Plaza Lighting, Missed Opportunity

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Kevin Collison argues in the Star that the Plaza lighting ceremony is a missed opportunity. 250,000 people in one location, and nothing organized beyond the lighting itself. No festival, no family activities, one lonely entertainment stage, few open stores, etc. This is easily the single biggest gathering of people in Kansas City, yet we don't do enough to capitalize on it.
Now, about the Plaza lighting. Is it the biggest nonevent event in Kansas City or what?

Last week, for the second year since arriving here, I went down with my family along with tens of thousands of other folks to join in this local tradition. They swarm, the lights go on and they start leaving almost immediately. Except for a single entertainment stage blocks away from the bulk of the crowd, there is nothing else going on.

This city and the Plaza stores are missing what should be a golden opportunity for a terrific festival that would give visitors and businesses much to celebrate. All but a handful of merchants remain closed when they have people teeming outside ready to spend money.

Believe me, I cringe like most when the Christmas merchandising machine follows on the heels of Halloween, but come on, this is an event being held at the world's first outdoor shopping center. Let people shop, watch the lights go on and then get back to shopping. Most of the crowd looked like a lot of middle-class families with disposable income.

This is not a Mardi Gras scene of drunken rowdies.

Which brings me to the family nature of the event. Why not build on it? Put up some big tents with lots of children's activities, add more stages for entertainment, throw a holiday parade with local high school bands, a sort of Midwestern version of the Macy's. Believe me, there's much fun to be had here.

Let's have a few light bulbs go off on some new ideas next year along with the same old 288,000.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I like these outsiders coming in with new ideas.....great point.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

I hate how early many stores in the Plaza close. Many close at 6:00 or earlier. How can anyone make money staying open only just long enough for people to find you locking up by the time they can get to you after work?
Downtowner
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Downtowner »

Collison is right. How do you have this huge crowd and nothing for them after the lights come on? I've been going for years and it is a letdown. The stores should be open, more activities in the street. Even the music is lousy..."Yankee Doodle Dandy" before the lights come on? They could use some street vendors, band, ANYTHING after the lights come on. Maybe the merchants and Highwoods can get their act together and really make this a better event.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Emails to Highwoods are read....I've gotten some pretty high level replies.

Collison should forward his column to them.....emails from consumers also help.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Could be something like a miniature Spirit Fest for the evening. Scatter some local jazz and blues artists around on different stages, symphony pops, etc. Then some local food vendors like Gates, Strouds, etc. setup around the area. Require stores to be open that night as part of their lease terms, especially the larger stores or chain outlets that have more employees available.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

good ideas. have only local folks have booths, and local talent performing. Make it a KC home-pride event. Let's show the visitors WHY Kansas City is so cool!
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
TheDude
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by TheDude »

what's his problem w/ mardi gras and a drunken rowdies? the only good thing about plaza lighting is the BOOZE and Kate Spade merchandise. other than that, the restaurants all suck (Cheesecake Factory = puke, Cal Pizza Kitchen = nasty, GranFalloon = good booze, bad "suburban" food, Houstons = ok, but 2 hr wait, give me a break, Pizzeria Uno = below average suburban white bread crap, Classic Cup, Plaza 3, Kona Grill, Capital Grill = Very Good (ok, so there are a few good restaurants).

off to NYC for some real food and lights--wonder what the Fab 5 is doing 'bout now??

out
"ALWAYS be closing"