801 Chop House

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

801 Chop House

Post by DaveKCMO »

this place is not listed on the restaurant week blog. when will it open?
MightyKC
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: 801 Chop House

Post by MightyKC »

Scheduled to open Friday.  Not sure if that is a soft opening or open to the public. 

A few weeks ago they had the menu posted on the window and it looks really pricy.  Made Bristol look like Red Lobster.  It was a la carte style and I believe a petit filet was $40.  Pretty steep when you figure in getting sides and a drink.  I'm willing to give it a shot but I'd better be blown away.
"I'm asking you to believe.  Not just in my ability to bring about real change in Washington ... I'm asking you to believe in yours."  - Barack Obama
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

MightyKC wrote:It was a la carte style and I believe a petit filet was $40.  Pretty steep when you figure in getting sides and a drink.  I'm willing to give it a shot but I'd better be blown away.
Holy crap, yeah, it better be dry aged mutant wagyu or something.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Isn't that pretty standard rates at the local high end steak places....P3, Capital, Mortons.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
MightyKC
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by MightyKC »

If you are serving it with a potato and veggie, yeah $40 isn't too bad.  Maybe I'm just cheap but $40 for an 8oz piece of meat sitting alone on a plate seems a bit much.  Here is the menu from 801 in Des Moines.

http://www.801steakandchop.com/801_Dinner_Menu.pdf
"I'm asking you to believe.  Not just in my ability to bring about real change in Washington ... I'm asking you to believe in yours."  - Barack Obama
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KCPowercat wrote: Isn't that pretty standard rates at the local high end steak places....P3, Capital, Mortons.
Yeah...good grief. This is like complaining about the prices at Plaza III. Old, WASPy, white man steakhouse...there are plenty of other places to get cheap food downtown.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

MightyKC wrote: If you are serving it with a potato and veggie, yeah $40 isn't too bad.  Maybe I'm just cheap but $40 for an 8oz piece of meat sitting alone on a plate seems a bit much.  Here is the menu from 801 in Des Moines.

http://www.801steakandchop.com/801_Dinner_Menu.pdf
It's not overpriced to the market...sure you might not want to pay it, but it's not out of control

http://www.plazaiiisteakhouse.com/countryclub/menu.pdf

MightyKC
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by MightyKC »

You're correct on the comparison to Plaza III and Sullivans.  I withdraw my previous statements that it seems overpriced when compared to other places around the city.

Here's Plaza III's menu

Damn you KCP!!!  Beat me to it!!
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: It's not overpriced to the market...sure you might not want to pay it, but it's not out of control

Also sounds about on par with Ruth's Chris and Mortons.  No idea whether the quality is on par though.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I just looked at their menu here, and it looks like they are in fact talking about dry aged prime beef. So, if those prices are correct, that's about in line with the market. A bit more than PIII on some items, a bit less on others. Hope it is as good.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Also sounds about on par with Ruth's Chris and Mortons.  No idea whether the quality is on par though.
To any foodies/restaurant insiders what is the opinion on this market (i.e. high end steakhouses) locally? Seems like we're quite saturated as a metro, yet the CBD is mostly untapped.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

trailerkid wrote: To any foodies/restaurant insiders what is the opinion on this market (i.e. high end steakhouses) locally? Seems like we're quite saturated as a metro, yet the CBD is mostly untapped.
I have never considered Morton's or Ruth's Chris' beef to be worth their price.  PIII on the other hand is pretty solid for the money.  The rest of the local steakhouses are decidedly more down market in their pricing and quality. 

As to market strength - I would say there is room.  Kansas City diners still pretty universally like a simple steak when they go out for a nice night out - Its not like folks in this town want high end French or complex concept dining.  Mortons is virtually invisible. 
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Perhaps surprisingly, the beef at Maker's Mark is pretty damn decent, fwiw.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I have no high end steakhouse knowledge but my bet is Morton's cleans up right now....and 801 isn't hurting their business one bit.

I've got my steakhouse (p3), I doubt I ever eat a steak at 801, but if they carry a good scotch selection, I'll darken their door.

Higginss
Surface Lot

Post by Higginss »

If anyone has ever dined at either 801 in Des Moines, or at the Paxton Chophouse in Omaha (the owners of 801 will have three restaurants when 801 opens in KC) you could attest to the quality of this restaurant.  As far as Morton's goes, there isn't one in either Omaha or Des Moines, but it wouldn't be competition anyways (ask the peeps at Fleming's how they have done in Des Moines since they opened a restaurant in 2006)  801 is THE steak house in Des Moines and the Paxton in Omaha, hands down!  Prices are right in line with the big boys, but wait til you see the sides, potatoes, and desserts.  Blows the competition away in the 2 markets they are currently in.  And let's not mention the wine list....OMG!  400-500 selections at each restaurant currently open.  If you are in business, this is the type of place that "Seals the Deal"
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

5 locals here kill it I am guessing. Its called a KC strip for a reason

chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

Higginss wrote: If anyone has ever dined at either 801 in Des Moines, or at the Paxton Chophouse in Omaha (the owners of 801 will have three restaurants when 801 opens in KC) you could attest to the quality of this restaurant.  As far as Morton's goes, there isn't one in either Omaha or Des Moines, but it wouldn't be competition anyways (ask the peeps at Fleming's how they have done in Des Moines since they opened a restaurant in 2006)  801 is THE steak house in Des Moines and the Paxton in Omaha, hands down!  Prices are right in line with the big boys, but wait til you see the sides, potatoes, and desserts.  Blows the competition away in the 2 markets they are currently in.  And let's not mention the wine list....OMG!  400-500 selections at each restaurant currently open.  If you are in business, this is the type of place that "Seals the Deal"
i refuse to believe you are not affiliated with 801 Chophouse.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Seconded.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I have found the first location in the P&L I am wishing goes down.  Bye.

Wait, maybe Famous Dave's....nah, too easy.....cool neon but goodbye 801.

PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

How come KCP?