Restaurants you ate out at as a kid

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Re: Restaurants you ate out at as a kid

Post by shinatoo »

Wife reminded me of LnM in Raytown, my dad worked there in the 60's when it was Zip's. I inhaled cubic tons of second had smoke riding the free mechanical horse at Fun House in Raytown.

All through the 2010's it took my kids to Neighbors in Lee's Summit, before it closed.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

WSPanic wrote: What about The Rusty Pelican? Wasn't it right there too?
Costello's was at 85th and Ward Parkway and the building has been replaced by a strip mall.  Rusty Pelikan was at about 83rd or so, near the civil war era house that still stands.  Isn't the old Rusty Pelikan building still standing and has been incorporated into the Burns and McDonald (or is it Black and Veatch?) offices as a conference area?  It ate there a couple of times and thought it was pretty good. 
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Sad they tore Costello's down. I remember it being kind of the modernist concrete structure with ferns everywhere.
carfreekc
New York Life
New York Life

Post by carfreekc »

Love this thread.
chrizow wrote: when i was a kid i would eat pizza, hamburgers (ketchup and pickle only), bologna sandwiches, and junk food.  that's about it.
I ate my hamburgers plain with just salt, and ham sandwiches instead of bologna, but otherwise I was exactly the same as a kid. Probably limited my family's choice of restaurants to some degree. I wasn't happy when we went to Jennie's once when I was little.
Joe Smith wrote:
Mr. Steak on Burlington in Northtown. About once a week my mom would take me there on payday. She always got a steak. I always got a cheeseburger and fries. I think it was where that huge drive-thru car wash is now on the west side of Burlington. We also went to Sambo's every once in awhile in Northtown.

In-a-Tub on N.Oak - Went there a lot in high school when it was next to Cascone's.

Kelso's Pizza on Vivion Rd. Good pizza. Fun place for kids. Later, I worked there as a delivery driver.
I forgot about Sambo's. Didn't they have kids' menus printed on the back of paper masks? I remember Mr. Steak too but don't remember going there a lot. I barely remember going to Gold Buffet in Northtown once.

I grew up in Gladstone, and our Sunday after-church mainstays were Perkins on N. Oak and Shoney's on Antioch Rd (where the Lawson Bank is now). There used to be an eat-in Pizza Hut in the strip mall where Antioch Theater used to be, and we went to Kelso's on Vivion a lot, which I loved. My family loved Leo's Pizza, but I hated it (complained about the cheese sticking to the roof of my mouth), so they would usually get that as take out. 

Northlanders, help me out - there used to be a pizza place on Antioch Rd next to the McDonald's, where the QT is now, but I can't remember the name of it. It wasn't Pizza Factory, was it? Something with "John" in it? That was a long time ago. They had those square suckers that I loved too.

There's still an eat-in Pizza Hut on Armour Road in Northtown just off I-35.
kipdynamite
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by kipdynamite »

Wyatts Cafateria was pretty awesome too. Sirloin Stockade was good.
Chatting with babes online all day!
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

You're thinking of John Lloyd's Pizza Factory.

Him and his wife Sherry owned 3 of them and when they got divorced he got that one, Sherry got the one in Holiday Hills shopping center on Parvin Rd. and they sold the third one.

I worked for Sherry for awhile over on Parvin Rd. back in '84-'85.
There's nothing wrong with shooting as long as the right people get shot.   Harry Callahan

For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.  Hunter S. Thompson
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

While trying to figure out the name of a restaurant from my youth, I found this nostalgic bit about one time KC restaurants in the Pitch.  The Prospect in Wesport is mentioned.  Forgot that one, it was once a favorite of mine. 

http://blogs.pitch.com/fatcity/2010/02/ ... s_cont.php
moosnsqrl
New York Life
New York Life

Post by moosnsqrl »

bbqboy wrote: If you have the CH thread saved, you should post it, as it has LuJane's musings about Larry "Fats" Goldberg. I was so pissed when they deleted that after 10 years.
I don't have it saved but this conversation gave me a sense of deja vu so I searched and found this:
I used to go to King Joy Lo also. My parents took me there often in the mid '50s. Second floor looking out on 12th & main through huge windows. I was only a tot, but it sticks in my memory .
I always had beef & tomato noodles and I've searched for ever to find a similar dish. Found it in Williams, Ca. at the tiny chinese cafe there but decided it was my childhood that made the dish outstanding. As a sidelight, my parents took me to ride the streetcar the last night they ran in 1957,. we got on by Union Station and rode to the Plaza and back with the motorman letting me sit on his lap and "drive" the train. still stupendous.

By billy52 on Apr 28, 2003 01:03AM
Sometimes I think things are running through my head on an infinite loop - I was relieved that, at least in this case, I really HAD read it before.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

That's me, but you are better than I am at old posts, it seems.
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

I remember going to a cafeteria with my great aunt.  I don't remember the location except that it was in KCMO.  For some reason I remember the building being round and maybe having circus in it's name or as a theme.

Anyone?

And, I have seen lots of mentions of the Green Parrot Inn on other sites.  We never went there.
http://www.vintagekansascity.com/food-a ... arrot.html
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

that's the carousel at about 62nd and troost.

Last edited by bbqboy on Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
carfreekc
New York Life
New York Life

Post by carfreekc »

Joe Smith wrote: You're thinking of John Lloyd's Pizza Factory.

