CVS going in at 43rd and Rainbow

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
thesnowman21
Pad site
Pad site

CVS going in at 43rd and Rainbow

Post by thesnowman21 »

Sorry if this doesnt belong in here, or should be in the Kansas section. However I got a flier from you local area organization and in it it mentioned that a CVS is planned to go in at 42nd and Rainbow where quick trip use to be.

personally I am quite happy as Walgreens on 39th and Broadway always seemed quite far away at 2am in the morning.
Last edited by KCMax on Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: CVS going in at 43rd and Rainbow

Post by dangerboy »

Good new! Rosedale can use this, and it will be closer to the KU Medical Center.  But isn't this at 43rd?
thesnowman21
Pad site
Pad site

Post by thesnowman21 »

yeah my fault. Fat finger syndrome :)
wetpaint
Pad site
Pad site

Post by wetpaint »

Is it 24 hour? I never used to care, but now I have a four day old baby who has no concept of time. Does anyone know what 24 hour pharmacy is the closest to the Brookside area?
thesnowman21
Pad site
Pad site

Post by thesnowman21 »

i live in Roesdale and I generally go to the Walgreens on 39th and Broadway as I know that Walgreens in 24 hours.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Wasn't KCK trying to do some thing to spruce up Rainbow? It is downright eerie crossing over from the eclecticism of the outskirts of Westport and W 39th to the sterility of Wy Co and NE JoCo only a couple blocks away. A GIANT step would be having the CVS with a sidewalk pedestrian entrance at the corner of the intersection like the CVS in North Kansas City.
thesnowman21
Pad site
Pad site

Post by thesnowman21 »

I do remember hearing something about them trying to improve the rainbow blvd area, however I havent heard anything in a while. I would hope that they would have sidewalk pedestrian entrance considering that there is quite a lot of foot traffic in that area.
wetpaint
Pad site
Pad site

Post by wetpaint »

thesnowman21 wrote: i live in Roesdale and I generally go to the Walgreens on 39th and Broadway as I know that Walgreens in 24 hours.
Thank you!!!!
Stockton
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Stockton »

trailerkid wrote: Wasn't KCK trying to do some thing to spruce up Rainbow? It is downright eerie crossing over from the eclecticism of the outskirts of Westport and W 39th to the sterility of Wy Co and NE JoCo only a couple blocks away. A GIANT step would be having the CVS with a sidewalk pedestrian entrance at the corner of the intersection like the CVS in North Kansas City.
You really think SE KCK and NE JoCo are sterile? It seems like to me that KCMO's neighborhoods flow freely across the state line without any difference except maybe the color of the street signs.

It would be awesome to have an urban CVS like Brookside or NKC, but that's not going to happen. It didn't happen on Main or Broadway, and the Main St CVS at least borders the street. I doubt that will even happen with the KCK store.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i heard that a KCK neighborhood association around there (spring valley?  hanover heights?  not sure) wanted to fight the CVS b/c it would bring "traffic" and undesirables to the area.  yay nimbys!  these same folks fought the townhouses on Rainbow (yeah, the ones that are worth 50% more than any house in a ten-block radius). 
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Stockton wrote: You really think SE KCK and NE JoCo are sterile? It seems like to me that KCMO's neighborhoods flow freely across the state line without any difference except maybe the color of the street signs.

It would be awesome to have an urban CVS like Brookside or NKC, but that's not going to happen. It didn't happen on Main or Broadway, and the Main St CVS at least borders the street. I doubt that will even happen with the KCK store.
I agree with you EXCEPT that stretch of Rainbow is an awful suburban sprawl fast food strip. They could make it much more pedestrian friendly, especially considering there is already an awful lot of pedestrian activity on that street.

Great news about the CVS, really surprised another gas station didn't fill that spot as it seemed like a prime location. I'm sure the CVS will do quite well.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

^Probably Hanover Heights.  That's the historic district south of KU Med and east of Rainbow, home to Carol Marinovich.

There is a vague plan to improve Rainbow by making a bit more urban and pedestrian-friendly and over time to de-emphasize all of the fast food, drive thrus, parking lots, etc.  But I don't know if they have any specifics yet or if they are far enough along to enforce any kind of changes on the CVS site.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

It's a pretty small site for a CVS, unless they are also planning to demolish part of the existing strip center as well.  It will have to be pretty close to the lot line, regardless.  They might as well do it right.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

If people care about this, now's the time to contact your KCK Commissioners.
Nathan
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Nathan »

Meeting tomorrow....

http://www.rosedale.org/cvspharmacy.htm

There were several concerns raised, including: incongruity with the Rosedale Master Plan, access and traffic issues, proximity to residences on Adams St., the pedestrian unfriendly design, and lack of integration with the remaining commerical strip on the adjacent property to the south.

The initial proposal would require the removal of the existing Quik Trip building and three houses to the west on the east side of Adams St.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Nathan wrote: Meeting tomorrow....

http://www.rosedale.org/cvspharmacy.htm

There were several concerns raised, including: incongruity with the Rosedale Master Plan, access and traffic issues, proximity to residences on Adams St., the pedestrian unfriendly design, and lack of integration with the remaining commerical strip on the adjacent property to the south.

The initial proposal would require the removal of the existing Quik Trip building and three houses to the west on the east side of Adams St.

It sounds like the neighborhood is on the right track for the most part. Maybe a better product will come about. It'd be nice if the project evolved more into a pseudo-Brookside shopping center including the CVS and a couple other spaces.

Are they talking about "integration" of the existing 1960/70s strip mall? Level the damn thing and leave the housing.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

What Quik Trip are you talking about because the one on Southwest BLVD in KS is been teared down and moving across into MO?
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

rainbow and 43rd 8), been closed for at least a year
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

mgsports wrote: What Quik Trip are you talking about because the one on Southwest BLVD in KS is been teared down and moving across into MO?
The location is in the title of the thread....
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

They are going to tear down the old QuikTrip and Build a new CVS Pharymacy on that corner.

The city tussled with the developer about building it to the street in a more urban design. The city or the developer didn't get everything they wanted. But they ended up with a compromise that please the neighborhood.

http://www.wycokck.org/WorkArea/showcon ... x?id=21362
Last edited by justin8216 on Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.