Generic ongoing KCATA thread

Transportation topics in KC
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Generic ongoing KCATA thread

Post by DaveKCMO »

langosta wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:33 am
DaveKCMO wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:18 am Kimley Horn was selected to do the KCATA/MARC airport transit study.
KCATA/MARC has a study and KCMO is looking for proposals expressions of interest
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

DaveKCMO wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:53 pm
DaveKCMO wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:18 am Kimley Horn was selected to do the KCATA/MARC airport transit study.
KCATA/MARC has a study and KCMO is looking for proposals expressions of interest
Feelings, nothing more than feelings.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

grovester wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:59 pm

We govern purely on V I B E S in this city.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

alejandro46 wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:37 pm
grovester wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:59 pm
We govern purely on V I B E S in this city.
woke politics lol
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Like the repub leg in Jeff City legislates on anything but vibes? Hardly a 'woke phenomonen.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

KCATA dissolves their Ride KC Development arm.

Shame, thought this was a unique idea and way to push forward TOD developments
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Cratedigger wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:21 am KCATA dissolves their Ride KC Development arm.

Shame, thought this was a unique idea and way to push forward TOD developments
Except the nonprofit had no statutory authority of its own (all of that resides with KCATA, for both KS and MO), and one of its three employees is now the KCATA CEO.
“(The KCATA) desires to move the transit economic development function within the KCATA organization,” according the resolution.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

So the development function still exists, just inside KCATA instead of a separate division?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

FangKC wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:41 am So the development function still exists, just inside KCATA instead of a separate division?
Yes.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:58 pm
FangKC wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:41 am So the development function still exists, just inside KCATA instead of a separate division?
Yes.
Could this potentially be more beneficial to the productivity they have in mind?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

It's all the same people, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The first week of July, KCATA will post notice in all Gladstone bus stops that the bus service in Gladstone will be discontinued in 60 days-approximately by Sep 1. Buses will continue to flow through, but pick-up and drop-off locations will be at stops outside city limits.
https://twitter.com/gladstonemo/status/ ... 9581221888
SilentSpades24
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SilentSpades24 »

FangKC wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 4:05 pm
The first week of July, KCATA will post notice in all Gladstone bus stops that the bus service in Gladstone will be discontinued in 60 days-approximately by Sep 1. Buses will continue to flow through, but pick-up and drop-off locations will be at stops outside city limits.
https://twitter.com/gladstonemo/status/ ... 9581221888
Well, that's not exactly a precedent we want to be setting, now is it? Wild to say the least, especially since the buses will still go through Gladstone....

Are we just going to be forever stuck in this fragmented piecemealed transit mess, where each individual city has a specific contract that can end at any time and result in messes like this?

Though, it's just another reminder that car centric sprawl is still priority in most places (ironic isn't it?)
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

That's an astronomical increase if true. We need a robust regional fund yesterday, but the KCATA should have a better strategy than increasing fees in one year by nearly 400%.

The metro is currently an auto-supremacy. Even if you're a strong transit supporting politician, it's hard to stay in office if you have to take away a majority of road funding for infrequent buses. People are going to be pissed.

Gladstone (and every other city in the metro) is ulitimately to blame for decades of bad budget priorities. That said, KCATA should have worked to gradually increase costs so that they're more politically digestable.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Gladstone was getting a free ride, literally -- they weren't paying for KCMO-funded routes (like 201 North Oak) passing through and my guess is that KCMO finally said "no more". I am very familiar with this contract.

This is actually how it used to work years ago for enclave communities, way before my time there.

Need any more proof that regional funding will solve a bunch of issues like this one?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Need Iris to the airport reviews. I have a trip coming up soon I plan on trying it out. $10 to the airport is a steal. Is there a chance you are sharing a ride with others with Iris?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 12:50 pm Need Iris to the airport reviews. I have a trip coming up soon I plan on trying it out. $10 to the airport is a steal. Is there a chance you are sharing a ride with others with Iris?
Same team as zTrip, so that’s what you can expect.
SilentSpades24
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SilentSpades24 »

DaveKCMO wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:42 am Gladstone was getting a free ride, literally -- they weren't paying for KCMO-funded routes (like 201 North Oak) passing through and my guess is that KCMO finally said "no more". I am very familiar with this contract.

This is actually how it used to work years ago for enclave communities, way before my time there.

Need any more proof that regional funding will solve a bunch of issues like this one?
You'd think either side could figure out a way to gradually increase the funding from Gladstone (or try to) rather than drop a huge increase.

I certainly understand KCMO's POV on not wanting to fund Gladstone service themselves, and I think Gladstone made a terrible mistake in walking away in favor of roads, but man, this is almost the worst way to go about it.
Noahfleshman
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Noahfleshman »

Watch Gladstone build a streetcar on north oak
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

Noahfleshman wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:45 am Watch Gladstone build a streetcar on north oak
They really might be interested by 2030 lol the city starts demolishing all the strip malls with true mixed use developments and the Riverview Greenway develops into ultra high end housing for people willing to pay for the view to the south. raggers and urbanists alike would be ecstatic!