Downtown Tanners closing?

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
wahoowa
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Downtown Tanners closing?

Post by wahoowa » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:46 am

bird scooter skate park on another level, streetcar bumper cars on another level

voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:08 pm

I was in the basement venue last Saturday night, from 7-10, listening to Vaughan Harrison perform. The place was full, and the intimate yet open nature of the space served it well.

scooterj
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by scooterj » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:25 pm

Every time this thread gets bumped I get worried about the downtown Tanners, then remember it's been gone for a decade.

It was funny going back to the start of this thread. I had all but forgotten about how every business that failed back then blamed either P&L or that customers couldn't smoke in them anymore.

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by flyingember » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:04 am

scooterj wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:25 pm
I had all but forgotten about how every business that failed back then blamed either P&L or that customers couldn't smoke in them anymore.
Even if smoking were allowed in businesses you wouldn't see many choose it because it's just not good business sense.
It's something that tends to alienate non-smokers and they're both the population majority and the income majority.

I am aware there's exceptions to the following, this is more of broad statements:

Smoking is down to nearly 15% of the population, it was above 20% only ten years ago. So a quarter of their customers stopped or died in the past decade.

Smoking has become something that's increasingly a low income activity. Income correlates with education level. People with a GED, 40% smoke. High school diploma, 20%, college degree, 8%.

Even only accounting for age, it's down over time among 18 year olds.

It's well known unemployment is connected to education level. During the recession GED individuals had about 4x the unemployment rate of college educated individuals.

And think about prices. A place catering to lower income individuals is going to be much more at risk of price increases and business drop offs.

So places catering to smokers were statistically more likely to close during the recession because their customers were more likely to become unemployed and unable to afford to go and they were more at risk to these fluctuations in business.

Addiction is only profitable if you sell the addiction.