Peachtree to Leave 18th & Vine

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Fried gravy logs!?

Oh my...
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by DiggityDawg »

mean wrote:Fried gravy logs!?

Oh my...

My cholesterol shot up 50 points just reading that. :shock:
TheDude
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by TheDude »

here you go:

"ALWAYS be closing"
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Peach Tree Staying

Post by FangKC »

I heard on one of the TV news broadcasts last night (Tuesday) that the Peach Tree Restaurant in the Jazz District is no longer up for sale, and will not close. It was reported that they have negotiated a better deal with the Jazz District Redevelopment Corp.
There is no fifth destination.
Good2Great
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Good2Great »

That sucks....someone needs to stronghold the city and the 18th & Vine redevelopment assoc. to get some activity there.
KCSKYSCRAPERS changed my life. I was on the edge until I visited this site. Now I find myself longing to dive off a 60 story building onto a frozen fountain paying tribute to the St. Louis Arch.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Good2Great wrote:That sucks....someone needs to stronghold the city and the 18th & Vine redevelopment assoc. to get some activity there.
What do you define as activity? The apartments and lofts in the area are filling up as fast as they are being built. The Red Vine club/restaurant and Strangfrut smoothie bar are under construction. Other people are planning for a dance club, a coffee house, and other businesses. Renovated and new housing is being built in Beacon Hill and other nearby neighborhoods. New commercial and office space is also under construction.

Yeah it took a long time to get the redevelopment started, but there is definitely momentum and "activity" now.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

Question... Is there any activity in the business fronts on Vine Street between 18th and 19th? The part that looks like the "original" 18th & Vine area from the 20s-30s..
Last edited by QueSi2Opie on Wed Nov 26, 2003 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
TheDude
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by TheDude »

what is your source on all of this "activity"? last time (last week) i drove through there all i saw was empty storefronts and some really nice new vacant buildings. i could care less about what is "planned" cause in this city i will believe it when i see it. by the way, where is the ex-exec dir of BEU these days? he was skimming off the bottom public funds that were supposed to be used for redevelopment of the area to fund his fastland lifestyle--just was too stupid and got caught. another black eye on good intentions...

Don't mix a big jug of chlorine bleach and ammonia
Don't burn the neighborhood down or your parents'll disown'ya
Don't call yourself the brand new Messiah
You'll only get called a saddened pariah who lied
(and got crucified)

You've got to be careful, You've got to be careful in this life

Don't tell your friend the actor who played Kaiser Sose
Don't embezzle and get featured on a Fox News expose
Don't paint your house with just watercolors
Don't eat a diet entirely of crullers; you'll get fat
(and no-one would like that)

Ride your bike; run, and dance and sing
Go out without wearing a thing
Eat and drink your wine;
Everything will be fine if you

Don't go off and date your best friend's kid sister
Don't rub salt inside your nice fresh red blister
Don't ponder the world and how fast it's shrinking
Don't dwell on death; it's simply too goddam much thinking
(you're better off drinking)
"ALWAYS be closing"
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

you know the saddest part of this city? The development "professionals" that are supposed to get all this stuff rolling are the ones who are the most negative. Shouldn't these professionals be out there getting stuff done? :)
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Authentic Jazz District

Post by FangKC »

QueSi2Opie wrote:Question... Is there any activity in the business fronts on Vine Street between 18th and 19th? The part that looks like the "original" 18th & Vine area from the 20s-30s..
Yes, those buildings along that block appear to be original. The Hey-Hey Club is there, and so is the Deluxe Nightclub. I think they are the only original jazz nightclubs remaining from the jazz era. They appear to be vacant. There's another vacant jazz nightclub on the NE corner of 19th and Vine. I can't recall the name. I wish those clubs would reopen, but retain some of the "patina" from that era. I wouldn't want to see them completely gutted and made all modern and slick.

Then there's the old Dixie Lan (sic) Barbeque (it's spelled that way) place on 19th. That block is the most authentic part of the Jazz District (other than the Gem Theater). The part along 18th street is mostly new and a little too fancy-smancy for a historic jazz district. Part of the appeal of jazz was the slumming aspect of it. However, I'm glad to see any development in that area--new or otherwise. I would like to see more neon and flashing lights in that area--since those forms of advertising are of that era.

I think the old Vine Street Workhouse (the stone castle-like structure) south of 19th Street. would be a cool nightclub. What do you all think? I think a pool hall would be appropriate as well.
There is no fifth destination.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Re: Authentic Jazz District

Post by QueSi2Opie »

FangKC wrote:Yes, those buildings along that block appear to be original. The Hey-Hey Club is there, and so is the Deluxe Nightclub. Then there's the old Dixie Lan (sic) Barbeque. I think the old Vine Street Workhouse (the stone castle-like structure) south of 19th Street. would be a cool nightclub. What do you all think? I think a pool hall would be appropriate as well.
Some genius with a fat wad of cash should restore these buildings and make them gritty Jazz clubs. The area could be covered w/ neon. Why build new buildings when there's old ones to be restored? People need to get their heads out of their asses, and fast!
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Finally tried Peachtree, great place!
LyRiCaL GanGsTa

Post by LyRiCaL GanGsTa »

Grid, was there live music? and how was that if there was?
UMKCroo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by UMKCroo »

Anyone know if strange frut is open, im die'in for a smoothie. And, i dont want to drive to joco!
GO ROOs!!!!!
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

LyRiCaL GanGsTa wrote:Grid, was there live music? and how was that if there was?
No live music, I would like to return and check that out though.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

UMKCroo wrote:Anyone know if strange frut is open, im die'in for a smoothie. And, i dont want to drive to joco!
I forget what this place is called, but they have good smoothies and they are not in JoCo ;).

KCforumer

Post by KCforumer »

Smoothie Central
UMKCroo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by UMKCroo »

ahh....latte land, i forgot they do have smoothies. Thanks grid!
GO ROOs!!!!!
LyRiCaL GanGsTa

Post by LyRiCaL GanGsTa »

LatteLand has great smoothies and they're all named after famous KC Jazz Clubs! I especially dig the "Blue Room" w/blueberries and bananas.
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Slappy the Wang »

UMKCroo wrote:Anyone know if strange fruit is open?
You'll have to ask him. He goes by Ta2KC!
Be green or go Broke Tryin'