Windows Lofts

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
WallStHawk
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Windows Lofts

Post by WallStHawk »

The search function pulls up a few mentions of this building in other threads but nothing about it specifically.

We went and looked at it last week and it's probably the nicest rental building I've seen in KC since we moved here from New York (been at 909 Walnut for 2+ years).  Kudos to the developer for assessing the market and making the switch to rentals, rather than allowing the building to languish as condos for the foreseeable future. 

Modern kitchens and baths, polished concrete floors, 20 ft. ceilings, W/D in unit, rooftop lounge with great views of DT and a pool, workout facility, etc.

We're moving in at the the end of this month and are really excited about it.  Anybody else moving in soon or looking to?

http://www.blueurban.com/windows-lofts-kc/
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Windows Lofts

Post by DaveKCMO »

we were planning to buy a unit at the companion building -- piper lofts -- but then the economy tanked and they switched to rental. finish and amenities are great. glad to hear they're finally done!
WallStHawk
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by WallStHawk »

I stopped by this afternoon to drop off my golf clubs and a few other items that were in the back of my car.  I took the opportunity to snap a few photos for those that haven't had a chance to check this place out.

This is my living room to be.  I chose the second floor because of the 20 ft. ceilings.  The room is bigger than it probably looks in pictures because the ceiling is so high and the windows so big.

Timbered ceilings...haven't quite seen anything like them before.

Kitchens come in white, medium or espresso colored cabinets.  Also black or gray granite counters.

Nice bathroom fixtures, huge bathtubs.

Rooftop lounge, next to pool.

View from roof.

geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

I wonder how much the lease/rents are?  :shock:
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Yeah, not to be nosy...but how much!!  Man those finished are great!!  Much better than a lot of KC lofts w/ their bumpy drywall walls and ugly blond wood cabinets! 
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Must be a generational thing.  Those are the most ugly, sterile things around.  Looks like they belong in a doctor's office or something, not a place to live in.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
WallStHawk
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by WallStHawk »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Must be a generational thing.  Those are the most ugly, sterile things around.  Looks like they belong in a doctor's office or something, not a place to live in.
Or rather a matter of (or lack of) taste.  Given the opinions I've seen you offer on other topics, I take this as nothing less than the highest compliment you're capable of.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

Wow.  Those units do look impressive.  What is the rent?
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

Come on AKP, you know you've painted your paneling white.
WallStHawk
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by WallStHawk »

We got in for $990 (970 sq. ft. 1BR/1BA)  Less per sq. ft. than what we're paying at 909 for what I think is a much better space.

I think the most expensive one I looked at was a 2/2 at about $1700.  There are something like 20 different floorplans and I maybe looked at six of them.
Appraiser
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Appraiser »

That place looks awsome!  Sorry to ask but what is the parking situation.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

WallStHawk wrote:We got in for $990 (970 sq. ft. 1BR/1BA)
A steal! Nice pad.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
WallStHawk
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by WallStHawk »

Appraiser wrote: That place looks awsome!  Sorry to ask but what is the parking situation.
Limited parking in the building for $100, non-affiliated garage for $75, building controlled lot across the street for $50 or street parking for $0.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Those are the most ugly, sterile things around.  Looks like they belong in a doctor's office or something, not a place to live in.
Maybe it has to do with the lack of furniture.  Sterile is not the word that comes to my mind...
hoghead

Post by hoghead »

For that kind of rent why not own ?
Appraiser
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Appraiser »

hoghead wrote: For that kind of rent why not own ?
The question should be, with rent like that why buy.  Similar units in that building were priced at $213,800 which was in line with comparbles in the area.  At that price and with a mortgage at 5.5% interest plus 1% PMI a monthly payment including HOA dues of $238 per month and abated taxes of $16.67 a month would run slightly over $1600 a month.  Add the idea that you might not want to stay long term and the cost to sell unit would exceed $12K and why would you want to buy.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

I want to go to there.

Seriously, how is that only $1/sq ft? Is it because they don't want to feel bad when they sell your apartment in 2 years and kick you out?
You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once. Not in 'Nam of course.
WallStHawk
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by WallStHawk »

Well, I'm kicking myself out in two years to return to New York so that's not really my concern.  KC is not my home and I have zero plans on staying here.

Otherwise, and others would know better, I believe the building has to remain rentals for 5 years before reverting to condos.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

lock+load wrote: Come on AKP, you know you've painted your paneling white.
Nope.  And have not painted the brick either.  Nor the kitchen cabinets.  And the kitchen table and chairs, along with the dining room furniture is also wood.

It is not a matter of a lack of taste, what one person says, but what one prefers to live with.  Hey, if that is the way you like to finish and furnish your living space then more power to you. 
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

WallStHawk wrote: Well, I'm kicking myself out in two years to return to New York so that's not really my concern.  KC is not my home and I have zero plans on staying here.

Otherwise, and others would know better, I believe the building has to remain rentals for 5 years before reverting to condos.
It only has to remain rental for five years if they had utilized historic tax credits.  Blue Urban, the developer, intended these to be sold as condos immediately and as such did not anticipate the ability/need to utilize historic credits.  Now, as result of the economic climate they are offering the units as rentals as an interim holding strategy.  As soon as the market improves, whether a year or five, they will begin the sales process anew.