Phog.net is buzzing about Kemper Arena

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I haven't been to a packed Kemper in probably five years, and my experience wasn't bad. There were inconveniences associated with being in a confined space with tens of thousands of other people, but wtf do you expect? I read a complaint on the other forum that the concession line took 15 minutes, and I'm like, "that's all?" It can take 15 minutes to get a hamburger at Wendy's on a bad day, and there aren't 1,000 other people trying to get one at exactly the same time from the same counter. Also, those concessions jobs are rather low paying unskilled seasonal jobs...do people really expect the employees to work quickly and passionately to serve them a $7 hot dog? We should consider ourselves lucky they don't mistakenly poison us by pouring degreaser in the nacho cheese machine.

Not that I think Kemper is perfect, it's not. It's old and getting crappy, and it's not very big. But I think the worst thing about Kemper is its location. If the Bottoms weren't dead, and Kemper was surrounded by a cool neighborhood, its other flaws would be less noticeable. First impression and all. If we could find a package deal to give Kemper a facelift and fix up the neighborhood, I think we might have a real winner: a better downtown (or at least, very close to downtown) arena anchoring a budding loft/warehouse/restaurant district. Which opens up the south loop arena site for a new Kauffman Stadium...hmm. I really haven't done the research, so I don't know what it'd cost to bring Kemper into the 21st Century. Anyone know?
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

mean wrote:I really haven't done the research, so I don't know what it'd cost to bring Kemper into the 21st Century. Anyone know?
About 300 million to build a new arena Downtown.

You can turn Indian Springs Mall into a showcase with a Nordstroms, Galyans etc with all the money in the world, would it be a success?

Sometimes you gotta move on...
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Kemper is no longer suitable

Post by FangKC »

I think it's obvious that Kemper is no longer suitable as the city's premier arena. It's okay for tractor pulls and monster truck rallies, and perhaps we should keep it for that purpose. Its location has always been its downfall. People don't stay downtown after events because there is nothing in the West Bottoms, so they just leave and go home, or to Westport. Having the arena next to the proposed entertainment district makes sense because it will keep people downtown after events and give them a place to go. The entertainment district will also serve double duty for visiting conventioneers who are in town and want something to do in the evening.
There is no fifth destination.
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

GRID wrote:
mean wrote:I really haven't done the research, so I don't know what it'd cost to bring Kemper into the 21st Century. Anyone know?
About 300 million to build a new arena Downtown.

You can turn Indian Springs Mall into a showcase with a Nordstroms, Galyans etc with all the money in the world, would it be a success?

Sometimes you gotta move on...
lol, great analogy. Screw Indian Springs as a mall. If I had the cash Id plow over the big ugly thing and build something Kansas City really needs, like a small stadium, and a convention center for the new tourst district......lol
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by ShowME »

I used to always be 110% behind the new arena downtown bandwagon. Now I'm almost to the point where I don't even care anymore. Sure I'd like to see one but the topic doesn't raise my blood pressure like it used to. First of all KC is not getting an NHL or an NBA team. If we did somehow it would be at the expense of one or both of our existing pro-franchises. I'm content on driving 3.5 hours to St. Louis to watch hockey. We've lost the Big 12 basketball tourney from a permanent home in KC to a rotating status which I'm sure those cities will include Dallas, OKC, San Antonio, Houston, Denver...etc. Too many damn cities. Are we going to get the tourney twice or three times as much if we build a new arena than if we have Kemper which I agree is a dump. I don't think so.

So Overland Park, Olathe any JOCO city go ahead make my day and step up to the plate with your $300 million proposal and be clear about your financing and let's see what happens. Something tell's me we'd still be having the same conversation 10 years from now.
Calling a spade a spade.
ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by ShowME »

Now this is funny!!!!

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_np=0&u ... fbefa58b9c

Hmmmm. American Airlines Center in Dallas or Omaha. Boy that's a tuffy.
Calling a spade a spade.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

they should have built a bigger crib if they wanted to run with the big boys.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by ShowME »

Exactly. Isn't that your intention when building a new arena is to hang with the big boys. Sure they might an uptick in convention business but otherwise they're still stuck with the state championship games and nothing better. What a waste.
Calling a spade a spade.