A Solution to Mass Transit Madness

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
Good2Great
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Good2Great »

We've spent many threads discussing the merits of mass transit as well as the ungodly expense involved in establishing a rapid transist system based on a light rail platform. Often, the arbitrary figure associated with such a plan is at minimum $200 million.

SOOOOOO....

For $200 million, we can buy 20,000 Hyundai's for the suckers who would actually use the light rail system. If the argument for light rail is that it takes people from home to work, the argument also needs to be made that the first thing many people buy when they become employed is a car. Why not side step the middle-man (light rail) and just blow the wad on buying 20,000 cars for these folk?

He shoots...he scores....urban planners throughout KC request change of underwear!
KCSKYSCRAPERS changed my life. I was on the edge until I visited this site. Now I find myself longing to dive off a 60 story building onto a frozen fountain paying tribute to the St. Louis Arch.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

You can't be serious. Are you that shortsighted? Do you think this is only about people getting to and from work? Do you think that Hyundais don't exhaust gas? Do you think that 20,000 more Hyundais somehow will only take up the space that a mass-transit line or system would take up?

Because if you aren't joking, then there are a couple of hooks in your brain that aren't quite hooking.
Good2Great
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Good2Great »

What if I were to tell you they came with power windows?
KCSKYSCRAPERS changed my life. I was on the edge until I visited this site. Now I find myself longing to dive off a 60 story building onto a frozen fountain paying tribute to the St. Louis Arch.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Now, if only we had a wheelbarrow and a holocaust cloak. That would be something.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

Cars for my BLIND studens who can't dive. hmmmm i assume that those cars will also be equipped so that those disabled folks who use the bus will have accessible cars? Or maybe personal drivers to take them anywhere anytime? What about the elderly who can no longer drive?

Oh and don't forget to factor in the costs associated with higher pollution, including the loss of some federal dollars because we don't meet the standards anymore.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by ShowME »

Is the state liable for the 20,000 Hyundai's auto insurance policy? Especially since a majority of the owners will live east of Troost and whose auto insurance premiums your problably not accustomed to. Also what about tags, gas and repairs not covered by Hyundai's warranties. And I assume when we're compared to cities such as Denver, MSP, St. Louis, Dallas etc. They brag about there light rail systems and we brag about 20,000 pieces of crap!
Calling a spade a spade.
Good2Great
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Good2Great »

tat2kc wrote:Cars for my BLIND students.
There's a reason the drive-thru ATM's are coded in brail!
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Guys, I think he's joking.
TheDude
Strip mall
Strip mall

lite rail my a$$

Post by TheDude »

actually the light rail cost is $1 billion+. how many of you trust the city of KCMO w/ a $1 billion system that will never be in the black?? We can hardly keep ATA running (see Pitch cover story) OR keep our bridges/streets maintained. With a $800 million deferred maintenance budget and over 25% of KCMO bridges in need of major repair or replacement, i would rather the $$ go to fix what we have! arghhhhh!
"ALWAYS be closing"
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Yep. That's what happens when the city finances something. It never gets paid off.
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

Forget the Hyundais....How about Segway people movers? They're Cheaper!...we could buy 40,000 of them!
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

zonk wrote:Forget the Hyundais....How about Segway people movers? They're Cheaper!...we could buy 40,000 of them!
Everybody'll be wishing for buses when it rains or snows.

Besides, when given the choice between a $4000 item and a way to get to work, it's my opinion that poor people will take the $4000 item, and try to get $4000 out of it, instead of using it.