Is Have a Nice Day Cafe closed?

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Anybody know? There was something in the paper about something else opening in their space...I never knew it closed.....
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Yaaaaaaaay!!

That's what you get for not having beer on tap, bitches!!

Hoooorraaaaayyyy!!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I agree but where will all the bachlorette parties go? I hated the place but it did have it's niche market.

bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

They can go to AMERICA'S PUUUUUUUHHHHBBB or XO.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

KC wrote:I agree but where will all the bachlorette parties go? I hated the place but it did have it's niche market.
They still got Stanford's, XO, and America's Pub. And they can still end the night by getting kicked out of the Hurricane.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

There's a new tropical Alcapulco themed restaurant/club goin' into the old Have A Nice Day spot. It's scheduled to open today I believe? They'll feature both live music and a DJ in the evenings.

KC doesn't have many great nightlife options in terms of clubs...it's a shame because I know people are wanting some new entertainment clubs/complexes. As far as clubs, I personally like trance and trip-hop, but XO gets boring and the regular DJ sucks, Aqua is too small, Empire Room is too empty. I also enjoy venturing to unique pubs before goin' to the clubs. I've never been the martini/cigar bar type.

I still miss The Edge, even though it was a gay club, the DJ was decent and it had style...especially enjoyed watchin' the drag queens.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

There are also a few places that feature electronica and such, like the Palladium, Hollywood Room, Jilly's, etc.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

the DB warehouse has great DJ's and i've seen lots of women there for Bacheloerette parties. (Even though it is gay! :wink: )
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by QueSi2Opie »

dangerboy wrote:There are also a few places that feature electronica and such, like the Palladium, Hollywood Room, Jilly's, etc.
I've been to the Palladium, where's Hollywood Room and Jilly's? I guess I haven't been clubbin' in a while, so I'm no longer up-to-date on these things. :oops:

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

for those that like dancing, specifically to nice soulful house music, go to Kabal in the City Market on Thursday nights for a night called "Frisky," ESPECIALLY when there is an out-of-town guest DJ.

also, deep connections, the guys that throw Frisky, sometimes do a Frisky event on Saturdays, so keep your eyes out for flyers about that.

very good times, very cool, diverse crowd, and Kabal is a very very cool place. easily the best club in KC when it's going well.

also Que, if you like trance, you should check it out on Fridays and Saturdays when Paul Dematteo spins there with some out-of-towners. Sat. Oct. 25th, D:Fuse from TX will be there, which is a show not to be missed.

(also 2-4-1 Boulevards on Thursdays! hehe)
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by QueSi2Opie »

chrizow wrote:for those that like dancing, specifically to nice soulful house music, go to Kabal in the City Market on Thursday nights for a night called "Frisky," ESPECIALLY when there is an out-of-town guest DJ.

also, deep connections, the guys that throw Frisky, sometimes do a Frisky event on Saturdays, so keep your eyes out for flyers about that.

very good times, very cool, diverse crowd, and Kabal is a very very cool place. easily the best club in KC when it's going well.

also Que, if you like trance, you should check it out on Fridays and Saturdays when Paul Dematteo spins there with some out-of-towners. Sat. Oct. 25th, D:Fuse from TX will be there, which is a show not to be missed.

(also 2-4-1 Boulevards on Thursdays! hehe)
Looks like I'll be headin' to Kabal! Thanks Chriz!

Anyhow, what's everyone's suggestion/opinion on a great place (as far as a bar or club) to take an out-of-town guest?

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

depending on the person:

techo/club - I still like XO for out of towners....DB Complexxx would also be good.

general bar - Kelly's...nothing like a tradition at least for a little bit.

sports bar - Chapell's up north is really cool but in the core, I'd say city market Minsky's is a great place to watch a game...Falloon is also good...maybe George brett grille when it opens.

country - Beamount club?

comedy club - Stanfords...just don't get into a fight.

MidtownGrrl
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by MidtownGrrl »

We tend to take guests to McCoy's for a casual dinner and brews. If the weather is nice, it's entertaining to people watch. And I think their food is good and accomodates a variety of eating styles (vegetarian, kid friendly, meat lover, etc), which can be an issue for my guests.

