Most Hated City in the Metro

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

What would you say is the most hated city/town in the metro?

Olathe?
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

KCK.....drag down the city image wise and don't vote for things like Bi-State
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
Good2Great
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Good2Great »

If you are really curious about THE most hated city in the metro it's KCMO. There are far more uninformed people who hate on KCMO than any other municipality.
KCSKYSCRAPERS changed my life. I was on the edge until I visited this site. Now I find myself longing to dive off a 60 story building onto a frozen fountain paying tribute to the St. Louis Arch.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

In general, Olathe is the most hated city in the metro. If OP is considered a lame, generic suburb; people see Olathe as OP's annoying cousin.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

It's Johnson County overall. There really isn't much difference between Olathe, Overland Park, etc. It's the whole collection. And it's hated for different reasons by different people... e.g. rampant sprawl, snobby attitudes, ignorance of other parts of the metro, stealing jobs, etc. (I'm not saying I agree with all of that, just stating common perceptions)
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Absolutely, without a doubt, it's got to be Lake Tapawingo.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Platte Woods! Ooohhh, I hate them Plate Woodsians!

What is this thread aiming to accomplish?
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by QueSi2Opie »

bahua wrote:Platte Woods! Ooohhh, I hate them Plate Woodsians!

What is this thread aiming to accomplish?
Nothin' really...jus' wantin' to see who everybody hates in the metro. Satisfying my own curiousity, I guess. Personally, I feel it's Olathe because everything they say or do seems to be anti-KC.

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
Brooksider
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Brooksider »

Personally I don't hate any cities in the metro. They all have their own personality. I do see Johnson county as the most hated over all though. I grew up in Lawrence and evn those folks hated Johnson county. If I ever had to move out of KCMO I'd pick NE Johnson county over any other part of the metro though, including KCMO North of the river.
Suburban Sprawl - Cut down all of the trees and name the streets after them.
Good2Great
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Good2Great »

freakin Raymore!
KCSKYSCRAPERS changed my life. I was on the edge until I visited this site. Now I find myself longing to dive off a 60 story building onto a frozen fountain paying tribute to the St. Louis Arch.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by QueSi2Opie »

Brooksider wrote:I do see Johnson county as the most hated over all though. I grew up in Lawrence and evn those folks hated Johnson county.
I know exactly what outsiders think of Johnson County...I use to be one. I don't know where all the new wealth in JOCO has come from, but there are many regular middle-class people that have always lived in JOCO that are not snobs. Many of these cities do have a history and have been around since the late-1800s. I know JOCO residents that have never lived anywhere else in the metro. There is history out here, like the Legler Barn Museum (1864) and Lenexa Frisco Depot (1912) in Lenexa, Old Shawnee Town (buildings circa 1834 - 1905) in Shawnee, Johnson County Museum of History (1931) in Shawnee, Mahaffie Farmstead (1865) in Olathe, Shawnee Mission State Historic Site (1839) in Fairway, Lanesfeild School State Historic Site (1869) in Edgerton, etc. Not everything out here is snobby or plastic.

The Summit
Pad site
Pad site

Post by The Summit »

This is a stupid question. Even though I am not exactly fond of many areas of town, there are not any cities that I hate. I could easily find issues with every area though.

So my vote goes to Unity Village. Just because I don't understand what it is.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

scooterj wrote:Absolutely, without a doubt, it's got to be Lake Tapawingo.

Ohhh, I wanna change my vote to Randolph. Their 20mph speed limit really chaps my hide.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

scooterj wrote:Ohhh, I wanna change my vote to Randolph. Their 20mph speed limit really chaps my hide.
Good call. That town's sole business is its speed trap.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'm with scooter....Randolph

StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

QueSi2Opie wrote: I know exactly what outsiders think of Johnson County...I use to be one. I don't know where all the new wealth in JOCO has come from, but there are many regular middle-class people that have always lived in JOCO that are not snobs. Many of these cities do have a history and have been around since the late-1800s. I know JOCO residents that have never lived anywhere else in the metro. There is history out here, like the Legler Barn Museum (1864) and Lenexa Frisco Depot (1912) in Lenexa, Old Shawnee Town (buildings circa 1834 - 1905) in Shawnee, Johnson County Museum of History (1931) in Shawnee, Mahaffie Farmstead (1865) in Olathe, Shawnee Mission State Historic Site (1839) in Fairway, Lanesfeild School State Historic Site (1869) in Edgerton, etc. Not everything out here is snobby or plastic.
WELL SAID, Q!

This thread reminds me that it never ceases to be amaze me of the aggregate ignorance portrayed by those in the Metro that hate places like Olathe, Lenexa and other historical cities in JoCo.

I would venture to guess that most folks that hate on JoCo don't know diddly squat about the 100 year history of places like Morehead, Stanley OP, Gardner and Olathe. ](*,)

Most of those folks that do the hatin' have prolly never done anything but drive through these locales anyway.
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

I would venture to guess that most folks that hate on JoCo don't know diddly squat about the 100 year history of places like Morehead, Stanley OP, Gardner and Olathe. ](*,)
As someone who has lived in Eastern Jackson County, Brooskside, Midtown, JoCo, and Downtown, I have to agree.

I have no problem with hating the sterility and blandness of much of the surburban JoCo areas, as well as the uppity trendy soccer mom mindset. But it's not fair to hate on cities like Lenexa and Olathe. They weren't built to be suburbs, they had suburbia thrust upon them. They did quite fine on their own back in the days they were a full day's journey out and the concept of them ever being part of KC was thoroughly incomprehensible.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

scooterj wrote:They did quite fine on their own back in the days they were a full day's journey out and the concept of them ever being part of KC was thoroughly incomprehensible.
When was that, 2001?

StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

KC wrote:
scooterj wrote:They did quite fine on their own back in the days they were a full day's journey out and the concept of them ever being part of KC was thoroughly incomprehensible.
When was that, 2001?
The population explosion started around 1980 or so.

Back then, the pop was prolly aroun 15 - 20k.

So, before then, it was basically a small city 20 miles from Kansas City that served as county seat of Jo Co, crossroads for "pioneers" and was bounded geographically by (roughly KC Road to the east/northeast and Troost Ave to the west.

They were just a dot on the map like DeSoto, Baldwin City and Gardner.
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Dan...missed my point...it was supposed to be a joke...

the part about him saying "the concept about being part of KC was thoroughly incomprehensible."....

damn I hate it when I have to explain jokes...lost it in the typing I guess.