Fairway Russell Stover Candies - former BP Station

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Fairway BP Station

Post by mgsports »

The one in Sedaila has Ice Cream.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

It's supposed to have ice cream.  Russell Stovers was actually started in Denver, CO according to their website.  And NO, I have not had their sugar free chocolate...who eats sugar free chocolates anyway!!  (Unless you can't have sugar)
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

trailerkid wrote: WHO THE      CARES WHAT A GAS STATION IN FAIRWAY TURNS INTO?

Save your fail comments for stuff that actually matters. Sad that topics like this is what this discussion board has become.   

Exactly.  Thanks for the backup.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i don't get it - i thought a lot of people on this board, tk included, are in support of "neighborhood-level retail and amenities."  what is wrong with discussing the status of a prominent location in this particular neighborhood?  sure it's not the sprint center or light-rail, but it is certainly worth talking about - particularly after the developer is quoted in the paper as saying the BP will be replaced with something awesome for the neighborhood.  it could be a lot worse than a russell stover's store, but it's still pretty weak. 

seems odd that they would go through the expense/hassle of excavating a gas station for a freaking chocolate store.  i am glad it's a local business, but still. 
cityscape
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cityscape »

The Star article mentioned they would have part of the store as an ice cream parlor.  They also mentioned that they'll be making some specialty chocolates (truffles and such) on site.  So I don't think this is just going to be some over the top boxed chocolate store.  It sounds as though it will be a whole lot more.  In my opinion this is a decent addition to the area.  Especially since there are a lot of homes with children in walking distance.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

Abandoned/closed gas stations are one of the hardest types of properties to convert, because of the potential environmental liability related to the underground storage tanks.  Even new gas station operators are not keen to take over other gas stations without knowing the condition of the tanks. 

So the issue of who is taking over a gas station and converting it to a productive community asset is a great interest to some on this board.  When you're driving around KC, the abandoned gas stations occupying prime real estate are pretty depressing.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

chrizow wrote: i don't get it - i thought a lot of people on this board, tk included, are in support of "neighborhood-level retail and amenities."  what is wrong with discussing the status of a prominent location in this particular neighborhood?  sure it's not the sprint center or light-rail, but it is certainly worth talking about - particularly after the developer is quoted in the paper as saying the BP will be replaced with something awesome for the neighborhood.  it could be a lot worse than a russell stover's store, but it's still pretty weak.   

seems odd that they would go through the expense/hassle of excavating a gas station for a freaking chocolate store.  i am glad it's a local business, but still. 

I knew I'd catch some for being so flippant, but if we were discussing a gas station in Gladstone there wouldn't be any reaction at all and people would be making fun of mgsports for posting it. Because it's in a white, affluent, country club neighborhood suddenly it matters and all the suburbadroids are up in arms about getting a RS? I know it does matter to a lot of people and I think that's part of the problem in this "city"...

"FAIL" are you kidding me? It's a gas station on Shawnee Mission Parkway! Let the suburbs have their faux 50s ice cream parlors and chocolate shops or whatever it takes to dose them out of the reality of Kansas City. It's like only a matter of blocks from the Plaza-- waste your money at the many suburban chains in that area if you're so disappointed.
Last edited by trailerkid on Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
BEERMAN
Pad site
Pad site

Post by BEERMAN »

trailerkid wrote:

I knew I'd catch some for being so flippant, but if we were discussing a gas station in Gladstone there wouldn't be any reaction at all and people would be making fun of mgsports for posting it. Because it's in a white, affluent, country club neighborhood suddenly it matters and all the suburbadroids are up in arms about getting a RS? I know it does matter to a lot of people and I think that's part of the problem in this "city"...

"FAIL" are you kidding me? It's a gas station on Shawnee Mission Parkway! Let the suburbs have their faux 50s ice cream parlors and chocolate shops or whatever it takes to dose them out of the reality of Kansas City. It's like only a matter of blocks from the Plaza-- waste your money at the many suburban chains in that area if you're so disappointed.
Your right, I don't give a shit about Gladstone, 'the real reality of Kansas City' (according to you).  That's why I check this board everyday to read about new development in downtown and Kansas Suburbs.  That’s why this topic is placed in the 'Kansas Suburbs' section.  What's wrong with caring about new development within walking distance from my front door?  I thought that is what this forum was for.

Mmmm, I wonder what’s going on in Gladstone.  I guess I’ll go over to the ‘Missouri Suburbs’ section and let everyone know I don’t give a shit. 
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

trailerkid wrote: Because it's in a white, affluent, country club neighborhood suddenly it matters and all the suburbadroids are up in arms about getting a RS?
the point isn't that it's a "white, affluent, country club neighborhood."  i think people just had a small quantity of hope that something cool might be going in there since it is a nice little shopping area (akin to the crestwood shops) on such a high-traffic street that is a stone's throw from the plaza area (and in my view is an extension of the plaza area like the crestwood shops are). 

that said, the level of your outrage over our interest is much greater than the level of our interest.  we hoped for something halfway cool, and got something lame.  end of story. 

doesn't really matter to me anyway.  i wish something cool would open on troost since i am 1.5 blocks from there.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

If people care so little...why waste the time to post? Especially to "have someone's back"?
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

NDTeve wrote: If people care so little...why waste the time to post? Especially to "have someone's back"?
I don't have anyone's back on here. I just don't see how changing a gas station into a Russell Stover's makes all the white Kansans and pseudo Kansans get their panties in a bunch.
BEERMAN
Pad site
Pad site

Post by BEERMAN »

it fine, lets just drop it.

Maybe the idea is to get a box of candies and feed the aquarium fish cherry filled chocolates down the street.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

mgsports wrote: The one in Sedaila has Ice Cream.
If I take you to get some Ice Cream will you promise to never post threads on chain store openings in "Sedaila?"

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

trailerkid wrote: white Kansans and pseudo Kansans get their panties in a bunch.
dude, seriously?  is this the same tk who tracks all the suburban chains opening at oak park mall and extols the virtues of Which Wich and shit?  :lol:

good to know that a south hyde park resident and lifetime missourian is a "pseudo kansan" for having a micron of interest in what would replace a gas station in fairway....stereotype much?
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

chrizow wrote: "It will be something that will be great for the neighborhood and something everyone will like and enjoy,” said Shane Glazer of MSG Investments, Prairie Village, owner of the gas station site at 2814 Shawnee Mission Parkway.

:x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x
A Russel Stover Candy store sounds like something the elderly residents in Fairway, Mission, and Roeland Park would enjoy.
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

chrizow wrote: dude, seriously?  is this the same tk who tracks all the suburban chains opening at oak park mall and extols the virtues of Which Wich and shit?   :lol:

good to know that a south hyde park resident and lifetime missourian is a "pseudo kansan" for having a micron of interest in what would replace a gas station in fairway....stereotype much?
:lol:

Haven't gotten to the point where I'm concerned about what goes into old BP stations on SMP YET. I'll leave that to y'all and mgsports for now.
Last edited by trailerkid on Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

"pseudo Kansan"?    :roll:
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: "pseudo Kansan"?    :roll:
maybe he meant faux kansan? :D
I still say GoChicken go is a lot higher up on the food chain than ice cream and candy. Too bad.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

voltopt wrote: A Russel Stover Candy store sounds like something the elderly residents in Fairway, Mission, and Roeland Park would enjoy.
It is hell on their diabetes.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

KCMax wrote: It is hell on their diabetes.
And my waistline!

Although, to be quite honest, I don't think I've ever been inside of a Russel Stover's store, whether its in Kansas, Missouri, Texas, or Indonesia...
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton