KC Wizards New Stadium

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

KC Wizards New Stadium

Post by KCMax »

I think this merits its own thread now that its a done deal with the stadium starting to be built.

Here is the latest rendering of the project.

They had a steel signing ceremony this weekend.

More pics here:

http://www.hillcrestroadblog.com/2010/0 ... -pics.html
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: KC Wizards New Stadium

Post by kcmetro »

Whoever started that blog was a little premature with the name.  It should be called State Avenue or something to reflect the new location.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

Or rename France Family Drive as Hillcrest Road, even just for the part that touches the stadium.
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

dang that was quick. i'm surprised they're moving so quickly.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

Or should we move it to the new stadium topic, since this is now (or, at lest, will be), in fact, a new stadium?
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

phxcat wrote: Or should we move it to the new stadium topic, since this is now (or, at lest, will be), in fact, a new stadium?
That whole room got axed because the TSC lovers got sick of hearing about what a mistake the K reno was. 
szazzy
Pad site
Pad site

Post by szazzy »

Webcam for the stadium progress is here

http://webcams.insightkc.com/kcwizards/

or you can see the "unofficial" version here, with better resolution and refresh rate.

http://38.100.180.78/

They've been out there every day that the weather has cooperated including weekends outside of Easter Sunday.

Also the KC Buisness Journal is reporting that the stadium will cost 1.21 million less annually than projected due to the Unified Govt getting better interest rates on the STAR bonds.

http://kansascity.bizjournals.com/kansa ... ily26.html
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Some comments taken from a Wizards forum on an interview with Coach Peter Vermes
Take some of your very cozy English style, European style fields that are very tight on the field. Where you see most of the fields setup right now in MLS, even with the newer stadia, where the benches are on the sideline, ours will be right in with the fans like it is at Manchester United. So that it allows us to bring that first row of fans even closer to the field. So from that feel it?s going to be fantastic.
The other thing is, and this is the interesting part, one of our owners ? Cliff Illig ? he is a huge sports junkie. And he?s all over the world going and seeing different sports. He has a huge interest in stadiums. So he?s been heavily involved in the process. He?s a very detail-oriented person. So I?m telling ya, they?re doing just an unbelievable job with the way the stadium is going to be from an entertainment perspective and what the fan is going to be able to see on the field and all the different locations that you?ll watch the game. It?s going to be great, and then all the different bars, and different locations and club seats, and all that stuff. It?s very exciting that we?re finally getting this opportunity to have our own stadium.
Also:

Kansas City Wizards stadium price drops with low bond interest rate
The new Kansas City Wizards stadium will cost about $1.7 million less than expected annually.

KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

AWESOME... 8)

Countdown to Bannister comments....
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

I'm still kind of angry that the Bannister area got the short end of the stick.  But, those photos look awesome can I can't wait to see the finished product.
KC is the way to be!
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I don't think it would have turned out as nice at Bannister.  The stadium out there fits with everything else going on.

Bannister doesn't need a stadium and parking lots, it needs housing.  Something like what was done at Stapelton in Denver.  That will actually help SKC and bring it back.  A stadium wouldn't have.  I was excited about the stadium at Bannister, but this might be a blessing.  Much like having half of downtown cleared and ready for a massive entertainment district that otherwise wouldn't have happened.

The stadium in KCK looks awesome though.  18k seems a bit small though.  I would have though they would have gone for more like 20-22k.  But overall, KC's MLS franchise should go from one of the least respected teams in the league to one of the more respected teams.  I know I can't wait to see a game there.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

GRID wrote: I don't think it would have turned out as nice at Bannister.  The stadium out there fits with everything else going on.

Bannister doesn't need a stadium and parking lots, it needs housing.  Something like what was done at Stapelton in Denver.  That will actually help SKC and bring it back.  A stadium wouldn't have.  I was excited about the stadium at Bannister, but this might be a blessing.  Much like having half of downtown cleared and ready for a massive entertainment district that otherwise wouldn't have happened.

The stadium in KCK looks awesome though.  18k seems a bit small though.  I would have though they would have gone for more like 20-22k.  But overall, KC's MLS franchise should go from one of the least respected teams in the league to one of the more respected teams.  I know I can't wait to see a game there.
I agree. I still have hope Bannister can have a development that actually gives residents in that area the amenities they need. Supposedly Cerner is still committed to putting offices there.

justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

Where is everybody going to park?
kanasalumn
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kanasalumn »

justin8216 wrote: Where is everybody going to park?
Speedway?  Community Ball Park?  NFM?  I am thinking basically what they do now at Community I would think
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

I am sure everybody will just ride the KCK BRT.  :D
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

I hope Populous's finished and built design for the new stadium doesn't end up  being a turd.