Metro North Mall

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Metro North Mall

Post by trailerkid »

Well, I mean IC does not have much competition except for the Northland. If Bass Pro goes to Independence...it will go completely bananas (i.e. Ikea, HUGE traffic problems, another village or mall near IC with stores that cannot fit in IC) Once Zona Rosa goes up, I-29 and Barry could get moving even more with more restaurants and big box.

Oak Park is already built out and in an established area. Everything south of 435 in Jo Co is a hellish mess with no concentration or density of retail. West Wy Co is not really in competition because it is not a traditional shopping area.

Right now, I just don't think the Northland is ready for Nordstrom. I mean they are just about to have their first, real, functioning shopping mall in a long time. Once Shoal Creek is built out...things will most definitely change. That village center of Shoal Creek could actually be something similar in size and scope to Zona Rosa.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Metro North Mall

Post by GRID »

I agree trailer.

BTW, another large retail center is planned for the NE corner of Barry & I-29. Actually NE corner of 152 and I-29.
RicKC
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Metro North Mall

Post by RicKC »

I just hope the north end of town does not overbuild to quick.
Total concentration of attention away from yourself is the greatest source of acting.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Metro North Mall

Post by nota »

GRID wrote:Considering that there is still a ton of people from the Missouri side that shop in Kansas. Everytime I am at Oak Park or Town Center, I swear 40% of the cars have Missouri tags, but at major shopping centers in Missouri, you would be hard pressed to find a JoCo car (I trully don't think they think there is anything outside of JoCo). There is plenty of room for more upscale retail on the Missouri side.
Interesting. We all talk about how many Kansas plates we see up here in the Northland :lol:
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Metro North Mall

Post by dangerboy »

Maybe we need a forum exclusively for Metro North Mall... There are already several threads, and people keep starting new ones almost monthly. The bottom line in every discussion seems to be that Metro North is an excellent location and has the potential to be major regional shopping center, but suffers from really bad management and a disinterested owner.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Metro North Mall

Post by QueSi2Opie »

nota wrote:Interesting. We all talk about how many Kansas plates we see up here in the Northland :lol:
That's me! I love Parkville. :)
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Metro North Mall

Post by trailerkid »

I support a forum of Metro North...can you work on that KC?
KCforumer

Metro North Mall

Post by KCforumer »

With Zona Rosa down the road, does Metro North even have a chance? There are several stores opening in Zona Rosa that are currently in Metro North Mall. I'm assuming the Metro North locations are moving rather than entirely new locations being added.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Metro North Mall

Post by trailerkid »

I would imagine Dick's will keep both stores as the one by Metro North is only a few years old. I think there is enough rooftops out there and in development for most companies to have two stores.

Zona is not that big and is far enough away for a retail center to survive at the Metro North site. But if Shoal Creek's Commons retail center takes off, then Metro North could be completely done for as Northlanders would choose West (Zona) or East (Commons).
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Metro North Mall

Post by QueSi2Opie »

Two Barnes & Nobles right across the interstate from one another? I assume they'll close the one next to the AMC.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
UMKCgal
Strip mall
Strip mall

Metro North Mall

Post by UMKCgal »

With all this talk about Nordstrom who should open another store at IC or up north and such, I'd rather see a Lord & Taylor, Robinson's & May, Macy's, Bloomingdales, or Neiman-Marcus, Von Maur...jus sumthing else besides Nordstrom, we need diversity in retail too. Some of those department stores are a lil more affordable for me than Nordstrom.

Von Maur is almost like Nordstrom but I think the Wichita one is better looking than the Nordstrom here. Its not as big in square footage but its flashier and classy looking, and besides, its not really that big of a chain, theres only a few select stores nationwide. It wouldn't hurt to have one here.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Metro North Mall

Post by trailerkid »

Von Maur will come here sooner or later. They were linked to the failed Walk at Highpointe and will probably be involved in the Cormac mall on the same site, Cornerstone or Zona Rosa. Von Maur could probably build 3+ stores here.

No chance in hell of Bloomingdale's unless the Plaza comes up with something HUGE. Macy's is just a big name...not much else. Macy's and Bloomingdale's are both Federated owned.

