Peachtree to Leave 18th & Vine

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
Good2Great
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Good2Great »

Article in today's KC Star about the Peachtree pulling out, yet the Jazz District Redevelopment Chief claims area is on an upswing?
KCSKYSCRAPERS changed my life. I was on the edge until I visited this site. Now I find myself longing to dive off a 60 story building onto a frozen fountain paying tribute to the St. Louis Arch.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

sounds like the owners of the peachtree are having a tiff with the development people.....

I'd say it's on an upswing especially if the Red Vine and Strange Frut and the other club they had talked about open up.

My guess is the peachtree will not close/leave...they are just doing this to get their point across with their landlords...that's just my guess.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
Good2Great
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Good2Great »

As blasphemous as this may seem, the PEachtree may be best served (on a profit/loss basis) somewhere like Leawood Town Center. Ever been to Sylvia's in Harlem (NYC)? The place has a line of honkeys a block long trying to get in and "experience diversity." In fact, as we were dining at Sylvia's I noticed that for a "soul food" joint, there weren't very many African Americans in attendance.
KCSKYSCRAPERS changed my life. I was on the edge until I visited this site. Now I find myself longing to dive off a 60 story building onto a frozen fountain paying tribute to the St. Louis Arch.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Maybe North JoCo but Leawood? Not sure they are ready for that kind of intergration yet :)
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
Good2Great
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Good2Great »

So long as "diversity" is viewed as a novelty, they'd be down with it.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

The article says that the owners are selling the restaurant, not moving it.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

The Peach Tree people have been complainin' from the get go. They wanted to turn an instant profit without even waitin' for the new Vine Street Lofts or nearby homes to be developed.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
TheDude
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by TheDude »

give me a break, only reason 18th and Vine exists is cause Cleaver diverted over $16mm of public funds from other neighborhoods in more desparate need to develop a farsighted "build-it-and-they-will-come" folley. Anyone know Slyvester Holmes? former chief of the Black Economic Union located in the heart of 18th/Vine who had an active role in its redevelopment? well he got caught with is hand in the cookie jar, using public funds for his own personal joy ride; may spend some time in a country club w/ bars!

furthermore, sojoco white bread don't go to 18th and Vine to spend their $$.

out
"ALWAYS be closing"
Good2Great
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Good2Great »

TheDude wrote:give me a break, only reason 18th and Vine exists is cause Cleaver diverted over $16mm of public funds from other neighborhoods in more desparate need to develop a farsighted "build-it-and-they-will-come" folley. Anyone know Slyvester Holmes? former chief of the Black Economic Union located in the heart of 18th/Vine who had an active role in its redevelopment? well he got caught with is hand in the cookie jar, using public funds for his own personal joy ride; may spend some time in a country club w/ bars!
out
Speaking of joy rides. Brianna Banks is at Bazookas next week!
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

KC wrote:sounds like the owners of the peachtree are having a tiff with the development people.....
But they sure aren't having a TIF! Woahooo, watch out!
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by QueSi2Opie »

TheDude wrote:furthermore, sojoco white bread don't go to 18th and Vine to spend their $$.
Wow! I guess me and my South JOCO friends must be exceptions since we've been to the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum twice and the American Jazz Museum and the Blue Room once. In addition to that, we recommend it to all our out-of-town family and friends that come to KC.

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Why? Is it really worth seeing? If I want a good 'jazz district' I'll drive down to New Orleans. Kansas City, for all its jazz history, has one piss poor jazz present.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by QueSi2Opie »

mean wrote:Why? Is it really worth seeing? If I want a good 'jazz district' I'll drive down to New Orleans. Kansas City, for all its jazz history, has one piss poor jazz present.
Give it time, we allowed it to fade and die like we've done with everything else in KC. I'm confident that 18th & Vine will be bumpin' in about 3-4 years. Right now there is no grand Jazz District in Kansas City...jus' a bunch of spaced out jazz clubs. At least the 18th & Vine area offers some great museums, the Mutual Musicians Foundation, the Charlie Parker memorial, the Blue Room and the Gem Theater. I still hope they'll add a few more gritty jazz clubs instead of jus' soul food buffets and smoothie bars. Why couldn't the New Pointe Grill reopen on 18th & Vine? I seriously doubt a jazz club will ever be that successful outside of our "jazz district" because visitors (Jazz lovers from outside KC) won't want to drive around lookin' for certain clubs, they want to be able to find most of them in one specific area.

dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

According to The Call, the Peach Tree owners are upset that the newer restaurants set to go in got much better lease terms, and the JDRC isn't being very responsive. They feel like others are reaping the benefits of the risk they take by opening first.

The story also mentions that most members of the JDRC don't have backgrounds in community development, finance, real estate, etc. While things are looking up, the city still continues to fumble and squander the opportunity here.

http://www.kccall.com/news/2003/1031/Fr ... e/002.html
TheDude
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by TheDude »

jesus, they need to stop whining and get focused on their business--sounds like the owner of Peachtree sits on the KCMO school district board.
"ALWAYS be closing"
GuyInLenexa
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by GuyInLenexa »

Didn't Silvia's of Harlem want to locate in the 18th and Vine district at one time? It seemed that they did not want an "out of area" company locating there.
Too bad, that would have been a big of draw as Lidia's
TheDude
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by TheDude »

bathtub gin, speakeasies and brothels are the answer to 18th and Vine.

I'm on fire like a molotov cocktail
I'm high off them cocktails
Dangerous gone broke, my aim is no joke
Duct taped, roped, strangle your folks
Box cut across the throat (nope)
Bang the four 'till it's broke
"ALWAYS be closing"
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

GuyInLenexa wrote:Didn't Silvia's of Harlem want to locate in the 18th and Vine district at one time? It seemed that they did not want an "out of area" company locating there.
Too bad, that would have been a big of draw as Lidia's
18th & Vine wanted Sylvia's, but Sylvia didn't want them. That's another reason why there are so many bad feelings. The JDRC refused to consider any local restauranteurs until after Sylvia refused to come here. That's a big part of why the development is so delayed - they wasted too much time chasing Sylvia's while shutting people that actually wanted to be at 18th & Vine.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

bathtub gin, speakeasies and brothels are the answer to 18th and Vine.
Bring it back!

We can't have the culturally magnificent 18th and Vine of yesteryear, unfortunately. If we want the culturally magnificent modern equivelant of 18th and Vine, we need some marijuana "coffeshops", bars and clubs with live music, brothels, and some gambling. We need to be on the edge of what is considered acceptable by society, like jazz was in the 1930s. Did you know that "negro jazz" music could posess white women to tap their feet!? OH THE IMMORAL HORROR!

Being on the cutting edge like we were in our heyday means accepting things that many people would consider unacceptable. Imagine what would happen if we completely abolished the liquor sale cutoff time citywide and instructed police to not arrest people with 'personal use' quantities of marijuana. Why, there'd be a jillion murders a minute! The city would collapse under the weight of its sin!

Or maybe people all over the continent would go, "wow, KC is a really sensible and progressive place. I should like to check it out sometime."
TheDude
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by TheDude »

right on, now you are talkin'! now all they need is a Febo (a la Amsterdam) for late night munchies; best fried gravy logs in the world!

"ALWAYS be closing"