Cities going crazy on first snowstorm

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I used to think it was only the KC media and news outlets that did this but I've been other places for their "first snow" of the year and every city gets all up in arms. Grocery stores sell out of everything, we've got live newspeople "on the street", etc.

It's just crazy. People, most of you have enough food in your house to live for 30 days. Not to mention if we even get 10 INCHES of snow (only predicting like 5" at the most) it will be clear enough for you to make it to work tomorrow.....

quit freaking out.....media quit making these people freak out.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Cities going crazy on first snowstorm

Post by StL_Dan »

KC wrote:I used to think it was only the KC media and news outlets that did this but I've been other places for their "first snow" of the year and every city gets all up in arms. Grocery stores sell out of everything, we've got live newspeople "on the street", etc.

It's just crazy. People, most of you have enough food in your house to live for 30 days. Not to mention if we even get 10 INCHES of snow (only predicting like 5" at the most) it will be clear enough for you to make it to work tomorrow.....

quit freaking out.....media quit making these people freak out.
i was thinking about this today too

we live in the midwest.....it snows at least 2 or 3 times EVERY EFFING YEAR people...and, on the flip side, it gets HOTTER THAN HELL every summer...it amazes me how people B&M about these two phenomena that have occurred every winter and summer of their lives

secondly, i'll bet a dr pepper that 75% of the time these AMS folks call for a snow blitz, it doesn't happen
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I, for one, like the amount of snow we get....still get the season but don't get those northeast snows or those lake effect snows....we get enough to tell you it's snowing and then it's over.

I love the heat baby.....I'd take 100 right now.

dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

LIVE TEAM COVERAGE!!

LIVE SUPER POWER BOOYAH DOPPLER RADAR!!

They need excuses to use the satellite trucks, helicopters, and weather super-computers that they invest in at the expense of real, quality journalism.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

It could be worse. We get live team coverage whenever it sprinkles.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

KC wrote:I, for one, like the amount of snow we get....still get the season but don't get those northeast snows or those lake effect snows....we get enough to tell you it's snowing and then it's over.

I love the heat baby.....I'd take 100 right now.
i'm with you....i love midwest weather

i love it when spring introduces baseball season, summer embraces the pennant race, fall introduces hockey and football, and winter gives us mizzou basketball
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i like the idea of missouri weather: 4 distinct seasons, potentially "white" christmas, etc...

BUT i HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE summer. i hate the heat, especially the gooey, sticky, missouri heat. i know it's worse elsewhere, but still...i hate getting in the car and immediately being soaked in sweat.

i also think i have a particular hatred for the heat because i have delivered mail during the summer on breaks from school. it's f-in brutal. (not to mention the fact i get to trudge around independence...)

i like autumn. i like winter. spring is ok. no summer. never again.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

It's goin' to be a disaster at work tonight (UPS). I bet that 40% of the employees, that go to work at 1am, will call in. That will make my work day an absolute hell because we must deliver regardless of weather. I expect a tough 16 hour work day for us supervisors.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

QueSi2Opie wrote:It's goin' to be a disaster at work tonight (UPS). I bet that 40% of the employees, that go to work at 1am, will call in. That will make my work day an absolute hell because we must deliver regardless of weather. I expect a tough 16 hour work day for us supervisors.
Good luck to you. I love all you "Browns"-always a cheery smile at my door. Take care out there.

My sister is a Postmaster. She worked her way up from carrier over many years. I remember well her "neither rain nor sleet nor snow nor gloom of night" routes.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

Being from Louisiana, a nice cool winter in the 60's is fine with me. summers in the 90's and above is nice. I say throw a few lights on a palm tree and be done with it. :P
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

3 or 4 snows a year? I guess that's sounds about right, but it still sounds ridiculous compared to what i'm used to: uncountable snows in a season.

KC has it easy in the winter, and we pay for it with blistering hot summers.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

you say "pay" I say "rewarded" :)

zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

I'd like to comment on the state of the roads...Driving in to work this morning...(PV to KCMO). Boy those kansas roads sure are nice and clean...then I hit State Line...I might as well put on my ice skates. Actuially had to put the truck into 4WD...

ALSO...to all those drivers out there who freak out at the slightest rain or snow on the road...GET THE F**K OUT OF MY WAY!!! Yes I'm the guy in the big gas-guzzling 4WD on your ass in your rear view mirror. IF your car can't function in this weather, GET OFF THE F**KING ROAD!!!

Movie trivia time...."I may be bald, but at least I'm not chickenshit"
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

KS does do a good job on the roads.....MoDot already got a nice email from me about their incompetence.

StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

QueSi2Opie wrote:It's goin' to be a disaster at work tonight (UPS). I bet that 40% of the employees, that go to work at 1am, will call in. That will make my work day an absolute hell because we must deliver regardless of weather. I expect a tough 16 hour work day for us supervisors.
that's why you pull down the quan, Que
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

zonk wrote:I'd like to comment on the state of the roads...Driving in to work this morning...(PV to KCMO). Boy those kansas roads sure are nice and clean...then I hit State Line...I might as well put on my ice skates. Actuially had to put the truck into 4WD...

ALSO...to all those drivers out there who freak out at the slightest rain or snow on the road...GET THE F**K OUT OF MY WAY!!! Yes I'm the guy in the big gas-guzzling 4WD on your ass in your rear view mirror. IF your car can't function in this weather, GET OFF THE F**KING ROAD!!!

Movie trivia time...."I may be bald, but at least I'm not chickenshit"
i like your attitude, z

working on the movie trivia
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

slapshot, 1977

QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

nota wrote:Good luck to you. I love all you "Browns"-always a cheery smile at my door. Take care out there.

My sister is a Postmaster. She worked her way up from carrier over many years. I remember well her "neither rain nor sleet nor snow nor gloom of night" routes.
Luckily the majority of my people showed up last night, so I was out of there by 10am this morning.

Most of us really do care about our customers and we look forward to seein' you 8) It's not jus' a UPS thing either, I've met some great people that deliver for FedEx and USPS as well.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

KC wrote:slapshot, 1977
GREAT movie...haven't seen it in a while

KC, have you seen Slapshot 2 yet? I have not.
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

KC wrote:slapshot, 1977
NICE...KC you get a star for the day...

Heres another..."the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist"