Westside Local - Restaurant & Beer Garden

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Westside Local - Restaurant & Beer Garden

Post by dangerboy »

bahua wrote: Both times I've been there we just walked past the hostess and went outside.
I'm pretty sure it's a free-for-all. It sounds like since you ask the hostess to seat you outside she was just being nice, instead telling you to go seat yourself.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

well i officially love this place.  Went for the second time last weekend and had a wonderful time.  It was a beautiful evening, and my party of 4 waited for an opening outside to sneak into a beer garden table.  I'm glad we did, because our dining campanions on the other side of the table were quite an enjoyable random group, and made our night all the more pleasant.

I had the delicous roast beef sandwich with garlic fries (including the great homeade ketchup) and a couple of BLVD Tank 7s, my new favorite beer.  Service was attentive and truly friendly, the atmosphere both in an out was sociable and sophisticated.  I love what the new owners have done to his building, it is simultaneously warm and sleek, and the beer garden is one of my favorite new spaces in the city, especially when sipping on a Tank 7 and meeting new friends.  I could stand a slightly expanded menu, with maybe slightly cheaper entrees, but given that everything I've tried here has been great, I'll let it go.  Also, between the name and the Free State connection I sure would love to see some more Kansas beers on tap (Free State, Tallgrass, etc.).  Jaywalkers and Yard House both have Free State taps so I know it's possible, at least in Kansas.

Good food, great beer, in a neighborhood I love that just keeps getting better.  These are the types of places that will bring our urban core back to life, if we can continue to support them. 
are we spinning free?
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

The problem is that Free State doesn't distribute in Missouri. they were going to, but the fire a year or so back put their distribution plans on a back burner. TONS of bars in the KC metro would be carrying Free State if it was legal to sell on the MO side.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I tried a beer called Racer 7 there a few times and it was amazing!  There should be plenty of beers to try on that menu without Free State, just have to give them a chance.
mudjack
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mudjack »

rxlexi wrote:

Good food, great beer, in a neighborhood I love that just keeps getting better.  These are the types of places that will bring our urban core back to life, if we can continue to support them. 
I tried it a week ago. The food and atmosphere was good. The garlic fries were great. The service was friendly, but slow and easily overwhelmed. There were a couple of employees hanging out in the empty bar area (it was an early lunch). I don't know what they were doing, but it must have been more important than greeting guests or helping our server who was in the weeds.

I'll give this place another shot. I hope it does well. But I'm not ready to declare my love, just yet.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

went to WL for my second visit saturday evening and had a lovely time.  our server was friendly and had no problem keeping all our confusing tabs separate.  good beer selection, great fries, and we had some delicious oysters saturday night.  if WL can keep improving and tweaking, there is no reason why it won't remain very popular.  it's a solid place with a lot to offer (other than bar space). 
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

Easy to overlook because of the beer focus, but I really enjoy their wine-by-the-glass list.  Interesting choices, well-priced, generous pours.
elextendo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by elextendo »

Had dinner there last nite..BORING. Good beer selection (no NON-alcoholic beer) Like the place and the layout But, the Roast Beef was ok at best, the au juice pretty boring the meat to bread ratio average at best..Bread very tasty. No Horse radish in the house? nothing spicy to kick the dead horse. And the server (he)..ahhh..well could have made the experience a little better.. I will give the place another chance without a group of people..But this shouldnt effect the food coming from the kitchen.. Oh the good thing was Garlic fries ( which I didnt order but came with the sandwich,but turned out I had an option for a salad, Which I prefered) thanks again server boy..
P&L Free since 2008
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

elextendo wrote: No Horse radish in the house?
that's weird, they usually bring a horseradish sauce (i think?) for the french fries.  no reason why you couldn't get it on the sandwich. 

all the food my fiancee and i have had a westside local so far has been good.  fries, oysters, sardines, etc.  the beer selection is good, as is the wine selection.  all in all this is the best place that has opened in KC in a while.  nothing mindblowing, just solid and comfortable.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Anyone tried any of the entrees yet?  We have only had the sandwiches and apps. 
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Have had the braised rabbit and the steak frite and both were very, very good.  Best simple comfort food in the city.  I talked to the owners last time and they seem nonegotistical, charming and genuine.  Wish we had more people like them in this city.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

beautyfromashes wrote: Have had the braised rabbit and the steak frite and both were very, very good.  Best simple comfort food in the city.  I talked to the owners last time and they seem nonegotistical, charming and genuine.  Wish we had more people like them in this city.
Sounds good.  I couldn't make out from the "large plates" title - are they intended to be sharing portions?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Sounds good.  I couldn't make out from the "large plates" title - are they intended to be sharing portions?
Not double portions like you get some places but more than enough for one person.  They had a mussels special the last time I was in too and it was very good.  The wife had the heirloom tomato salad and the dressing was very good and the fennel was very sweet.  I honestly haven't tried any of the sandwiches yet.  Anyone have a suggestion or which is their favorite?
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

beautyfromashes wrote: Anyone have a suggestion or which is their favorite?
I really enjoyed the Roast Beef when we were there but someone in our group had the chicken cutlet with the homemade brownschweiger and kraut and it looked absolutely awesome. 
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

elextendo wrote: Had dinner there last nite..BORING.  ... the Roast Beef was ok at best, the au juice pretty boring the meat to bread ratio average at best..Bread very tasty.
Wow.  I have had the roast beef w/ au jus multiple times and loved it each time.  The meat to bread ratio was fine to me, but perhaps most would expect the KFC Double Down... plenty of meat.  I'd say this place is anything but boring.  While my service hasn't been bad, they definitely need to be faster. 

This is still one of the most unique restaurants in KC.  It has more of a Brooklyn neighborhood feel, some interesting quirks, no TVs (that I am aware of), and a simple yet interesting selection of food and bev.  Every server I have had has been incredibly nice.  Sure, this is not Grinders, but they don't want to be.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Anyone tried any of the entrees yet?  We have only had the sandwiches and apps. 
The sheep cheese ravioli entree is pretty delicious.  Subtle, sophisticated flavors.  It is not a massive serving, but it is extremely rich and as result, filling.  

I've got to stand up for the roast beef sandwich.  It's made with ribeye, and I find myself craving it anytime I think of it and I am not a huge beef eater these days.  The balance of meat to bread is perfect IMO.  It's not a Bryants-size serving, but does anybody really need that much, and this is a far better cut of meat.  The au jus that comes with it makes my gf's knees weak.  Guess everyone has different tastes.

I've had the burger and thought it was really good, but three people have told me that the burger they had at the Local was the absolute best they have ever had.
elextendo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by elextendo »

Not comparing this to the over the top portion kinda of places. Just a little lite on meat or the bread was to large?Not a huge problem to solve..also the flavor was boring..thats all I can say the Au -juice @ Harrys is better than the one I had there. I eat all over its just not focused on Grinders so please dont go there. Its just an opinion, I will give it another chance just as I always do.
P&L Free since 2008
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

I do love this place.
But i got the rabbit saison, which also happens to be the most expensive thing on the menu, and i feel like the portion size was WAY too small. I left feeling almost as hungry as when i walked in, but after spending $23 on an entree i didn't want to blow any more money at Westside Local. I stopped at Wendy's on the way home...

maybe i'm just a piggie, but it seemed way too small for me. It looks like a lot on the plate, but it's mostly bones.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

I'm with elextendo on the roast beef, though I've described it as above average because French dips are so often bad and I really liked the bread.  I'll need to try Harry's French dip.

I really like the place though, and am especially pleased with the Local as a place to go for a glass of wine.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I very much liked the roast beef tonight, right amount and very fresh, baguette was chewy until dunked which seems appropriate and the au jus was awsome.  i agree that most folks bar is very low regarding french dip thanks to sysco.  Grilled cheese got raves and tank 7 kicked my ass!  We'll be back for sure.