Joco lifts another Downtown business

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

The small businesss Datacore Marketing is moving from the Loop to Westwood. The owner says that financial incentives offered by Kansas were so generous that they won out over his own desire to stay Downtown.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascit ... 118228.htm
(free registration required)

This whole thing is ridiculous. We need a pact within the metro area saying that businesses who move between counties or states will not get financial incentives - which should be reserved for companies moving into the metro area or considering leaving the metro. Maybe now that KCMO and Lee's Summit are starting to win some moves back into Missouri, Joco will finally see the senselessness of this game.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

...or maybe they'll step up the incentives.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

At least they moved to Westwood instead of Olathe. The only thing that pisses me off is that everyone in the metro knows how we're tryin' to boost business in our core, yet you still have these idiots pullin' them away.

Apparently KCMO didn't think Datacore was that important or they would've offered more incentives. I firmly believe KC has an ultimate goal to achieve before 2007, and Datacore didn't quite fit the priorities among the city's long list. Downtown is tryin' to lure in some large employers right now and don't have time to bargain with a selfish company that employs 80 people.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

The company I work for does a lot of work with Datacore. They are a bunch of asshats.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

QueSi2Opie wrote:Apparently KCMO didn't think Datacore was that important or they would've offered more incentives.
States almost always offer more incentives for new businesses than for existing ones. We don't know that KCMO didn't do everything it could to retain the company. The difference is that Westwood had state incentives available because the business is coming from out of state. It also happens in reverse. Now that Waddell and Reed has used up the money they got for moving from Missouri to Kansas, they are ready to move back and get the extra state incentives.
Brooksider
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Brooksider »

I just want to add that this isn't just a state thing. Cities in JoCo frequently take business from each other. Shawnee won Bayer away from Merriam.
Suburban Sprawl - Cut down all of the trees and name the streets after them.