Speeding Ticket

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
LindseyLohan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Speeding Ticket

Post by LindseyLohan »

Got a ticket for going 40 in a 35 on Southwest Trafficway this morning. 5 over is b/s but wah. I haven't got a ticket for 9 years so $100 bucks for a decade of speeding is well worth the time I saved by doing it.

I talked to a lawyer over lunch and he said it's a no point ticket and it won't ever show up a Missouri driving record. He said I don't need to worry about my insurance going up. As long as you are 5mph or less over the speed limit, you dodge a couple bullets. I just pay the fine and stay golden.

What I thought was interesting was my lawyer said KCPD has been handing out tickets like crazy recently for 5 mph over even if you are going faster. He said something has pissed off the police and they are doing this so no one drags them to court to have it dropped. Anybody heard of this? They are basically still writing tickets to produce the revenue of the fine and to prove they are working, but it is saving them time spent in the courthouse...who are they pissed at? Are they just working the system to save them the effort?
Sportster
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: Speeding Ticket

Post by Sportster »

LindseyLohan wrote: ...who are they pissed at? Are they just working the system to save them the effort?
My guess - and this is just a guess, PD is showing its disdain for the prosecutorial paradigm (or lack thereof) that exists in Jackson County. Given you can get caught driving a stolen auto and be charged with tampering by the county pros, then a judge lets you off with SIS, thusly "slapping" PD in the face for enforcing the law.
Shit like that doesn't happen in Cass, Platte or Clay. Its common practice in Jackson County.

Could also be a fuel saving measure - given the omnipotent and oh so forward thinking Chief Corwin budgeted his 2008 fuel cost at something like $3.00 a gallon.  :shock: :shock: Might be tellin traffic officers to keep the mileage down on the cars?

Sportster
...this chief needs to go
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Probably has more to do with ticket fixing.  There have been some folks around the city that have really had an ax to grind about the ticket fixing industry for lawyers and some efforts to eliminate it.  If the PD writes all of the tickets for $100/5mph over, there is nothing to fix - thus limiting the traffic lawyers' business. 
rosedalian
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by rosedalian »

A friend got a ticket from a Mission Hills policeperson coming up to the carriage club on State Line.  43 in a 30, but still relevant.  I wonder if this is the season for tickets?

Living on Southwest Blvd, I'm always paranoid about getting a ticket on my own street...
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Probably has more to do with ticket fixing.  There have been some folks around the city that have really had an ax to grind about the ticket fixing industry for lawyers and some efforts to eliminate it.  If the PD writes all of the tickets for $100/5mph over, there is nothing to fix - thus limiting the traffic lawyers' business. 
Although I certainly benefited from ticket fixing in high school, I find this possibility quite exciting.  Wouldn't it be great if the KCPD were pulling the carpet out from under northeast Johnson County lawyers who have been taking advantage of the Jackson County system since Trumam left the White House....
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

voltopt wrote: Although I certainly benefited from ticket fixing in high school, I find this possibility quite exciting.  Wouldn't it be great if the KCPD were pulling the carpet out from under northeast Johnson County lawyers who have been taking advantage of the Jackson County system since Trumam left the White House....
Northeast Johnson County Lawyers?  I am pretty sure that the courthouse is open to anyone admitted to the MoBar - in fact the biggest traffic firms are located in Westport and the Plaza.  And by the way - this is in no way remotely unique to KCMO - almost all of the suburbs allow ticket fixing in some form or another. 
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

I know.  I was feeling a little spicy this morning.  I apologize for my baiting!
I hadn't had my coffee quite yet.
Either way, I'd rather that revenue went to the county and not to the lawyers and judges who "fix" the tickets...

:D
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

While doing some work in Colorado, I got a ticket at 22 mph over the posted 65.  Went to a local attorney and enquired about getting the ticket "reduced".  He asked what I meant.  After I explained what I was after, he asked if I was serious.  I explained the system in Kansas City and he was incredulous and outraged. 

Guess we're unique?
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

LindseyLohan wrote: Got a ticket for going 40 in a 35 on Southwest Trafficway this morning. 5 over is b/s but wah. I haven't got a ticket for 9 years so $100 bucks for a decade of speeding is well worth the time I saved by doing it.

I talked to a lawyer over lunch and he said it's a no point ticket and it won't ever show up a Missouri driving record. He said I don't need to worry about my insurance going up. As long as you are 5mph or less over the speed limit, you dodge a couple bullets. I just pay the fine and stay golden.

What I thought was interesting was my lawyer said KCPD has been handing out tickets like crazy recently for 5 mph over even if you are going faster. He said something has pissed off the police and they are doing this so no one drags them to court to have it dropped. Anybody heard of this? They are basically still writing tickets to produce the revenue of the fine and to prove they are working, but it is saving them time spent in the courthouse...who are they pissed at? Are they just working the system to save them the effort?
Have heard someone else that this happened to as well. I think that Lawyer may be right on.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

loftguy wrote: Guess we're unique?
Not at all.  Its a state and local variable - but we are far from the only region where the practice occurs.  If your CO attorney went to court and vigorously defended the hell out of a lot of traffic tickets, questioning the cops, poking holes in the radar, etc. - the local prosecutors might start regularly offering pleas there too. 
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

loftguy wrote:
While doing some work in Colorado, I got a ticket at 22 mph over the posted 65.  Went to a local attorney and enquired about getting the ticket "reduced".  He asked what I meant.  After I explained what I was after, he asked if I was serious.  I explained the system in Kansas City and he was incredulous and outraged. 

Guess we're unique?
Uh yeah, Kansas City's system is absolutely ludicrous. Pretty much everywhere else, the way to get a ticket off your record is to wait three years.

One exception is the ability in some places to have a ticket replaced with probation by attending(and paying for) a defensive driving course, on top of the cost of your ticket. Some juridictions in Illinois do this, but they require that you have no outstanding tickets on your record within a period of time, and sometimes have restrictions that say that the credit is invalidated if you get another ticket within a certain period.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

Come on folks, let's be honest, who on here really has a problem with ticket fixing?  Other than cops, of course.  I mean, we've all been the beneficiary of a speeding ticket changed to a non-moving violation.  Everybody benefits.  The faulty driver gets to escape the wrath of his insurance company.  Nobody likes insurance companies anyway.  The city gets a lot of $$$ that it otherwise wouldn't have.  This $$$ is used, in part, to fund the very cops that are pissed about the ticket-fixing policy in the first place.  The $$$ is further used to fund the courts and the resources used in prosecuting serious crimes.  

If you think Kansas City is bad about ticket-fixing, you should look at a lot of other cities, especially small towns.  In KC, you at least get to use your own attorney or simply adjust the ticket yourself.  In many other cities, the court won't even talk to you unless you go through a local attorney or city attorney, thereby funneling even more $$$ into the city coffers.  

Ultimately, looking at the big picture, do we really care about simple speeding tickets?  We all do it.  As long as it's not happening in protected zones (school, residential, construction) fix the tickets and fund the city.    
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

bahua wrote: Uh yeah, Kansas City's system is absolutely ludicrous. Pretty much everywhere else, the way to get a ticket off your record is to wait three years.
This just isn't true. 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

who cares?  seems like a good benefit.  only people I see getting screwed here are the insurance companies that could have more dangerous drivers than they realize.  to that I say.....so what.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

KC-wildcat wrote: This just isn't true. 
I listed the exception. My point is that what people are accustomed to in Kansas City(getting away with speeding) is very much not the norm.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

KCPowercat wrote: who cares?  seems like a good benefit.  only people I see getting screwed here are the insurance companies that could have more dangerous drivers than they realize.  to that I say.....so what.
Well, they supply police departments with lidar/radar equipment for catching speeders, along with various other accoutrements for their mutually beneficial relationship. I would guess they'd have something to say about the KCPD cutting them out of the deal.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

who cares?  seems like a good benefit.  only people I see getting screwed here are the insurance companies that could have more dangerous drivers than they realize.  to that I say.....so what.
The other people getting screwed are the people that can barely afford insurance who can't really afford 1) the increased cost of the "fixing" or 2) the increase in insurance rates due to a moving violation.

I know it's their own fault - personal responsibility, blah, blah, blah. But, it seems a little unfair that the only people that can afford the increased insurance are the ones that don't have to deal with it because they just pay the authorities direct.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

bahua wrote: I listed the exception. My point is that what people are accustomed to in Kansas City(getting away with speeding) is very much not the norm.
Right, I simply disagree.  I think Kansas City's practice of ticket fixing is the norm nationwide, with exception to a few jurisdictions.  Courts don't take a hard line with the average Joe because there is no reason to.  The average guy who is reasonably speeding (not recklessly - 30 over) is not a big deal.  The courts have bigger fish to fry.  So, seeing as the court system is grossly underfunded to begin with, why not take the opportunity to make a little extra $$$.  Nobody is hurt.  Again, this practice shouldn't be used if the guy is drunk, recklessly speeding, or speeding in a protected zone.  

And in terms of the radar guns, they are not used just to punish speeders.  The benefit is to punish speeders who are doing other bad things.  Once a guy is pulled over, the cops can detain him and search the passenger compartment if they have reason to believe other bad stuff is going on.  smell weed, alcohol, see a gun, knife, kidnap victim, etc.  They can also run his license for possible outstanding warrants.  Point is, the radar gun is not used primarily to punish the average speed limit violator.  This is why the cops let you go on a warning half of the time if nothing suspicious shows up.    
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

WSPanic wrote: The other people getting screwed are the people that can barely afford insurance who can't really afford 1) the increased cost of the "fixing" or 2) the increase in insurance rates due to a moving violation.

I know it's their own fault - personal responsibility, blah, blah, blah. But, it seems a little unfair that the only people that can afford the increased insurance are the ones that don't have to deal with it because they just pay the authorities direct.
This is why these people should vote "yes" for light rail.  Don't have to have insurance to take public transit. 
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: who cares?  seems like a good benefit.  only people I see getting screwed here are the insurance companies that could have more dangerous drivers than they realize.  to that I say.....so what.
They have actuaries that are very skilled at making sure they don't get screwed.  You can be pretty sure that they have a very good idea of just how dangerous their drivers are and what their risk level is.  
bahua wrote: I listed the exception. My point is that what people are accustomed to in Kansas City(getting away with speeding) is very much not the norm.
I think similar practices are a bit more common than you think.  As Wildcat alluded - there are far more questionable jurisdictions out there.  Lots of small towns will do it, but only if you hire the prosecutor's golfing buddy to represent you, etc.  In several parts of thos metro, the prosecutor will actually talk and sometimes deal on a plea with an unrepresented offender - that would be unthinkable in some cities.  

There are usually pretty justifiable reasons for making the plea.  Traffic cases really usually boil down to a He Said/She Said between the cop and the offender.  There usually are no other witnesses and no tangible evidence.  Sure the cop usually has more credibility on the stand, but they aren't exactly the sort of airtight case that the prosecutor really wants to try and go and fight to the mats against a determined defense.  

The TV news attempted to run with this "story" awhile back and in the process of course painted KCMO to be grossly out of step with normallacy - which was about as accurate as any "in depth" local TV news expose.