and has one more game on the schedule.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Rumor is KU has hired or is close to hiring.....Charlie Weis. :shock:
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Lol. Wow. I'd get Turner gill back
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

KCMax wrote:Rumor is KU has hired or is close to hiring.....Charlie Weis. :shock:
Not sure at all what I think about that. The positive spin would be he is a great offensive mind and has been to a few BCS games. The negative spin would be that those were BCS games at Notre Dame with someone else's players and that he didn't do much with some of the talent they had.

I wouldn't be angry with this move, though. KU is either in the position of needing to give someone a second chance or picking a relative no name with potential and little to no experience. Recruiting-wise, Weis would be a bigger name than anyone else we could bring in. It would also anger Notre Dame fans if he was ever good, which I would love.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

bobbyhawks wrote:
KCMax wrote:Rumor is KU has hired or is close to hiring.....Charlie Weis. :shock:
Not sure at all what I think about that. The positive spin would be he is a great offensive mind and has been to a few BCS games. The negative spin would be that those were BCS games at Notre Dame with someone else's players and that he didn't do much with some of the talent they had.

I wouldn't be angry with this move, though. KU is either in the position of needing to give someone a second chance or picking a relative no name with potential and little to no experience. Recruiting-wise, Weis would be a bigger name than anyone else we could bring in. It would also anger Notre Dame fans if he was ever good, which I would love.
Wouldn't anger me one bit.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Pretty classy move by LSU, by putting an half-page ad in the local newspaper supporting Missouri playing a Bowl game in their state. I wonder if any of the 4 Big 12 schools in Texas will do something similar to show support for Kansas State playing in the Cotton Bowl?!

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Money would have done more good buying actual tickets to that game for mu. Amiright?
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Maybe LSU will purchase tickets for Arkansas in the Cotton Bowl.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Hope not. Their fans sold out their allotment. Need more purple than pig in the stands.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Well, maybe the Kentucky Wildcats will help support the Kansas State Wildcats. Like the LSU Tigers did for the Missouri Tigers.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'm not getting what you are trying to say.

Have fun at your bowl game.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Just wondering what people are thinking of this year's Bowl games so far?! Kind of quite in this thread.

Anyone see the Baylor/Washington game (Alamo Bowl)? 123 points scored and 1,700+ yards. Wow.

Mizzou's mascot broke the Independence Bowl trophy. So, Mizzou now has a trophy and a half for winning their Bowl game.

Oklahoma/Iowa in the Insight Bowl: The skycam falls to the field, narrowly missing 2 players. Play was suspended while they cleaned up the wires. I've never seen anything like that happen before.

Any other thoughts from anything else???
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

AllThingsKC wrote:Just wondering what people are thinking of this year's Bowl games so far?! Kind of quite in this thread.

Anyone see the Baylor/Washington game (Alamo Bowl)? 123 points scored and 1,700+ yards. Wow.

Mizzou's mascot broke the Independence Bowl trophy. So, Mizzou now has a trophy and a half for winning their Bowl game.

Oklahoma/Iowa in the Insight Bowl: The skycam falls to the field, narrowly missing 2 players. Play was suspended while they cleaned up the wires. I've never seen anything like that happen before.

The only bowl game I've watched is the Baylor/Washington game. Glad I did too. I can't get into watching most of these games though, as they don't mean anything.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

kcmetro wrote:
AllThingsKC wrote:Just wondering what people are thinking of this year's Bowl games so far?! Kind of quite in this thread.

The only bowl game I've watched is the Baylor/Washington game. Glad I did too. I can't get into watching most of these games though, as they don't mean anything.
Agreed. Only one game actually means anything in the BCS system. I actually prefer the pre-BCS way of deciding the national championship. In that system, there was a at least a reason to watch 2 or 3 bowl games. The BCS system removed none of the subjectivity and made the bowl season boring (and even more boring with two boring SEC teams in the NC game).