"comfort food" in kc.

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

"comfort food" in kc.

Post by chrizow »

now that the weather is turning chilly, i find myself increasingly turning to hearty comfort fare.  where are your favorite spots to do so?

i've had potpie's pan-roasted chicken twice in the past month.  it's just a delicious plate of food - roasted chicken, mashed potatoes, green beans, all slathered in jus.  awesome.

last week we checked out cafe europa's sunday comfort food dinner special, which was a winner as well.  large salad, fried chicken with mashed potatoes and a biscuit, and a dessert for $15 each.  the dessert was a bit suspect (a very dense, very dry spice cake), but the other food was right on, and in sane portions.  

we ate at stroud's a few months ago and it was good as well, although i personally think their fried chicken is not very flavorful at all.  totally overrated, but still good.  

where else is good for this sort of thing?  i imagine there are lots of good "home cookin'" type places around KC but i don't really know about them.  

i've still never been to Papa Lew's, nor have i had Peachtree in a non-catering, non-buffet capacity.  what about places like mccoy's and the foundry?  they have meatloaf and stuff like that, but i've never ordered it. 
Last edited by chrizow on Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: "comfort food" in kc.

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

chrizow wrote: nor have i had Peachtree in a non-catering, non-buffet capacity.
Can't beat the smothered pork chop for comfort food.

I would also mention Corner Cafe - I like the food better at some of the other places but you can't beat the pie as well as the feeling that you are dining somewhere in rural mid-mo despite only being five minutes from DT. 
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

Great thread, I need to try all of these.  Can't beat the cinnamon rolls at Strouds....  =D> I love the Irish Beef Stew at the Gaf - my favorite winter comfort food ever! 
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Raglan Road roasted chicken with mashed spuds, roasted baby carrots and a don't ask-don't tell sauce to pour over all.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

When at Strouds, I always opt for the chicken-fried steak.  More gravy opportunities!
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Not real handy to the core, but when you find yourself wanting home cooking in the burbs, try Santa Fe Cafe on 87th St.  Good breakfast too and cheap. 
kclofter
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kclofter »

PotPie's chocolate bread pudding is to die for.
ChefColby
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ChefColby »

Pot Pie is all about great comfort food  :wink:
Jess
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Jess »

Biscuits and gravy at Cook Shack Cafe just south of 89th and Wornall.  Not trendy, just cheap, rib-sticking breakfast fare served up by a family headed up by a retired firefighter who used to be his station's cook, I believe. Tiny and very small town diner in feel.

Boxty at O'Dowd's is Irish comfort food, and yummy.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Potpie chicken pot pie and peach cobbler
McCoy's open faced roast beef sandwich with mashed potatoes
Peachtree's fried chicken
O'Neill's pot roast
Vietnam Cafe's pho - really it is awesome for cold weather

I'm with you on Stroud's. Don't really get the love for the chicken. I have to get the chicken fried chicken there because the gravy is decent, but the chicken itself is very flavorless. Love the cinnamon rolls though.

Where can I find some good chili?
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

I normally will say that the food at 75th St is gawdawful, but the Chicken fried chicken with mashed potatoes and green beans is quite delicious, definitely one of the better items on the menu.
omenapt
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by omenapt »

i was gonna go off on the 1st person to mention Mamas!

Yuck! (unless you love salt and want molten lava entrees--nuked b4 serving)
mayor_of_waldo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by mayor_of_waldo »

PumpkinStalker wrote: I normally will say that the food at 75th St is gawdawful, but the Chicken fried chicken with mashed potatoes and green beans is quite delicious, definitely one of the better items on the menu.

I also like the chicken fried steak at 75th, and also agree with you about their food being bad.  I have noticed since KC Hopps got a new Head Chief and 75th street got a new menu, the food has gotten a lot better.  Service still sucks most of the time.
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

I really like the pot roast dinner at M&S Grill.  It?s in a cast iron dish with mashed potatoes, gravy and green beans.  The pot roast sandwich at lunch is pretty tasty also, but a little messy.  The even have pot roast sliders on happy hour that come with a side of mashed potatoes for like $4.95.  You can also get pot roast nachos.
I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

PumpkinStalker wrote: I normally will say that the food at 75th St is gawdawful, but the Chicken fried chicken with mashed potatoes and green beans is quite delicious, definitely one of the better items on the menu.
i thought they got rid of that a month ago with their menu revamp?
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

kard wrote: i thought they got rid of that a month ago with their menu revamp?
:-O  It's probably been a month since I've eaten there as well. I don't think I've seen the new menu yet. 
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

KCMax wrote: Potpie chicken pot pie and peach cobbler
McCoy's open faced roast beef sandwich with mashed potatoes
Peachtree's fried chicken
O'Neill's pot roast
Vietnam Cafe's pho - really it is awesome for cold weather

I'm with you on Stroud's. Don't really get the love for the chicken. I have to get the chicken fried chicken there because the gravy is decent, but the chicken itself is very flavorless. Love the cinnamon rolls though.

Where can I find some good chili?
McCoys has some decent Chilli. Their Truckstop Tuesday (chicken fried steak & meatloaf) specials are very good and very reasonable comfort food.

I don't know if I'm crossing a line between diner and comfort food -but I'd classify everything at Woodswether that comes with gravy as comfort food. And a few things that don't.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

WSPanic wrote: I don't know if I'm crossing a line between diner and comfort food -
I think it is pretty safe to say that diner food and comfort food share a solid chunk of overlap on the ol' Venn diagram.  To me, comfort food just also includes things like soul food, "country cooking", and hearty winter dishes in general.

I would count Cassoulet as classic comfort food - shall we add fou frog to the list?  :D
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Now I'm hungry and in Wichita. HELP?
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

shinatoo wrote: Now I'm hungry and in Wichita. HELP?
It's a pretty old thread, but my sense is that these aren't the type of places that change much:

http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=40