Winsteads?

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
Dr. Know
Pad site
Pad site

Winsteads?

Post by Dr. Know »

I've noticed Winsteads in One KC Place is gone.  I've also noticed quite a few of the old places I eat at for lunch seem to be doing half the business now that the P & L is open.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Winsteads?

Post by KCPowercat »

it is?  that's odd....hadn't been by there lately to notice...I worked downtown for years before I even knew that was there.

My normal lunch places seem to be just as busy as ever.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

When did that happen?  Last time I walked by they had a sign out on the sidewalk during lunch.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Winstead's gone. The Mango Room.  Not good for downtown having these off P&L restaurants closing.  Winstead's always had a bad location in my estimation.  I always thought they would do better in a different location downtown.  One place that comes to mind is the new building on the NW corner of 14th and Main across from the Mainstreet Theater.
There is no fifth destination.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

FangKC wrote: Winstead's gone. The Mango Room.
Can you elaborate on this cryptic statement? Is the Mango Room closing?
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

bahua wrote: Can you elaborate on this cryptic statement? Is the Mango Room closing?
It has already closed  http://forum.kcrag.com/index.php?topic=5353.0;topicseen
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

I'm bummed Winstead's closed, but these office tower food courts are doomed now that we have the P&L and other places on the periphery.  5-7 years ago there was almost nothing in the CBD but the food courts in One KC, City Center Square, and Town Pavilion.  Now those places are kinda obsolete.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

dangerboy wrote: I'm bummed Winstead's closed, but these office tower food courts are doomed now that we have the P&L and other places on the periphery.  5-7 years ago there was almost nothing in the CBD but the food courts in One KC, City Center Square, and Town Pavilion.  Now those places are kinda obsolete.
I would think that there was still a very good market for food court fast food considering it is cheaper, quicker and probably closer to most offices downtown than the P&L District.  I would not think the average worker downtown wants a 15$ lunch everytime they go out. 

When did most of the restaurants in the P&L District open up?  February - March?  Just seems to be a little quick that places would be closing down after two bad months.  I went to the Mango room two years ago while in town and at the height of the lunch hour, there were only two tables occupied.  It seems if they could survive other low points, the past two months wasn't going to kill them.  Of course, they could just be reading what they feel is the writing on the wall and cutting potential losses. 

How are the other area restaurants in the crossroads and crown center doing?  1924 Main, Bulldog and the likes. 

What downtown needs more than anything else is to sign a few big tenants to prop up the local lunch business.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Highlander wrote: I would think that there was still a very good market for food court fast food considering it is cheaper, quicker and probably closer to most offices downtown than the P&L District.  I would not think the average worker downtown wants a 15$ lunch everytime they go out. 
Definitely still a market for inexpensive lunch, but it doesn't have to be in a food court.  Move these places out to the street where so you have to walk by them on your way to P&L.