KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

KC pet peeves...

Post by GRID »

So, what are they???

A few of mine:

No parking Downtown: I can go Downtown during the busiest part of the day and park along the curb for under 25 cents no less than a block away from any downtown destination. Like covered parking or surface lots? Then your options are endless.

No parking on the Plaza: See Downtown, except ITS FREE!

Nothing to do: GET OUT!

Roads suck: Well they do, but they are getting better, but if you want good roads YOU MIGHT HAVE TO PAY FOR THEM!

I could go on and on, anybody else?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

KC pet peeves...

Post by KCPowercat »

roads....except for a few spots, I really don't think they are that bad.......all the years I went to Manhattan for college, KS had "nice" roads but they were always under construction...so I'm not sure what was worse.

KCMO is all bad schools.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

KC pet peeves...

Post by KC0KEK »

Boring radio and TV, with very few exceptions (e.g., KCUR). Finding good music means tuning in out-of-market stations, such as 90.9 The Bridge in Warrensburg. The news on all of the TV stations is awful; KOMU in Columbia is almost better.
KCDevin

KC pet peeves...

Post by KCDevin »

Businesses, they don't move downtown, they sprawl.
No desire to build up anymore (it was at its height, no pun intended, in the 80's with 1KCP & Town Pavilion, and One Bell Center in STL).
I think we will have that desire once again, but we'll have to find competition elsewhere. Maybe Denver, thatd build us a 900 footer ;)
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

KC pet peeves...

Post by dangerboy »

My pet peeve: people who bitch about things without getting involved in solving our problems.

A lot of people's pet peeves about KC are their own fault. Like Grid says, Downtown parking shortages are a myth, and there is plenty to do in the city if you get your ass off of the couch and out of your gated subdivision.

As for radio, it sucks in every city except maybe 3 or 4. Just be thankful that Clear Channel isn't in this market. Instead of bitching about the radio, go to KKFI 90.1 and start your own radio show. While your at, give them financial support to help keep a good independent station running.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

KC pet peeves...

Post by KCPowercat »

wait I'm confused....Grid titled it pet peeves but it's more like misconceptions in his post...that's what I followed....
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
scooterj
Ambassador

KC pet peeves...

Post by scooterj »

If we go the peeve route the one that gets me is traffic reporters who forget the layout of their city and give incorrect problem locations:
  • * I-69 is completely backed up. (Do they mean Highway 69 or are the misreading 169?)
    * Similarly, I have heard "I-50", "I-291", "I-350", mentioned.
    [/list:u]

Then there are thouse who forget the layout of our city and don't give enough information:
    • * "I-70 is shut down at Highway 7" (Okay, is that Missouri or Kansas?)
      * "Northbound I-435 is slow at 87th". (Again, which state?)
      * "Accident on the ramp from westbound 70 to southbound 435." (Again, which state?)
      * "Accident at I-35 and Hwy 69" (Wow, that's helpful, those two only intersect at about a half a dozen places in the metro.)
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

KC pet peeves...

Post by GRID »

scooterj wrote:If we go the peeve route the one that gets me is traffic reporters who forget the layout of their city and give incorrect problem locations:
  • * I-69 is completely backed up. (Do they mean Highway 69 or are the misreading 169?)
    * Similarly, I have heard "I-50", "I-291", "I-350", mentioned.

Then there are thouse who forget the layout of our city and don't give enough information:
    • * "I-70 is shut down at Highway 7" (Okay, is that Missouri or Kansas?)
      * "Northbound I-435 is slow at 87th". (Again, which state?)
      * "Accident on the ramp from westbound 70 to southbound 435." (Again, which state?)
      * "Accident at I-35 and Hwy 69" (Wow, that's helpful, those two only intersect at about a half a dozen places in the metro.)
Whats worse is when you are stuck in a ten mile traffic jam on I-70 or I-470 and the radio only talks about some stalled car at 175th and Nall.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

KC pet peeves...

Post by QueSi2Opie »

dangerboy wrote:there is plenty to do in the city if you get your ass off of the couch and out of your gated subdivision.
Aye, this is the biggest problem I have with people...

"Alright, we don't have a damn beach or mountains, but we have jus' about everything else. Besides, you're too f*ckin' lazy to climb a mountain anyway and nobody wants to see your fat ass laying on a beach!"

What gives many people this perception (on KC having nothin' to do) is the fact that everything is so spread out. If you have the KC Zoo in Penn Valley Park, the Stadiums/Arenas downtown, Westport Road at Truman Road, the Plaza at 31st Street instead of 47th, Nelson-Atkins in Washington Square Park, Ameristar/Argosy/Harrah's/Isle of Capri all in Berkley Riverfront Park, etc., you'd have everyone sayin' that KC is an exciting city!
Last edited by QueSi2Opie on Tue Nov 04, 2003 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: KC pet peeves...

Post by ignatius »

GRID wrote:So, what are they???

A few of mine:

No parking Downtown: I can go Downtown during the busiest part of the day and park along the curb for under 25 cents no less than a block away from any downtown destination. Like covered parking or surface lots? Then your options are endless.

No parking on the Plaza: See Downtown, except ITS FREE!

Nothing to do: GET OUT!

Roads suck: Well they do, but they are getting better, but if you want good roads YOU MIGHT HAVE TO PAY FOR THEM!

I could go on and on, anybody else?

My peaves are comments like these.

There is more parking downtown per sq. foot of office space than any other comparable city. The problem is that 98% of people drive to work vs. 70% in Minneapolis. Also, people in this town think they must park IN FRONT of their destination. If willing to walk a block or three, there are not as much parking problems downtown, especially at night.

As for the Plaza, there is plenty parking there too but the garages are (fortunately) well hidden behind the retail (as it should be).

Driving/pedestrian attitudes in this town are among the worst I've seen anywhere. I was with some Irish contractors at work going out with other suburbanites from work. We went to the Plaza to the Cheesecake factory and most parked at the nearest garage. We then went to O'Dowds and the suburbadroids felt uncomfortable walking that far away from there car and actually got their car to move it near O'Dowds. The Irish guys were shocked and I was embarrassed.

My other peaves are driver ignorance towards pedestrians. We need to have stiff fines when cars enter a pedestrian crosswalk with a person in it. All parking garages should have retail sites at the sidewalk (as the Plaza does). No building should ever be built with a blank, empty facade. Urban KC should cater to pedestrians first, cars second.

There is a common find I have for those who think there is nothing to do in KC. They are among the most boring people I know. I go out almost every night. I have to slow down because there is more to do than I can keep up with.