Downtown Buildings with Activity

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Downtown Buildings with Activity

Post by KCPowercat »

HalcyonKC wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:55 pm "Asian Cafe" just opened in the old Red Dragon space on 8th Street. I had a tasty bowl of pho there for lunch. Also, Vested Coffee on the same block has announced on their Facebook page that they will be closing permanently Dec 23.
Love that block so much. Would be a perfect ped only block with restaurants on both sides.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The Hampton inn at 8th and Walnut that closed after a flood during COVID is finally reopen
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:04 am The Hampton inn at 8th and Walnut that closed after a flood during COVID is finally reopen
Man, that took forever. Would love to know the backstory and details, if anyone here knows the deal.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

glad to see it open. I work at Commerce just down the street. Will be nice to see some activity on that stretch of Walnut, even if it is limited. Hoping it will help get something going with the abandoned garage & building next to it on the South side. That gaping "hole" just gives the street a "sketchy feeling" despite the area being just fine. In fact that whole area from 7th/Admiral South to 9th ST & East to West from McGee to Walnut could really use some development. I know there are some things planned but stalled in some of the existing building, some things happening but there is quite a few vacant lots, surface parking ready to get something on them, or at least I would hope something will go up :)
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

taxi wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:39 am
KCPowercat wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:04 am The Hampton inn at 8th and Walnut that closed after a flood during COVID is finally reopen
Man, that took forever. Would love to know the backstory and details, if anyone here knows the deal.
I know the realtor who handled the sale of 801 Walnut about 15 years ago, as well as the architects of record for the rehab. The garage was a liability, not structurally sound apparently, and that almost blew the sale (not sure if it was eventually even included in the sale).

The buyers wanted to remove the details of the front door, and the architects (WGN in Westport) fought to keep the original details as much as possible.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Not sure that has impact of what took so long to reopen the Hampton though which is what I think their question was.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:12 pm Not sure that has impact of what took so long to reopen the Hampton though which is what I think their question was.
Yes, KCP, it opened and then flooded not long after. It's the re-opening that blew my mind, took even longer than the original full rehab. Had tubes coming out of it for quite a while, making it look like it belonged in the movie Brazil. I would wager something went drastically wrong – either environmentally or with a contractor dispute or more likely a whole bunch of things combined.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

My guess was always insurance or contractor problems.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Permit filed for 1701 Locust to demolish the existing building and develop a mixed-use 9-story building. Justrite Stamp will have to move once again. Proposed is a structure with level one grocery/retail, second and third level structured parking, level four through eight condominiums, level 9 office with rooftop deck, pool and condominium amenities overlooking the city.

Developer is Iron Door Management.

https://www.irondoormanagement.com/

https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... b=contacts

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0931498 ... ?entry=ttu
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Can someone walk me through condo financing? Does the fact that this is condos mean that they already have a certain number signed or that it is more likely to happen than an apartment building?
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

FangKC wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:57 am Permit filed for 1701 Locust to demolish the existing building and develop a mixed-use 9-story building. Justrite Stamp will have to move once again. Proposed is a structure with level one grocery/retail, second and third level structured parking, level four through eight condominiums, level 9 office with rooftop deck, pool and condominium amenities overlooking the city.

Developer is Iron Door Management.

https://www.irondoormanagement.com/

https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... b=contacts

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0931498 ... ?entry=ttu
A most welcome change from the existing structure, and will give any otherwise dead corner some life
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I'm really surprised that there hasn't been any development plan put forth for the vacant parcels on this block.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0925,-9 ... ?entry=ttu
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC_Ari »

That stretch is very weird and disjointed, I've walked it many times. Whoever owns those parcels is clearly banking.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

KC_Ari wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:52 pm That stretch is very weird and disjointed, I've walked it many times. Whoever owns those parcels is clearly banking.
believe this was at one point a laundry and/or industrial site. May need remediation.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

If you're referring to the vacant land covered in grass, yes it is restricted due to environmental contamination. There are lots of monitoring wells on property and adjacent. It was a commercial dry cleaner before it was torn down (and according to parcel viewer they still own it)(. Not sure when it could be redeveloped into anything other than surface parking. From the MoDNR website:

HalcyonKC
New York Life
New York Life

Post by HalcyonKC »

The spot occupied by Banksia on 9th between Baltimore and Wyandotte is on the market for lease:
https://www.crossroads-kc.com/propertie ... cafe-space

Staff at Banksia said they will be moving locations to 12th and Main and also adding dinner hours.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

HalcyonKC wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:09 pm The spot occupied by Banksia on 9th between Baltimore and Wyandotte is on the market for lease:
https://www.crossroads-kc.com/propertie ... cafe-space

Staff at Banksia said they will be moving locations to 12th and Main and also adding dinner hours.
Nice!
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

oooo. they going into plowboys' spot?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

wahoowa wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:18 pm oooo. they going into plowboys' spot?
Seems like the only spot available? New bank on SE, 1KC lobby on SW, Made in KC cafe on NW.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Town Pavilion doing a good job getting ground level tenants. The bee cafe place seems to be popular and open a lot of hours.