Front Street to become "sustainable roadway"

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Front Street to become "sustainable roadway"

Post by KCMax »

Isn't that kind of an oxymoron though?

Groundbreaking was this week.

http://www.nbcactionnews.com/dpp/news/l ... ansas-city

http://kansascity.bizjournals.com/kansa ... ision.html
The $5 million project will connect the single-point urban interchange and Bond Bridge to the River Market neighborhood via the Grand Street Viaduct and the Columbus Park neighborhood at Lydia Street. An unexpected windfall of stimulus money in the region helped make the project possible.

Port Chairman Trey Runnion said the new road will help boost efforts to pay for a multi-use redevelopment of the riverfront area.

?The Port Authority will be working diligently to attract the interest of national developers over the coming months to bring a signature development to the riverfront,? Runnion said.

The Front Street extension will include a bicycle/pedestrian lane, LED streetlights and storm-water drains compatible with future development plans.
I thought we had a thread on this but I couldn't find it so feel free to merge with other topics.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
shinatoo
Ambassador

Re: Front Street to become "sustainable roadway"

Post by shinatoo »

It's is still beyond my as to why we want to make that nasty drainage ditch of a river a focal point of anything. It's the back alley of KC and should be treated that way.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

shinatoo wrote: It's is still beyond my as to why we want to make that nasty drainage ditch of a river a focal point of anything. It's the back alley of KC and should be treated that way.
Woah woah woah there. I happen to enjoy the river, as do thousands of my neighbors and thousands of communities up and down river. The river has a bad rap for no good reason.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

staubio wrote: Woah woah woah there. I happen to enjoy the river, as do thousands of my neighbors and thousands of communities up and down river. The river has a bad rap for no good reason.
Don't want to go all McLaughlin Group on you but...Wrong, any development along the riverfront is a failure.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

shinatoo wrote: Don't want to go all McLaughlin Group on you but...Wrong, any development along the riverfront is a failure.
Lol. How can you argue with that?

:shock:
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Certainly not with logic or reason. Therefore, instead I will simply say, nah-nah-nah shinatoo, stick your head in doodoo.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

mean wrote: Certainly not with logic or reason. Therefore, instead I will simply say, nah-nah-nah shinatoo, stick your head in doodoo.

=D>
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

I'm rubber, you're glue. Whatever you say bounces off me, and sticks to you.

Infinity.
enough
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by enough »

meanwhile, widening of front street east of i-35 is nowhere on the horizon, according to modot's assistant district engineer.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

It seems to me that past lack of river front desireability has more to do with the dominant industrial/RR use of the land as opposed to the aesthetics of the actual river itself. 
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Go up to Parkville and see how people use their riverfront park. I always see people walking in it.
There is no fifth destination.