Robinson's & May is owned by Famous Barr which owns Jones Store. As far as I know all their stores are near identical. Famous Barr also owns Lord &Taylor, who just closed a ton of stores. They are supposed to be changing their format to all out competition with Nordstrom. Until they reorganize their stores, they probably won't expand to KC.

Department stores have been in peril for years as things have shifted to discount department stores or high-end.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Metro North Mall

Post by nota »

>>Robinson's & May is owned by Famous Barr which owns Jones Store. As far as I know all their stores are near identical. Famous Barr also owns Lord &Taylor, who just closed a ton of stores. They are supposed to be changing their format to all out competition with Nordstrom. Until they reorganize their stores, they probably won't expand to KC. <<

The May Company owns Famous, Jones, LS Ayres, Lord and Taylor and who knows how many others. Famous Barr is just another of their names just like Jones.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Metro North Mall

Post by trailerkid »

Yeah...I know the whole May Co. thing, but since it is all based in StL, I just think about it as Famous Barr being the main name.
GuyInLenexa
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Metro North Mall

Post by GuyInLenexa »

I doubt if Metro North will get any commitment from a major anchor unless there are plans to do a complete face lift.
Von Maur would do well in KC, they are one of the only family chains left and they seem to be wanting to expand in the Midwest. Younkers (owned by Saks) is also wanting to expand.
Neiman-Marcus is only building one store in 2004 in San Antonio TX. They seem to be concentrating expansion in their existing markets right now.
Department stores are hurting a lot. I would like to see some diversity, but not many stores exist except for Dillards and The May Co. stores.
Malls still can thrive, they still attract new anchors, Metro North should not be in the condition it is in. Most malls do major renovation about every seven years.
I hope they get new property management who would update the shopping center.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Metro North Mall

Post by nota »

trailerkid wrote:Yeah...I know the whole May Co. thing, but since it is all based in StL, I just think about it as Famous Barr being the main name.
I'll bet the other companies belonging to May wouldn't be proud of that.
kcmajik
Strip mall
Strip mall

Metro North Mall

Post by kcmajik »

isn't it the westfield company that did the facelist to the west county centre in des peres? that's a very nice mall and was much about 2 years ago. they have a nordstrom, galyans and many other top notch retailers right now- but didn't have hardly anything 2 years ago. i think westfield is the same company that owns the crossroads mall in omaha?

May Company also owns the famous Texas Foli's chain.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Metro North Mall

Post by trailerkid »

Westfield owns almost every mall in StL and the West County renovations/rebuild shut the entire site down for quite a time, but I agree that it is probably one of the better indoor malls in the Midwest now.

Simon(same owner/manager as Independence Center and West Ridge in Topeka) owns Crossroads Mall in Omaha which was built in the 50s or 60s. Simon has renovated it numerous times and added stuff like Old Navy and Barnes & Noble when it showed signs of going downhill. It is close to Nebraska Furniture Mart, but is also in the inner suburban ring and would've been completely empty had Simon not invested time and money into it. I would be willing to bet that Simon has looked at managing or owning other properties in the metro like Metro North, Bannister or Metcalf South...too bad it hasn't worked out.
WILDCAT NATION
Strip mall
Strip mall

Metro North Mall

Post by WILDCAT NATION »

All those KS tags in the Metro North lots are from Doniphan, Atchison, Brown, Nemaha Counties, etc...just to name a few on the KS side.

There is NO REASON to go to East Hills Mall in St. Joe...especially if you can get other stuff you want in KC.

They have a JCPenney, Dillards and Sears as anchor stores...Other than that...they are slowly losing more and more tenants...There is a Monty Wards that has been empty for ever...

There are so many empty buildings on the Belt Hwy, it is actually funny. I've heard that unless it is original, or Olive Garden, these people don't want it...

Boston Market didn't have a prayer in this town, and neither did some donut chain. DONE, within a year...
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Metro North Mall

Post by KCN »

There seems to be an increase in St. Joe people getting work in the growing Northland as well as shopping and dining here.....I wonder if this could have any effect on the two MSA's merging some time in the future. I doubt it.

I'm just thinking out loud.