We also love the Westport Flea Market, for a burger and brew.

I don't dance, so I can't speak to clubs that offer that.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Que, Jilly's is on Broadway, between Bartle and SW Blvd. The Hollywood room is in the Crossroads. It's as private event venue owned by the Hereford House, but I've heard about several DJ gigs going on there.

I second KC's vote on Chapells. The place is huge, with amazing memorabilia everywhere. It's on Armour in the Northtown shopping district. I also like to take visitors to the River Market Brewery, d'Bronx, and Italian Gardens.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by QueSi2Opie »

MidtownGrrl wrote:We tend to take guests to McCoy's for a casual dinner and brews. If the weather is nice, it's entertaining to people watch. And I think their food is good and accomodates a variety of eating styles (vegetarian, kid friendly, meat lover, etc), which can be an issue for my guests.

We also love the Westport Flea Market, for a burger and brew.

I don't dance, so I can't speak to clubs that offer that.
I've eaten at both Westport Flea Market and McCoy's (several times), and I still like McCoy's burgers better...it's the great flavor! I also like McCoy's hummus and the beer sampler.

I'd like suggestions for East Coast out-of-towner guests. Perferably a bar/club that gets packed, has a great atmosphere and style, etc. The last two times I've been to XO, seemed it was over-ran by Vietnamese (jus' like Columbus Park has been).

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Velvet Dog and Empire room have good style.....KC is missing a high end dance club where people dress to impress...around here that isn't done at dance clubs.

chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

right on, KC. at any given club in KC (XO, Kabal, Aqua, Velvet Dog, etc.) there will be a few who try to look hip and nice, but, alas, this is KC, and for every person (female and male) who makes an effort to go out looking good, there is at least one person who comes looking nasty.

i mean, if you're going to go pay 10 bucks for a martini, at least look like you didn't come there directly from Kmart....heheh, maybe i am just a snob.

surprisingly, there are a few VERY cool clubs in st. louis where people generally dress awesome - Velvet (www.velvetvibes.com), Rue 13 (Velvet's sushi lounge), Tangerine, and (usually) Lo.

as much as KC and STL are neck-and-neck in most respects, they have way more cool clubs and bars. (in addition to about 10,000 Joe Schmoe corner bars which add a nice neighborhood feel).
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

God, how I hate american discotheques. It just seems like the bequeathment of culture to the fratboys and sorority girls.

I went to Velvet in STL a few years ago, and found it to be just what I have seen all through college, except that they let people under 21 in(18 I think). If you want to be considered "classy," at least keep the kids out.

I suppose it comes down to a matter of taste, and no good beer on tap, no quiet tables for a conversation, a charge just for the privilege of walking in the door, and obnoxious bootie music do not appeal to my taste.

I guess enough people do like it though, so yeah, whatever.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

bahua -

i agree. when Velvet opened, it was just as you say...

but now it's easily one of the US best clubs, ESPECIALLY outside of nyc/miami/LA/etc. great sound, great lights, great crowd, 21+ these days, great guest DJs (john digweed, dave aude, BBB, you name it).

just my $.02.
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

QueSi2Opie wrote:I'd like suggestions for East Coast out-of-towner guests. Perferably a bar/club that gets packed, has a great atmosphere and style, etc. The last two times I've been to XO, seemed it was over-ran by Vietnamese (jus' like Columbus Park has been).
You could try Apt. - the bar in the basement of Mi Cocina. Hip, young crowd with some pretty progressive music by the DJ. They can be selective about who gets down there on the weekends. There's also the Red Room in the basement of ReVerse. Both are smaller rooms and have stylish crowds and good music.

Kona Grill is a bit more generic, but is always crowded.

About the only place I go in Westport anymore is The Hurricane. Although they've strayed a bit from their rock roots, its still a good place inside. Saw a great band there last Friday.

Its too bad that Victor Fontana didn't re-create The Edge instead of opening Frankie's on the Plaza. That was the best bar in KC back in the day.
Last edited by KCLofts on Mon Oct 13, 2003 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.