Him and his wife Sherry owned 3 of them and when they got divorced he got that one, Sherry got the one in Holiday Hills shopping center on Parvin Rd. and they sold the third one.

I worked for Sherry for awhile over on Parvin Rd. back in '84-'85.
Yes! Thank you! That was driving me nuts trying to come up with the name. I didn't know about the others.
Thaine
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Thaine »

Great topic:

Zeppi's in Waldo.  Same recipes and decor as Funhouse today. 

Pileggi's in Waldo.  We went there as a family for special-ish occasions until my dad saw a bunch or guys heading to the basement with briefcases chained to their arms.

Patrikio's- it was on Paseo then and one of the few places to get Mexican food in town.

The Wishbone- about where the Mariott is now.

The Tiki Room at the hotel just to the south of the Wishbone.

Putsches 210- prior to Fedora's.  Very fancy.

Sam Wilson's meat market- thinking they were a GR chain.

Costello's- he was a bookie but the end of his restaurant was when some disgruntled employee crapped in the Ranch and made everybody sick.  They never recovered.

The Brewery- where the Mexican place in Brookside is.

The Monastery- in the old DX station in Brookside.

Molly something at the Landing.  Another GR place I think.  Maybe was also the Leather Bottle in another incarnation.

Allen's Drive Inn at 90ish and State Line.

The Log Cabin in Hickman Mills- cheapest comfort food in town by a long shot.

Jimmy and Mary's steak house on Main next to Davey's Uptown Ramblers Club.

Don's World of Beef at the Landing (and a few other spots).

My dad used to hang at Poor Richard's bar in Brookside and for a few years Tasso had a Gyro machine in there and he made sandwiches.  That was pretty exotic.  That was where the Brooksider is now.

Thanks for the post.
moosnsqrl
New York Life
New York Life

Post by moosnsqrl »

Just realizing what's missing from this thread . . . The River Quay?  Maybe that era just landed between the youngsters and oldsters on here? Or the memories were all blown away with the buildings? I have a bunch of [older 8)] friends who worked in various places down there (notably Victoria Station) and never tire of hearing their old war stories.

And, speaking of old restaurant war stories, we need to get Lazar on here.
slimwhitman
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by slimwhitman »

Thaine wrote: Great topic:

Molly something at the Landing.  Another GR place I think.  Maybe was also the Leather Bottle in another incarnation.

Thanks for the post.
I love hearing about the glory days of The Landing.  There has got to be a old Landing thread somewhere (if not, please start one!).
Last edited by slimwhitman on Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Thaine wrote: Great topic:

Patrikio's- it was on Paseo then and one of the few places to get Mexican food in town.

The Monastery- in the old DX station in Brookside.

Allen's Drive Inn at 90ish and State Line.

Isn't Patrikio's at 99th and Holmes (or was until relatively recently?)?  We ate there a lot.  I was devastated when the Monastery closed.  It was a really cool place but perhaps a bit before its time as wine bars are a dime a dozen nowadays.

And wasn't there a Don's World of Beef in downtown in the building just north of where City Center Square is now?  I think it had a kiosk-like entrance at the surface and the restaurant was downstairs. My memory is pretty blurry about that place. 

Are you talking about Costello's Greenhouse?  If so, that's not the story I am familiar with. 
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

moosnsqrl wrote: Just realizing what's missing from this thread . . . The River Quay?  Maybe that era just landed between the youngsters and oldsters on here? Or the memories were all blown away with the buildings? I have a bunch of [older 8)] friends who worked in various places down there (notably Victoria Station) and never tire of hearing their old war stories.

And, speaking of old restaurant war stories, we need to get Lazar on here.
The heading is places you ate as a kid. 

As I was sneaking into bars in the Quay, and then finally legally enjoying the mayhem, I didn't look at it as one of my "kid" experiences.

But, since you ask....  My first meal memory in the hood is enjoying the river burger at Ebenezers on Delaware(monster burger with house made sauerkraut and length sliced dill, in a bar that felt like 1880).  Dinkledorf's delicatessin, Papa Nicks, Harlows, Judge Roy Beans, the Three Little Pigs, , Poor Freddys, the Boiler Room....Never went to the Old Chelsea, for their legendary "box lunch".  What am I forgetting?
moosnsqrl
New York Life
New York Life

Post by moosnsqrl »

loftguy wrote: The heading is places you ate as a kid. 
Not sure what this reveals about me . . . fundamental illiteracy or fast-living in my youth. Or both. :roll:
Angel
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Angel »

Wow, this thread brings back a lot of memories.

Italian Gardens - downtown.  This was our go-to place for special occasions like birthdays.

Swensen's Ice Cream on the Plaza and Metcalf South Mall.  At least, I think it was called Swensen's.  :?  I just remember going as a kid and they put crispy cookies on top of your sundae.

The Great Impasta (95th & Antioch).  I think we went here about once a week for 20 years.  It wasn't fancy, but the nostalgia kept us going back until the owner died and they closed up shop about 10 years ago.

A&W on Santa Fe in Olathe.  I remember they used to have a giant, round fireplace in the middle that you could sit around.     
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

moosnsqrl wrote: Not sure what this reveals about me . . . fundamental illiteracy or fast-living in my youth. Or both. :roll:
I think we may also need "soda joints you hung out at as a teen" or "places you took your prom date."
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag