port fonda

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
justhoward
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

port fonda

Post by justhoward »

Two things that make a great food city are diversity in the cuisines represented and the ability to get really good food at a wide range of price points, settings, and hours.  KC has a lot of exciting things going for it as a food city, but those two areas can definitely stand some improvement.  My friend Patrick Ryan is going to take us a big step in that direction in 2011 by opening a food truck serving vibrant contemporary takes on regional Mexican street food.  Port Fonda will operate out of a revamped Airstream trailer, and believe me the food is going to be beautiful and delicious!

Patrick is one of the best cooks I've ever worked with and he does Mexican food like I've never seen it.  Stay tuned, lots more to come...
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: port fonda

Post by ComandanteCero »

sounds cool.  Do you know where he'll be setting up?
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Port Fonda was one of the names proposed for early Kansas City.

http://kchistory.org/cdm4/item_viewer.p ... OX=1&REC=1
There is no fifth destination.
port fonda
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by port fonda »

we'll mostly be setting up in the crossroads but will be available for private parties all over kc.   
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

sounds excellent! i hope your friend sets up a facebook account so that we can know where to find him every day!
port fonda
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by port fonda »

we have fb and twitter accounts set-up already to document the opening and build-out processes. Once the trailer is mobile, we will constantly send out information about menu specials and locations.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

AWESOME.

Keep us updated, Port Fonda.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

@portfondakc
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
moosnsqrl
New York Life
New York Life

Post by moosnsqrl »

This is great news and I know Patrick will do it right.  Now we just need about a dozen more mobile, ethnic eateries (and an ocean:)
port fonda
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by port fonda »

we have a pretty talented group of people putting this thing together.  not limited to lindsay laricks (fresher than fresh snowcones) who is working on our identity package and peter warren (local artist) who will be doing some cool design work to the trailer.  peter is a longtime friend of mine that moved here a few years ago from brooklyn and he recently built the tables that are in the private dining room of the rieger. 
moosnsqrl
New York Life
New York Life

Post by moosnsqrl »

port fonda wrote: we have a pretty talented group of people putting this thing together.  not limited to lindsay laricks (fresher than fresh snowcones) who is working on our identity package and peter warren (local artist) who will be doing some cool design work to the trailer.  peter is a longtime friend of mine that moved here a few years ago from brooklyn and he recently built the tables that are in the private dining room of the rieger. 
Now, if only you had someone who can cook 8) Is it too early to give us a rough idea of what you might serve?
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

moosnsqrl wrote:Is it too early to give us a rough idea of what you might serve?
Here's hoping for that grilled corn on the cob with chile and mayo...
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

moosnsqrl wrote: This is great news and I know Patrick will do it right.  Now we just need about a dozen more mobile, ethnic eateries (and an ocean:)
no, we don't. i'm 100% for the success of Port Fonda, but let Austin and Portland be Austin and Portland. God blessed this city with unabashed Midwesternism. let it be.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

trailerkid wrote: no, we don't. i'm 100% for the success of Port Fonda, but let Austin and Portland be Austin and Portland. God blessed this city with unabashed Midwesternism. let it be.
There's about 400 in Portland; a dozen would't hurt.
There is certainly no lack of parking  lots available.
moosnsqrl
New York Life
New York Life

Post by moosnsqrl »

bbqboy wrote: There's about 400 in Portland; a dozen would't hurt.
There is certainly no lack of parking  lots available.
Yes, I was hoping for some geographic coverage, not overkill.  And when did Austin and/or Portland get an ocean?
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

moosnsqrl wrote: Yes, I was hoping for some geographic coverage, not overkill.  And when did Austin and/or Portland get an ocean?
i'm not talking about an ocean. i'm talking about being a wannabe.
jchgh2
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by jchgh2 »

mean wrote: Here's hoping for that grilled corn on the cob with chile and mayo...
I'd be all for a little variety and availability...and an ocean
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

trailerkid wrote:i'm not talking about an ocean. i'm talking about being a wannabe.
Having a nice selection of street food vendors isn't exactly a stupid hipster trend present primarily in stupid hipster cities.

Having a nice selection of stupid hipster street food vendors is, though.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

mean wrote: Having a nice selection of street food vendors isn't exactly a stupid hipster trend present primarily in stupid hipster cities.

Having a nice selection of stupid hipster street food vendors is, though.
Our current weather is especially accommodating. I can' think of anything I'd rather do than eat a taco or gyro while my clothes are being blown off my body by freezing gusts of wind.

I am not against street food nor stupid hipster cities. We have a few different street food vendors and no one seems to really care for the most part. I'm guessing Port Fonda is going to make the masses here get more interested.