Westport

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Westport

Post by TheSmokinPun »

I thought that concept burned itself out in 2011. I seem to remember another concept locally that never ended up opening at all long long ago.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

TheSmokinPun wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:54 pm I thought that concept burned itself out in 2011. I seem to remember another concept locally that never ended up opening at all long long ago.
Wasn't that the donut bar?
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

herrfrank wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:37 am ^Back in the 1990s this was a high-end Eurotrash "fashionista" store. Similar to Riccardi in Boston or what Hall's tried to do with "The Bridge." [Something] hardware IIRC was the name -- the project of the son of a nearby retailer who sold fancy imported fixtures and other bath/ kitchen/ lighting hardware (not Pride's). Cannot remember all the details now.
I love your recollection of local history. I'd DM you back but I can't because I get this error message "Some users couldn’t be added as they have disabled private message receipt.". Would you rather adjust that setting, or email? I'm up for either.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

Ugh saw street fighter this weekend. I thought he went to prison for attempted murder a few years ago?
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Sounds like another Mexican restaurant is set to open in the old Corner Restaurant space. Another one will be opening in the former Port Fonda space as well. Seems like a saturated market.

Also, the former Grimm Tattoo Museum building (around the corner from the former Tattoo Shop) burned Tuesday night. It has been declared a dangerous building. WTF is going on over there?

Hope a shiny new building rises on that corner soon!
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Is there an arsonist on the loose in the neighborhood?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

My bets are it's an insurance scam. Coupled with the fact that the property is listed for sale already, someone with bad intentions could have it listed and be burning it to get a lot more money.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Seems like an insurance scam to me, too.
Sirius_Blue
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Sirius_Blue »

Metro wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:58 pm Ugh saw street fighter this weekend. I thought he went to prison for attempted murder a few years ago?
Oh damn, I haven't seen him in a looooong time. Where did you spot him?
Sirius_Blue
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Sirius_Blue »

Midtownkid wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:03 pm Sounds like another Mexican restaurant is set to open in the old Corner Restaurant space. Another one will be opening in the former Port Fonda space as well. Seems like a saturated market.

Also, the former Grimm Tattoo Museum building (around the corner from the former Tattoo Shop) burned Tuesday night. It has been declared a dangerous building. WTF is going on over there?

Hope a shiny new building rises on that corner soon!
1. Looks like the taco place is going to be locally owned (https://www.kansascity.com/news/busines ... 90398.html), at least.

2. That Grimm building always weirded me out. That corner deserves some love.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Sirius_Blue wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:18 am 2. That Grimm building always weirded me out. That corner deserves some love.
Building torn down a couple of days ago. Was for sale, so not sure if it sold or they just realized it would sell better as a blank lot.
Developersanonymous
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Re: Westport - The Point Building

Post by Developersanonymous »

Just met with a couple of guys who are buying the old Point bar, more recently called Madison's. located at 917 W 44th st. (44th and Belleview). its been vacant for a while and they are looking for a tenant who has as something totally new. curious what this forum thinks of the location. could this ever be something beyond a sports bar? it seems to be a unique and cool property with awesome patio but plagued with bad operators. anyone have any thoughts on this? i think it has legs but wanted to see what others think.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I agree the space itself is cool. I was always surprised at the lack of imagination for the space.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

What happened to the country bar that was supposed to go in? Also, it sounds like Ale House isn't a sports and beer bar anymore but has turned into a bottle service type club. Anyone been there for awhile?
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Lived a block away for years. Saw cars hit corner of building may many times often with significant damage. With area becoming more dense and higher incomes, good spot. Actually not in Westport, but West Plaza.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

I feel like the location would be a lot better if Belleview & Madison weren't one way freeways too.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

TheSmokinPun wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:34 pm I feel like the location would be a lot better if Belleview & Madison weren't one way freeways too.
^This.

Road diet and this place becomes a neighborhood joint.
UMKCroo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by UMKCroo »

I worked here for a year when I was 15 as a bus boy at the "New Pointe Grill" Jazz Club. I think(?) this was the first restaurant/bar concept in this space, at least in the modern area. It was great. At least that's what I remember as a 15 year old bus boy. Full service restaurant with live jazz every night. All of the heavy hitters were there. Incredible music, in an intimate setting.

I have now been in the restaurant business for the last 20 plus years and realize how bad of a business model that was. it wouldn't work again. With that said, man we need another jazz club in this city. We have no business selling jazz as a cultural amenity in this city unless we start to build the infrastructure to support such a claim. We are lucky that we have the UMKC jazz program continuing to attract and turn out ambitious young musicians, but with the lack of opportunity locally, there isn't much reason for anyone to stay.

I feel like a jazz venue here could be successful. Close enough to Westport and Plaza to have a little cache and attract out of owners, but the parking and overall setting wouldn't scare away the suburbanites that would be needed to make it successful. The space itself reminds me of some of the best jazz clubs I have visited internationally (minus the almost total lack of walkability). If I remember correctly, and if portioned correctly, there could be at least 2 shows going (upstairs and downstairs).

On the other hand, maybe its just best as a neighborhood bar without the shootings.
bobthebiker
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by bobthebiker »

Live in the area went here 1 time in the time that it was open. It was prime brunch time on a weekend and pretty sure we were the only two people in. I'm honestly surprised it made it as long as it did. However it literally had no external markings indicating that it was a business. Pretty sure I had to google it to figure out it was actually not some private club or something.

Southwest trafficway was it's undoing in my opinion. Has a great patio but car noise pretty much negates it. SW trfy acts like a physical barrier when trying to go there.

I don't think it's rocket science to get that place to survive. Especially with ~200 new residents right across the street and many more within 1-2 blocks. Advocate for a crosswalk there. Maybe see if you can get street parking put in on belleview on the West side which would narrow and slow traffic. I think that does enough to calm the Southbound sewer to make the patio worthwhile.

In other notes the Country Club Bank right there has to be one of the most suburban style banks in all of midtown. Woof.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

bobthebiker wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:15 amMaybe see if you can get street parking put in on belleview on the West side which would narrow and slow traffic.
All great suggestions, especially the crosswalk. But, there’s no way I’d park on Belleview unless I hated my car and wanted to crash it out for insurance money.