Make Grand Grand

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Make Grand Grand

Post by KCPowercat »

dukuboy1 wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:03 am
im2kull wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:36 am
DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:22 pm Image
What a cluster. Those concrete half moons have already ate numerous cars. Whoever designed this should be fired. Along with the PM for arranging so much concrete work after the repaving.
I assume the lanes closest to the curb is the dedicated bike lane, and those areas marked off next to it are for car parking. Looks like simple labeling would help such as a big label in the parking area stating "PARKING" and then perhaps labeling the bike path as such :BIKE PATH" or even make all the bike paths a specific color. I like the setup it looks well planned just need to make it obvious to people and some more streetscape stuff
Yeah eventually they will be green and help. Work in progress. Should just be stopping parking all together while it's in progress.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:03 am
KCPowercat wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:45 am They are barely big enough to put two feet on and they are 2 foot behind the crosswalk.

Just another half hearted attempt. Make Grand "okay" should be the name of this project.
They serve a purpose and if they cut down even 2% on the driving the wrong way on a one-way problem we have, it's a win.
Expand on this thinking. I don't see how they help with this at all.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:05 am
KCPowercat wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:48 am Parades can never work with trees in the medians.
Would love this look down Grand but would oppose this between 13th and 14th. Prefer a more flexible space to be used here and there for special occasions.
Dcole we are aware you don't think any street touching Cordish should comply to what we are doing in our overall downtown neighborhood. I'm sure they wouldn't put trees there.

Hell we aren't doing it anywhere I was just saying trees can exist on parade streets.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

Did they rebuild the crumbling sidewalks? And what are these half moons? And I agree, trees and planting boxes would do wonders from a pedestrian walking that stretch, especially when it’s 100 degrees out.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:52 am
KCPowercat wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:45 am They are barely big enough to put two feet on and they are 2 foot behind the crosswalk.

Just another half hearted attempt. Make Grand "okay" should be the name of this project.
They serve a purpose and if they cut down even 2% on the driving the wrong way on a one-way problem we have, it's a win.
It prevents people from turning down a one-way in the wrong direction? With the old generic turning lanes, people would enter the turning lanes and not realize they were turning onto a street going the wrong direction.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

It's a nicely laid out street lane configuration. That's the extent of what has changed so far. For some reason the plan isn't public so maybe more is coming
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:55 am
KCPowercat wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:48 am Parades can never work with trees in the medians.
Would love this look down Grand but would oppose this between 13th and 14th. Prefer a more flexible space to be used here and there for special occasions.
Dcole we are aware you don't think any street touching Cordish should comply to what we are doing in our overall downtown neighborhood. I'm sure they wouldn't put trees there.

Hell we aren't doing it anywhere I was just saying trees can exist on parade streets.
Actually I was thinking about events like Big 12 fan fest, Super Bowl watch events and hopefully one day, a NBA or NHL experience as part of perhaps an All-Star weekend or playoff run.

But yeah, Cordish. Your comments can be insanely ignorant sometimes.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:56 am

It prevents people from turning down a one-way in the wrong direction? With the old generic turning lanes, people would enter the turning lanes and not realize they were turning onto a street going the wrong direction.
Ahhh yeah didn't think of them being added to those specific parts of the intersection. I'm with you and yeah that may help (needs signs insert I to the half moons)
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:58 am
KCPowercat wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:55 am

Actually I was thinking about events like Big 12 fan fest, Super Bowl watch events and hopefully one day, a NBA or NHL experience as part of perhaps an All-Star weekend or playoff run.

But yeah, Cordish. Your comments can be insanely ignorant sometimes.
I agree I wouldn't put median trees on those blocks either for those reasons. Cordish runs some of those events no?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

But will we need Grand for public events when the deck park is built?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

FangKC wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:19 am But will we need Grand for public events when the deck park is built?
Will always need it for options tied to events taking place at T-Mobile. The ability to utilize Grand just outside the main entrance to the arena is a big asset for acquiring certain events.

Street festivals not related to specific events at T-Mobile should move to the new park when it’s done.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Are they ever going to add the trees and everything else from the renderings?
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:51 am
dukuboy1 wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:03 am
im2kull wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:36 am

What a cluster. Those concrete half moons have already ate numerous cars. Whoever designed this should be fired. Along with the PM for arranging so much concrete work after the repaving.
I assume the lanes closest to the curb is the dedicated bike lane, and those areas marked off next to it are for car parking. Looks like simple labeling would help such as a big label in the parking area stating "PARKING" and then perhaps labeling the bike path as such :BIKE PATH" or even make all the bike paths a specific color. I like the setup it looks well planned just need to make it obvious to people and some more streetscape stuff
Yeah eventually they will be green and help. Work in progress. Should just be stopping parking all together while it's in progress.
Thank you, I was thinking as much but was not sure. Appreciate the details
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:56 am

They do a pretty piss poor job considering that the street lights don't have arrows, but rather large round "Go straight OR turn" signaling, and that the streets around downtown in general are NOT lined up in a straight, coherent way AT ALL. You literally can't blame drivers who are following what the signaling tells them to do, and who are confused when roads suddenly go from two to three to one lane at a 35* angle. And, I haven't even mentioned the lack of paint striping and arrows on most roads downtown. I'm not sure how everything is so poorly marked, but you can't even see markings on most the roads anymore. Did we fire all the painters over COVID and forget to hire them back??
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I love how the bike lanes divert around the bus stops unto the sidewalks where all the bus passengers are standing. I saw this in action today.
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

FangKC wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:07 am I love how the bike lanes divert around the bus stops unto the sidewalks where all the bus passengers are standing. I saw this in action today.
Great in theory, but terrible in real world situations. Unloading/loading bus? The passengers are going to walk right into you. Rush hour? People are not paying attention and standing in the lane and rarely move for ya + the crosswalk area is busy. I usually choose to either wait behind the bus or go around in the travel lane instead.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

Went through here on a bike this weekend and literally EVERY parked car was in the bike lane.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:07 am
Went through here on a bike this weekend and literally EVERY parked car was in the bike lane.
Yep -- It's a foreign concept to midwest drivers. Not shocked the city just did something without any attempt to educate the public.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

It’s never gonna work unless they do the actual design with the paint, trees, protected barriers, etc.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:51 am It’s never gonna work unless they do the actual design with the paint, trees, protected barriers, etc.
100%

Hope they don't give up on that vision because "we made a small bet here and it failed"