ONGOING: The Obama Administration

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: ONGOING: The Obama Administration

Post by Tosspot »

velvetelvis wrote: What was on the pink/red sign before the bad photoshop job? Makes me think something else was on the white one....
Don't be stupid. On this photo the only use of Photoshop was to add the vignetting on the edges, and apply the watermarks. You think I'm actually going to invent stupid signs to make fools of these people? They manage to do that themselves.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
drumatix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by drumatix »

"President Barack Obama has chosen a top official with Mothers Against Drunk Driving to lead a Transportation agency that oversees safety and fuel efficiency requirements for automakers."

Well... this guy should really help make our roads 'safer' and might even get our auto industry rolling. The fellow in question actually has petitioned to make engine-starting breathalyzers mandatory in all cars.

Edit: sarcasm intended but never added through words/emoticons! :shock:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... QD97EK0P80
Last edited by drumatix on Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

I don't like the sound of that. As verboten as it may be to say, MADD is actually too fanatical in their crusades against drunk driving, in my opinion. At least judging by their insistence on the 21 year old drinking age, which is one of the most stupid policies to be shat out from government in the last 25 years or so.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Tosspot wrote: I don't like the sound of that. As verboten as it may be to say, MADD is actually too fanatical in their crusades against drunk driving, in my opinion. At least judging by their insistence on the 21 year old drinking age, which is one of the most stupid policies to be shat out from government in the last 25 years or so.
I also think MADD is way off in trying to pin the accountability of drunk driving on the establishment that served the alcohol.

I favor a European model when people are allowed to sample drinking at a young age, I let my kids sample wine and beer and they are not frothing young alcoholics-to-be (they are 14 and 16).  After living in Europe for 10 years, it seems really bizarre that the drinking age in the US is 21.  On the other hand, not having an effective public transportation system in most US cities means that 18-21 year old drinking is more likely than not to be followed by a potentially lethal drive home so I can see the resistance (but that's probably true for the 21+ crowd too).  This is another problem where effective public transportation could have a very positive effect.       
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Highlander wrote: I also think MADD is way off in trying to pin the accountability of drunk driving on the establishment that served the alcohol.

I favor a European model when people are allowed to sample drinking at a young age, I let my kids sample wine and beer and they are not frothing young alcoholics-to-be (they are 14 and 16).  After living in Europe for 10 years, it seems really bizarre that the drinking age in the US is 21.   On the other hand, not having an effective public transportation system in most US cities means that 18-21 year old drinking is more likely than not to be followed by a potentially lethal drive home so I can see the resistance (but that's probably true for the 21+ crowd too).   This is another problem where effective public transportation could have a very positive effect.       
Not just the lack of public transportation, the lack of neighborhood, family-oriented drinking establishments.  There is a big difference between drinking at the corner pub with Dad and Grandma on a Friday night v. driving around town looking for fun with a pack of your buddies and a case of canned beer in the backseat.  But most Americans would scream bloody murder if someone tried to open a pub near a residential neighborhood.  Plus it doesn't hurt that most young people in the UK have zero access to cars; if it cost thousands of dollars to get a drivers license and a car registration in the US, I am sure we would see a lot less teen drunk driving. 
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

So, let me see if I get it...

Hate Bush = Hate America and possibly a terrorist.

Hate Obama = Noble Patriot. 

Protest Government Policies under Bush = Hippie Counterrevolutionary

Protest Government Policies under Obama = Protecting our rights

These Tea Party's are almost as staged as Bush's "Public Forums."  Too bad the attendees don't have spellcheck. 
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

KCTigerFan wrote: So, let me see if I get it...

Hate Bush = Hate America and possibly a terrorist.

Hate Obama = Noble Patriot. 

Protest Government Policies under Bush = Hippie Counterrevolutionary

Protest Government Policies under Obama = Protecting our rights

These Tea Party's are almost as staged as Bush's "Public Forums."  Too bad the attendees don't have spellcheck. 

My favorite is:
Hate Obama = Racist
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Highlander wrote: I also think MADD is way off in trying to pin the accountability of drunk driving on the establishment that served the alcohol.

I favor a European model when people are allowed to sample drinking at a young age, I let my kids sample wine and beer and they are not frothing young alcoholics-to-be (they are 14 and 16).  After living in Europe for 10 years, it seems really bizarre that the drinking age in the US is 21.   On the other hand, not having an effective public transportation system in most US cities means that 18-21 year old drinking is more likely than not to be followed by a potentially lethal drive home so I can see the resistance (but that's probably true for the 21+ crowd too).   This is another problem where effective public transportation could have a very positive effect.       
Agreed. What message are we sending when we have bars surrounded by lagoons of parking? The problem isn't drinking, its the fact that people are encouraged to drive in every imaginable scenario and alternatives are either costly or inconvenient.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

KCMax wrote: Agreed. What message are we sending when we have bars surrounded by lagoons of parking? The problem isn't drinking, its the fact that people are encouraged to drive in every imaginable scenario and alternatives are either costly or inconvenient.
I tell you, it's no accident we chose a spot in Johnson County with no less than 5 bars in easy walking distance.  Nice work, Mission.  It may be time to revive the Mission dive bar crawl idea...