Channel 9 leaving Downtown?

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

KMBC channel 9 is doing a story on downtown living and how easy it is on the 6pm broadcast tonight. (channel 12 on Time Warner). check it out!
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

That's big...9 is overwhelmingly the most viewed news station...downtown perception must be shifting.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Hopefully they find it's easy living for themselves, and decide to stay Downtown when they select a new location in the next few months.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

Damn, Danger, I forgot that they were looking for a new place. Wouldn't it be great for them to move to the south loop? Maybe add some outdoor video/tickers like New York? Hey! maybe they could take over the Empire theater. It would no longer be a performing venue, but they could add some public viewing areas, a broadcasting museum type of thing, attractions to invite and involve the public.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

Excellent story! Showed the Library lofts, and interviewed a resident who talked about how cool lt was to live there, and that there were things to downtown. He talked about the architecture, and the great views. Also showed a map of where the development is happening. It was very very cool!
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

It's on the front page of their website...you can watch the story.
http://www.thekansascitychannel.com/new ... etail.html

The penthouse at Library Lofts is AWESOME!!!
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Having the media pimping stuff like this is exactly the type of thing we need to shift perception. Go Channel 9!
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

This seems to be a trend among sub-million cities all over the country. I saw a USA Today the other weekend that said, "Midsize Cities get Hip" on the cover. Next to it, in a slightly smaller font, was another headline about Cancer research, but on a quick glance, like the one I gave it, it looked like USA Today was running a story called, "Midsize Cities get Hip Cancer."

I thought that was funny.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

tat2kc wrote:Damn, Danger, I forgot that they were looking for a new place. Wouldn't it be great for them to move to the south loop? Maybe add some outdoor video/tickers like New York? Hey! maybe they could take over the Empire theater. It would no longer be a performing venue, but they could add some public viewing areas, a broadcasting museum type of thing, attractions to invite and involve the public.
I recall a post on Gateway City Radio saying that they're moving just off of 435 in, I think, Shawnee. It definitely wasn't anywhere near downtown.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

Surely not. If it was off 435 in Shawnee, that would be far western edge of the metro. I hope your'e wrong!
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

I recall being surprised by that location because you'd think that a news operation would want to be located in the center of a metro so that they can get to breaking news in each area equally fast. But maybe they'll have bureaus in each major 'burb -- if they don't already -- to supplement the new HQ.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Damn, western Shawnee would barely even be in the metro area. If it's true, it's probably to pander more to the Lawrence audience, even though that city is in the Topeka TV market.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

Post the question on Gateway City Radio (http://www.gatewaycityradio.com/message ... cboard.asp). Somebody there should know.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Does Anyone Know Why Channel 9 Wants to Move?

Post by FangKC »

Does anyone know the reason Channel 9 wants to move?
There is no fifth destination.
Electric_Cactus
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Electric_Cactus »

Bahua, I also read that article (while standing in line at a QT.) If I recall, the article focused on Cincinnati as it's prime example.

Everyone who's read my posts before knows how little I care for Ohio, having lived there most of my childhood. But I have to say, I was there (in Cincy) for a conference in July and it is impressive there now. Not only is there quite a bit to do downtown, but it's bustling. Cincinnati is a lot like Kansas City (although we have more big buildings.) I walked through the Netherland Plaza,

http://www.travelingamerica.com/TA/TaHo ... natiOH.htm

which put me in the mind of the old department stores and hotels in Chicago. Many of the buildings are connected by air conditioned skywalk.

So yes, this sort of urban renewal is happening in other cities our size, and quite successfully at that.
"Quiet people aren't the only ones who don't say much."
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Does Anyone Know Why Channel 9 Wants to Move?

Post by dangerboy »

FangKC wrote:Does anyone know the reason Channel 9 wants to move?
They don't own their building. It's owned by the Lyric Opera, which might move to the new performing arts center in a few years instead of spending the money to maintain the older building. KMBC is also looking for a location where they can land their helicopter on-site.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Re: Does Anyone Know Why Channel 9 Wants to Move?

Post by QueSi2Opie »

dangerboy wrote:KMBC is also looking for a location where they can land their helicopter on-site.
They can move to the South Loop. At least stay in Missouri instead of becoming a JOCO news station.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
GuyInLenexa
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by GuyInLenexa »

Will KMBC use the Shawnee skyline as their backdrop for the anchor desk during the news? It seems to me there should be plenty of areas more in the central part of the metro for them to relocate to.
Czar
New York Life
New York Life

KCMO is providing Channel 9 with incentives! to move out

Post by Czar »

Channel 9 will be moving out to DST's office park by 435 and 63rd street. There was a great location for them downtown with extraordinary incentives but they passed it up. They should do a story on downtown every night for abandoning the core. shame. shame.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: KCMO is providing Channel 9 with incentives! to move out

Post by GRID »

Czar wrote:Channel 9 will be moving out to DST's office park by 435 and 63rd street. There was a great location for them downtown with extraordinary incentives but they passed it up. They should do a story on downtown every night for abandoning the core. shame. shame.
Really? Wow, I am dissapointed. At least they will stay in Missouri, but I don't understand. Choppers land all day long in the Downtown, Plaza area with all the hospitals etc, they could have stayed.

Channel 9 is by far the most profitable station in town, they could spend a little of that money and stay Downtown, but I am glad they will stay in Missouri. Doesn't matter to me much anyway, I like fox 4 and they have a very high profile urban core location too.

Is ABC and Time Warner affiliated? Cause you know that Time Warner is out at that office park as well.

Same goes for WHB, talk, talk, talk, about the reviving the urban core and they go to southern OP. They could be in an awesome building in the Crossroads District right now.

Oh well, at least some get the picture.