Restaurants you ate out at as a kid

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Restaurants you ate out at as a kid

Post by Roanoker »

mlind wrote: Also, I remember the Big Chief Root Beer stand in KCK.  My sister was scared of it.  I have a picture but I can't figure out how to insert it here.
Put the picture on a web site that allows you to do so. (KCRag is not one of them, as far as I know.) Copy its address. After you Reply or Quote a post on KCRag, you will see a line of icons between the text icons (Bold, Italics, etc.) and the "face" icons ( :D:), etc.).

Click on the second icon in that middle line. It will say "Insert Image" if you hover your cursor over it for a second. Click on that icon and then paste the address of your image.

Hope this helps. Or, hth.  8)
“Give up money, give up fame, give up science, give the earth itself and all it contains rather than do an immoral act.” —Thomas Jefferson (1785)
ChefColby
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ChefColby »

Too bad no one here loves this town...(yes the ENTIRE metro)...Poor KC.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Chef, you huffin' chili peppers again?
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

I forgot about eating those great tasting deli sandwiches at Kresges downtown on Saturday afternoons with my mom in the early 70's.

I can remember my friend Bobby Sanders trying to get me to memorize K.C. and the Sunshine Band's latest hit because I was walking up to Tiger's on the Avenue from my place at 10th and Prospect to buy the latest Steve Miller and he wanted the new Sunshine Band 45 that had also just came out.

That's the way, uh uh, I like it.
There's nothing wrong with shooting as long as the right people get shot.   Harry Callahan

For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.  Hunter S. Thompson
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Joe Smith wrote: I forgot about eating those great tasting deli sandwiches at Kresges downtown on Saturday afternoons with my mom in the early 70's.
I can clearly remember eating their awesome chili dogs, while staring at the stacked chicken carcass's on ice behind the counter.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

bbqboy wrote: NuWay still exists in Wichita. a style called loose meats. We always went to the one on SW Blvd to the East of 7th street.
I met Ed once at Caper's in my foggy memory.
Saw the Robert Fripp/ Revox tour inside caper's. One of my best memories ever.  http://sleepwalker79.multiply.com/video/item/123
Caper was Ben's dog, BTW.
I have a feeling I'm the oldest guy on the forum. Sportster, come home. :lol:
If it makes you feel any better, I use to shop at Capers Corner too.  Once I complained about the cost of a record to a friend and thought Tiger Records on Independence Avenue had better prices.  The non-famous Asner brother heard me and pointed out I was more than likely to get arrested at Tigers for buying contraban.  My now-ancient album collection is evenly split between records bought at Capers and Tigers.   
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

I can picture that. Ben never moved off his stool. Grumble/growled was the way he talked, but he was a loveable guy in reality.
I think my biggest Facebook community is with folks I worked with in the record store/local music industry. We  have Peaches meetups of all the former employees so far found; I haven't been to one so far since I'm in Oregon.
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

Grew up in PV, so we went to Ranch Mart quite a bit like other folks - Pumpernik's and Taco Via.

Tippin's at Corinth was a big event.

Mama Tio's on Paseo and Torreador in downtown OP for "Mexican."

Pizza was Mr. Gatti's or Pizza Factory(?) around 95th/Nall.  Also soft serve ice cream from the Zarda Dairy here.

Friday's at Ward Parkway and later Chili's at 91st & Metcalf.

Every now and then we'd hit up Joe's Barn or Stephenson's Apple Farm or Stroud's or Mrs. Peter's Chicken in KCK for a special family dinner.

I worked at the PV shops, so ate a lot of meals at Smak's.

For Easter we always got mini cinnamon rolls from TJ Cinnamon's at Ward Parkway.

Geez, it's a wonder I don;t wigh 400 pounds!
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

You guys already named everything!

HiBoy and Mugs Up would be on my list in addition to many already listed.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

bbqboy wrote: I can picture that. Ben never moved off his stool. Grumble/growled was the way he talked, but he was a loveable guy in reality.
I think my biggest Facebook community is with folks I worked with in the record store/local music industry. We  have Peaches meetups of all the former employees so far found; I haven't been to one so far since I'm in Oregon.
Peaches?  75th and Metcalfe?  Ben was 14 years older than Ed.  I remember he always seemed grumpy but a bit feeble even back then. 
Last edited by Highlander on Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

Highlander wrote: Peaches?  75th and Metcalfe?  Ben was 14 years older than Ed.  I remember he always seemed grumpy but a bit feeble even back then.  
I'm a charter employee. You should have seen the grease that came out of the trap from its former life as a King's Food Host. :lol:
cheese & tuna frenchees & the red telephone ordering thing were supreme.
Last edited by bbqboy on Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChefColby
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ChefColby »

All right! I got one for ya! Anyone remember S&J's oyster bar at Ward Parkway? It was on top of the school that's there now.
jj116533
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by jj116533 »

I am probably repeating, but this got me really excited.

1. Cactus Grill
2. Kyoto Japanese Steakhouse (best one I have eaten at ever)
3. Gates
4. On brithdays - The Capitol Grille
5. Cheesecake Factory
6. P.F. Changs

That list looks really pretentious, but when my family decided to eat out, we usually went here.
Student at NYU studying Metropolitan Studies and Economic Theory.  Real Estate connoisseur.
http://twitter.com/#!/grecobs
moosnsqrl
New York Life
New York Life

Post by moosnsqrl »

ChefColby wrote: All right! I got one for ya! Anyone remember S&J's oyster bar at Ward Parkway? It was on top of the school that's there now.
You bet - we met regularly there to shuck and jive - even when I still commuted to Lawrence we rarely missed a Wednesday (is that right? was dime-a-time on Wednesday?). I loved that they gave you a shot as a base for the make-your-own sauce. And didn't look at us funny for wanting limes instead of lemons (we were 'schooled' on oysters in FL, what can I say?).
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

GRID wrote: You guys already named everything!

HiBoy and Mugs Up would be on my list in addition to many already listed.
Mugs the eff Up! Hell yes! Man, I could use a whiz burger.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
MidtownGrrl
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by MidtownGrrl »

chrizow wrote: pizza hut, near 63rd and raytown road - i still have a huge feeling of nostalgia if i see those red plastic drink cups anywhere.  i recall redeeming my BOOK IT! points there for free personal pizzas.
Pizza Hut still has the BOOK IT program, and my daughter is earning her certificates. But I'm sad that all the PH's are drive-through/carry-out now.

I grew up in St. Louis, but I think a lot of the dining experiences are similar, if I can share. Our family allowed each kid to choose where to eat out on our birthdays.  The Old Spaghetti Factory in downtown, the local McDonalds, and the local Pizza Hut were popular. We also did occasional visits to the Shoney's breakfast buffet for non-birthday occasions.

So far the highlight of my daughter's KC dining experience seems to be Cici's Pizza.  :( Really, we take her to decent places.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

Isn't there a dine-in Pizza Hut still on Shawnee Mission Parkway between Quivira and Neiman?
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

[img]http://C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\mlind\My%20Documents\My%20Pictures\My%20Scans[/img]
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

mlind wrote: [img]http://C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\mlind\My%20Documents\My%20Pictures\My%20Scans[/img]
I tried to post the picture of Big Chief, but I can't seem to do it correctly.

I did send the picture to oldkc.com and that will give me a user id & password.  I'll post it here.
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

Here is the info to see the photos at www.oldkc.com  It's active for a month, starting today.

oldkc2
moonroof

I don't know what will happen if everyone here logs in at once.  So maybe the days & times can be staggered. 

Thanks.